SIGforum
City names that the new local broadcasters really dislike

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4060007734

February 13, 2018, 12:26 PM
bendable
City names that the new local broadcasters really dislike
Here in Iowa they screw up maquoketa, iowa and Okoboji, on a regular basis, its fun , it makes me smile.

In southern Arizona , there is Fort Huachuca.

the new broadcasters that move to Washington state used to mis pronounce Chehalis.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
February 13, 2018, 12:41 PM
Jim Shugart
There's a county in Northern Virginia named Fauquier County. I convinced my first wife that it had a slightly different pronunciation than it really has. Everyone except her was amused.

(I also convinced her that the river that runs through Fredericksburg, VA is the 'Fred', not the 'Rappahannock'.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
February 13, 2018, 02:36 PM
HRK
We have Kissimmee, which is located right off Lake Tohopekaliga so getyasomeofthat...
February 13, 2018, 04:28 PM
TMats
Kearney, Madrid, and Beatrice in Nebraska

Dubois and Rawlins here in Wyoming

There are a few on the Big Res in Arizona and there's an old joke about Ajo

February 13, 2018, 08:08 PM
mutedblade
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
There's a county in Northern Virginia named Fauquier County. I convinced my first wife that it had a slightly different pronunciation than it really has. Everyone except her was amused.

(I also convinced her that the river that runs through Fredericksburg, VA is the 'Fred', not the 'Rappahannock'.)

Good stuff. My little brother was born at the Fauquier Hospital...I still call him a "Queer" baby Wink

February 13, 2018, 08:13 PM
f2
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
there is Fort Huachuca.
I remember that from Scent of a Woman (1992), where it earned an IMDB goof (Errors in geography). I don't know if Pacino pronounced it correctly though.
February 13, 2018, 09:13 PM
craigcpa
Fuquay-Varina. Actually, and literally, two separate villages, Fuquay and Varina, separated by railroad tracks.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
February 13, 2018, 09:29 PM
Vgex
Bexar county here in Texas is pronounced "Bear". Silent "x". Manchaca in Austin is pronounced Man-check, to all Hispanics chagrin. Burnett is Burn-it.

You know, real 'against common sense' pronunciations.

If this is part of some shtick, I apologize for my ignorance.
February 13, 2018, 10:21 PM
Chach
They all need to take lessons from this guy.

February 13, 2018, 11:03 PM
Kevbo
I live just outside the Fauquier County line

South of

Man ass ass

Manassas, Va....famous only becaus a lot of people died here in 1861 and 1862

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?
February 14, 2018, 08:05 AM
TMats
quote:
Bexar county here in Texas is pronounced "Bear". Silent "x".

So do the locals pronounce it just like you wrote, or is there a suggestion of two syllables? Like “bay-ar?”

February 14, 2018, 08:23 AM
zoom6zoom
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
They all need to take lessons from this guy.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fHxO0UdpoxM" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

This is why Wheel of Fortune never caught on in Wales. Nobody will buy a damn vowel.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
February 14, 2018, 09:12 AM
smschulz
quote:
Here in Iowa they screw up maquoketa, iowa and Okoboji, on a regular basis, its fun , it makes me smile.

In southern Arizona , there is Fort Huachuca.

the new broadcasters that move to Washington state used to mis pronounce Chehalis.

I can see why.
Growing up in Iowa I am very familiar with those names but the AZ one I would have to think and sound it out. Eek
February 14, 2018, 10:04 AM
MG34_Dan
Well there's Mocanaqua right across the Susquehanna from Shickshinny. You know the place. It's just north of Wapwallopen. Fishing was good along that stretch of the river, back in the '60s and early '70s.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009
February 14, 2018, 11:15 AM
2000Z-71
Tucson. Yes the new weather chick on the news got that one wrong the other night and pronounced it Tucksone. Really?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
February 14, 2018, 11:23 AM
Opus Dei
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Burnett is Burn-it.
Not calling you on the spelling, but it gets mispronounced that way because people spell it incorrectly. There's only one T.

On that note, Austin does have a few streets/areas that are regularly botched. I remember television commercial calling Cameron Rd. "Cammer-on". And then there's Elgin..not El-jin. Oh, I forgot Guadalupe St. I think that's the only place in Texas that pronounces it "Guadaloop".
February 14, 2018, 01:24 PM
DSgrouse
quote:

Let alone Puyallup, Snoqualmie, Issaquah,
February 14, 2018, 07:46 PM
mikeyspizza
Cherryville NC is pronounced Cher-a-ville.
February 15, 2018, 01:47 AM
SigSAC
In California, I've heard some humorous pronunciations for:

Suisun City
Vallejo
Mokelumne River
February 15, 2018, 08:44 PM
BB61
Tooele, Mantua and Nephi in Utah.