SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic Country Music
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Country Music Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
We’ve got the 15 page thread of classic rock from the 60s and 70s. Country Music died (IMO) sometime around the millennium, and at least on corporate radio, doesn’t appear to be coming back. So much great music in years past though, Telecasters, pedal steel, and great lyrics. Here’s the first of what I hope is a thriving thread of classic Country.

There’s a long list of great recordings from Johnny Rodriguez. He makes me think of my years in NE Utah as a Forest Service seasonal.

This song was written by Hillman Hall, brother of Tom T Hall.

Pedal steel on this song is Pete Drake. There may be songs with steel guitar as good as this, but none better. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame just last year, and he’s currently the only pedal steel player to have been inducted.

No more than 3 at a time, please.

Posts: 13230 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me country music ended in the early, early 80’s. Very few folks alive that I listened to, well, Willie is still kicking’.

I listened to Bob Wills & putting on the Hag now.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The past two evenings I've been digging some Don Gibson songs on YouTube. Sadly, I drifted away from following Country not long after life changed in '88 due to a career beginning.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I grew up with a set of Grandparents that loved Country, watched Hee Haw religiously, and have an Uncle that played Dobro in a local bluegrass band,

as a Child who went to high school in the late 70's and early 80's (class of 81) I fell in love with Punk and New Wave and despised the rest,

now, having said that, I did like Dwight Yoakum, and later got a big taste of Acoustic via Dave Grisman, then Tony Rice, the the McCoury's and have become a big Bluegrass fan,

and have begun to realize the country of the 60's sand 70's was for the most part good,

granted, I also think Patty Loveless is very easy on the eyes,

so, in a long winded way, I agree,
not so much a big fan of Willie or Waylon, (that was played to death to me) but do appreciate some country up until the looks got past the song writing,

now Country is basically easy listening, and what really gives me a chuckle, is Darius Rucker became country, but still basically plays hootie and the blowfish music with a twang,,,

FWIW, and sorry to ramble, but I think Roy Clark, Glen Campbell and Jerry Reed are better guitar players that most in the Rock and Roll genre,

most, not all,

and I have learned to appreciate Buck Owens

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
now Country is basically easy listening,

I find modern country music like a bad parody. A bunch of guys sounding like they think they're supposed to sound, or doing what corporate tells them. I've always said country singers were fake. lol The twang, the affect. Now days when I hear it it's so bad I cringe. Linguistically speaking a British accent and a southern accent are very close to being the same thing. Yet when Brits sing, really no accent. Country? Tons of accent. It's a put on. Big Grin

Give me some Hanks. Williams, Snow, Locklin, Penny, Thompson.

Jr. Hanks? No thanks.

(I only know one Hank Garland song and nothing really of Hank Cochran)

I grew up on Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash and Don Williams through my dad.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1549 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m surprised, I thought this thread would be active. Oh well, here’s my favorite of all, Merle Haggard, from my favorite album—the title track.

I believe there was good Country music into the 90s. Here’s one.

Posts: 13230 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We lost one of the driving forces from the '50s and '60 Nashville scene a few days ago. I was just reading that Anita Kerr, who led the singing group given her name and provided many hits with supporting voices has passed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/musi...406bac29f88b5fef01e1

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yuge fan of classic country, which I define as (roughly) 70's and 80's. Never much cared for the real early Hank Sr. type stuff, but Don Williams, Waylon/Willie, Merle, Alabama, Glen Campbell, George Strait, etc..., yep...good stuff.

Here's a few:

Posts: 20070 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Give me some Hank Williams. George Jones. Even some George Strait.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Here ya go, Texas

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A favorite I've posted before.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I said I grew up listening to among others, Don Williams. As a kid and then young teen, I wasn't really a fan. My dad listened to it. Because his tapes (8 tracks lol) were in one of the trucks, my sister's boyfriend who worked for my dad (and eventually became my brother in law) became a fan and listened to them. So I had to listen to them riding/working with him as well. I really didn't care for it. And I can recall absolutely HATING this song in particular, thinking it was the dumbest song I'd ever heard. lol
Not too many years later I started to a appreciate it and became a big fan. Now this to me is the quintessential Don Williams song and possibly my favorite. Funny how that works.

As a 14 year old I didn't get that he was making small talk and changing the subject rather than telling her how he really felt. I just thought it was stupid and didn't make any sense.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hankshaw Hawkins was killed in the same plane crash that took Patsy Cline’s life.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Lefty Frizzell.

Posts: 1549 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
He only did what he had to do...And now, he's growing old...

Posts: 20070 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[ [FLASH_VIDEO] /FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

I worked with a rancher in Utah that loved Charlie Pride, he also loved to sing, and had a pretty good voice too. The trouble was, he only knew a 3 or 4 lines from any given song, so he would sing them over-and over.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post