SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Why does Nickelback get such a bad rap?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does Nickelback get such a bad rap? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I have one Nickelback album. I don't get the hate.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I liked them back when "Leader of Men" was a video on MTV. My girlfriend in college really wanted to see them when they came to play our college back in fall of '01. Chad Kroeger was a total douchebag the whole set. I can't remember the details, but we both came away from it never wanting to listen to their stuff again. The opening band was far better, put on a much better show and I wish I could remember who it was.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Limp Bizkit. They had one or two songs that were decent. But the bands persona guaranteed they would burn out quickly.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to add this but Nickelback puts on a pretty good concert.

One of my pet peeves with concerts in general is having enough good material (lol I know) to have a 2-3 hour concert.

We just went to a Rod Stewart concert this summer and he is a great example. He has so much material, and good material, that you know all the songs and don't get stuck listening to B side crap or shitty new material that sucks. Well, Nickelback like them or not has tons of songs you know the words to. Couple cocktails, couple friends, it's a good time.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Kinda like "Doritos is a corn chip"

Right?

Ah, skip it

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
They sure get the sluts shaking booties.

Someone has to do it.

"OH there they are, cool"

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Nickelback does seem to be the butt of a lot of jokes, some deserved, some not.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I own two Nickelback CDs. I'm not proud of that, but there it is. Judge me as you wish.

No judging here. I have three - in ascending release order, Curb, The State and Silver Side Up. The songs on these are fairly "dark" and "edgy." After that, as RogueJSK said, they do sound "generic" and "pop," exemplified by songs like "Photograph" and "Rockstar." Here is one song apiece from the aforementioned CDs.

What concert costs 45 cents? 50 Cent and Nickelback. Razz

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I like them, and I don't know why or care why they're disliked.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I bought the State in 2000 (I liked it) and saw them play locally with 2 other bands that same year. The second band (Nickleback played last) UPO, killed it that night and Nickleback played just adequately by comparison. Chad Kroger came off as a punchable douche during the set and nothing about him that I have seen or heard since caused me to alter that opinion. Their next album, whatever it was called, I didn’t care for at all and as a result, I just gradually quit listening to the State and data dumped Nickelback for the most part.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was never a big fan of their music but on a positive note, their music video with the guy holding up the photograph was solid gold meme material. Big Grin

Hey look at this photograph

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I was never a big fan of their music but on a positive note, their music video with the guy holding up the photograph was solid gold meme material. Big Grin

Or look at this graph.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I bought the State in 2000 (I liked it) and saw them play locally with 2 other bands that same year. The second band (Nickleback played last) UPO, killed it that night and Nickleback played just adequately by comparison. Chad Kroger came off as a punchable douche during the set and nothing about him that I have seen or heard since caused me to alter that opinion. Their next album, whatever it was called, I didn’t care for at all and as a result, I just gradually quit listening to the State and data dumped Nickelback for the most part.

Same story from two members on the same page, a sample of two from about a year's time, back before they totally blew up to mega-star status. I'd hazard a bet that neither of us experienced a one-off and enough people eventually got to see them live and form the same opinion. Kroeger was a raging douche on stage. One thing I remember was his tech brought out a guitar to swap him for a string change or something, and Kroeger into the mic for an entire stadium packed to the gills: "Are you fucking high? You are, aren't you. Wow, you are fucking baked. Did you bring enough for the class?" Made the guy answer a negative into the mic to get booed by thousands of college kids. Poor guy looked terrified. Chad offered some more choice comments after the kid walked off stage. Pure class.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It could be the cringey bland overplayed generic pop rock songs that all sound the same.

I'm not a fan, and don't own any of their records. But I have heard a number of their hit songs and I find them unimaginative, un-original, without substance musically or lyric wise. IMO, their songs all seem to use the same chord structures, tempos, cadence, timbre, etc., relying on cliches of grunge music. But then I feel like this about some other bands- Creed, Maroon 5, Blink 182, etc.

They are a commercialized, radio-friendly version of a "grunge" band, a genre I did not embrace too much, since I much preferred the music of their predecessors in the 80s (Husker Du, The Pixies, The Replacements). But they did a good job of it, they sold a lot of records.

Well, I liked all of the above bands listed.
Nickelback
Creed
Maroon 5
Blink 182
Hootie & The Blowfish
+ others of the era.
Don’t know what that means. Don’t care what that means. I just liked and listen to them.

P.S. Quit listening to Hootie in his country version. To each his own.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I gave their wiki a quick look and Kroeger is interviewed as saying he spent a long time totally dissecting all the hit rock songs to see what made them work. It's not rocket science reverse-engineering this stuff. I can't find it just now, but a few years back someone did a similar pitch-corrected mashup of something like fifty hit pop country songs and it was largely the same thing. I had more than one guy I worked with in the music industry tell me that if music was still magical to me, not to go digging too deep into music theory because it would totally ruin it for me. Once you've seen how the sausage is made, it doesn't taste as good. If you like their music, I'm not going to look down on that, but surely you can appreciate that people who know their stuff on music would look at it and not think much of it.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I can't find it just now, but a few years back someone did a similar pitch-corrected mashup of something like fifty hit pop country songs and it was largely the same thing.

Was it Sir Mashalot?

Mashalot did a six Country song mash-up. Best part is at 2:45 when all six songs play simultaneously and seamlessly blend into each other.

I also like this video that poked fun at how formulaic Country rock songs were and perhaps still are?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The second one, that's the one! Yep, tempo and pitch corrected, basically all the same damn song. It wasn't fifty, but it may as well have been. Like he said, the formula works. I think that, combined with Kroeger's douchey personality is what catches Nickelback a lot of flak.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Dunno. Kind of generic and formulaic but not as terrible as they get a rap for.

I actually saw them in concert. I was there to see the opener, Jerry Cantrell (the guitar player for Alice In Chains) shortly after Layne died (the singer for AiC) when he was doing his solo stuff and Alice in Chains music.

Since we paid for the tickets, we stuck around to see Nickleback anyway, cost us nothing extra. They actually gave a good live show.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is generic and boring pop rock.

And they are now the victom of piling on. It is fashionable to hate them.

There are plenty of other boring and formulaic bands out there making huge bank.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Or look at this graph.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post