SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Why does Nickelback get such a bad rap?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does Nickelback get such a bad rap? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Every time the topic of the band Nickelback comes up, there seems to be a lot of hate. Why?

I was watching 12 Strong the other day. When the ODA showed up in country, they were asked what took so long. Michael Pena smugly said they “stopped at a Nickelback concert”.

When the Spotify nonsense was going on, all the woke performers were threatening to pull their music. I saw a meme that said “Nickelback was threatening to put their music on Apotify”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It could be the cringey bland overplayed generic pop rock songs that all sound the same.

But there's plenty of cringey bland overplayed generic pop rock bands out there.

So mostly, I think it's just become a trend/meme. Everyone hates Nickelback, because everyone else talks/jokes about hating Nickelback.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I own two Nickelback CDs. I'm not proud of that, but there it is. Judge me as you wish.

I've made worse mistakes

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Everybody hates Nickelback for these same reason Primus Sucks.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Go watch Nickleback's remake of the Devil Went Down to Georgia. If you still have questions, I have nothing.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
since when did Primus suck?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Primus does not suck.

At least, not the last time I checked.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
“If you play a Nickelback song backwards you’ll hear
messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play
it forwards you’ll hear Nickelback. “

Dave Grohl

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I think it was just the 90’s jock rock genre that was overplayed and forced many of us to turn off our radios forever. They were also big when MTV was dying. They are just the caricature of the time.

Nickelback isn’t any worse than any the other stuff that came out then. Probably just the biggest target.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
One source of answers, among many:
https://knowmorestuff.com/nickelback/

I've tried to find the vid of a guy that wakes up with a super hot chick telling him everything every guy ever wants to hear, then sees a nickelback tramp stamp on her..."Not worth it!"

But no luck finding it obviously.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
One source of answers, among many:
https://knowmorestuff.com/nickelback/

I've tried to find the vid of a guy that wakes up with a super hot chick telling him everything every guy ever wants to hear, then sees a nickelback tramp stamp on her..."Not worth it!"

But no luck finding it obviously.

https://youtu.be/_8JeeDsBUv4

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Knew I could count on you guys! Big Grin

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Primus Sucks was (and still is in certain venues) was a running gag/trope at their live performances

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Mark is apparently right. It was just overplayed.

But in and of itself it is not bad and they never did anything wrong.

I think a similar argument can be made that this happened to Hootie and the Blowfish in the 90's. Cracked rear-view is still a favorite of mine. But I can remember the radio stations going, "now Hootie free" in their advertisements.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It could be the cringey bland overplayed generic pop rock songs that all sound the same.

But there's plenty of cringey bland overplayed generic pop rock bands out there.

So mostly, I think it's just become a trend/meme. Everyone hates Nickelback, because everyone else talks/jokes about hating Nickelback.

All true, plus they have a reputation as "sell-outs" vs serious artists. From what I've gathered, they worked very hard to promote themselves, and it paid off. Consequently, they're thought of as a bankable band that jumped through all the right hoops to succeed in corporate rock vs an "important" band that music snobs can pontificate over.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Mark is apparently right. It was just overplayed.

But in and of itself it is not bad and they never did anything wrong.

I think a similar argument can be made that this happened to Hootie and the Blowfish in the 90's. Cracked rear-view is still a favorite of mine. But I can remember the radio stations going, "now Hootie free" in their advertisements.

If you watch Prime, check out “Diabolical”. It’s an animated spin off from “The Boys” of several vignettes, one of which was written by the creators of Rick and Morty fame that pokes fun at Hootie. In it, there is a sup whose power is having a speaker for a head that only plays “I Only Want To Be With You”. It is hysterical.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
But in and of itself it is not bad

That's highly debatable.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I'm not a fan, and don't own any of their records. But I have heard a number of their hit songs and I find them unimaginative, un-original, without substance musically or lyric wise. IMO, their songs all seem to use the same chord structures, tempos, cadence, timbre, etc., relying on cliches of grunge music. But then I feel like this about some other bands- Creed, Maroon 5, Blink 182, etc.

They are a commercialized, radio-friendly version of a "grunge" band, a genre I did not embrace too much, since I much preferred the music of their predecessors in the 80s (Husker Du, The Pixies, The Replacements). But they did a good job of it, they sold a lot of records.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind them, however I do not own any of their albums, though I have been to one of their concerts. They opened for Dust For Life and I actually went to see Nickelback it was the late 90s early 2000s before people hated them.
Will always hold a special place for me. It was the first time I went crowd surfing and it was a great ride. I was up for quite awhile before making it to the front and getting launched over the barrier in front of the stage.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
Everybody hates Nickelback for these same reason Primus Sucks.

Kind of, yeah.

Primus sucks because Primus fans love to say that Primus sucks.

Nickelback sucks because it’s popular to say that Nickelback sucks.

Personally I am a fan of both. So Nickelback is good, and Primus sucks.

For those of you that hate me for liking Nickelback, know that I like Limp Bizkit too Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post