SIGforum
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3990054973

July 01, 2016, 05:26 PM
Deqlyn
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Wednesday i bought: straight edge, 1792 full proof, and HW yipee kai yay.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
July 01, 2016, 06:07 PM
Eamonn Wright
My adventure in sub $50 bourbon continues. Here's what I've liked lately.

Basil Hayden's
Woodford Reserve (really like)
Buffalo Trace (working on this one, and I like it a lot.) Smile

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson
July 01, 2016, 07:15 PM
jigray3
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Taylor single barrel, small batch and rye are Always on the shelf. I know between single barrel small batch one is generally better thought of, but I don't remember which, so I usually pass. Of those three which would you recommend.

I picked up an interesting Four Roses barrel strength, store purchased barrel. It was an OESF which is high corn 75%, F is their herbal yeast strain. The age statement is 10 years. The F strain is only listed as being used in their yellow label, which surprised me that they aged it that long and bottled barrel strength. They don't list the F being used in any barrel strength, small batch offerings.

Butterscotch is the dominant flavor on the palate. It's very tasty.

I was not a 4 Roses fan, but picked up one fo those hand picked barrel selections and it is phenomenal. It is OBSV, 65 corn, 35 rye, and 5% barley at 9 years 11 months. I wish I had bought a case of it.

I have heard people prefer the small batch EHT to the Single Barrel. Maybe so, but the small batch doesn't compare favorably to the Barrel Proof, another one of my favorites. I have 2 bottles of the Single Barrel, and a bottle of the Rye, but I have too much open right now to taste them.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
July 01, 2016, 08:56 PM
46and2
Personally, the only Taylor's that stand out are the Rye and Barrel Strength Bourbon.

Both the Small Batch and Single Barrel left me wanting.

Today I picked up a second bottle of the 138.8 proof Elijah Craig.
July 01, 2016, 09:21 PM
YellowJacket
Butterscotch, indeed. It's really delicious. Rye spice afterwards and kind of a medicinal finish.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
July 02, 2016, 10:25 PM
Eamonn Wright
Larceny- I'll give my opinion later. Cool

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson
July 03, 2016, 05:51 AM
GeeTen
Ok, ok - I know it's not bourbon, but I bought a bottle of Hibiki 17 Japanese whiskey for $129.99 OTD. This is the same juice that Bill Murray was pitching in the movie "Lost in Translation" with Scarlett Johansson. Yummy - both the whiskey and Scarlett! Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!
July 05, 2016, 10:51 AM
jigray3
Picked up my Michter's 10 Single Barrel. Initial impressions are it is very good and has an interesting and complex flavor profile. Worth $120.00? I can't say yet, since the first pour usually doesn't reveal much. And, I'm starting to agree with the camp that feels almost no bourbon is worth more than $100.00. Just too much good stuff under that price point to explore and enjoy.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
August 13, 2016, 05:38 AM
GeeTen
Finally got to buy one of my Bucket List Bourbons yesterday - BTAC 2014 William Larue Weller (140.2 proof - YIKES!). $99.99 OTD, honest! Big Grin

Pics to follow with tasting notes another day . . .

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!
August 13, 2016, 02:23 PM
rekstrom
Finally got to try some Four Roses, which is hard to find around here but a few bottles showed up in the grocery store I shop at.

It is good. Definitely my favorite bourbon I've tried so far, but my journey is just beginning.

I work with a man who is a true scotch drinker, so I am gathering a list of sub $100 scotch to try as well. Should be a good Fall and Winter for me. Cool
August 15, 2016, 03:44 AM
46and2
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Finally got to buy one of my Bucket List Bourbons yesterday - BTAC 2014 William Larue Weller (140.2 proof - YIKES!). $99.99 OTD, honest! Big Grin

Pics to follow with tasting notes another day . . .

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Oh it's terrible and I'm sure you won't like it. Send to Colorado for proper disposal.
August 15, 2016, 04:02 AM
46and2
quote:
picked up an interesting Four Roses barrel strength, store purchased barrel. It was an OESF which is high corn 75%, F is their herbal yeast strain. The age statement is 10 years. The F strain is only listed as being used in their yellow label, which surprised me that they aged it that long and bottled barrel strength. They don't list the F being used in any barrel strength, small batch offerings.

Butterscotch is the dominant flavor on the palate. It's very tasty.

I don't think I've had that one (OESF), and it sounds excellent.
August 15, 2016, 07:31 AM
GeeTen
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Oh it's terrible and I'm sure you won't like it. Send to Colorado for proper disposal.

Ummm, ok. I'll drop her off when I'm flying to San Francisco on Wednesday - life's too short to drink bad bourbon! Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!
August 15, 2016, 12:30 PM
berto
Picking up a couple bottles of High West Rendezvous Rye finished in Hungarian Oak and my share of a barrel of Four Roses OESV. Looking forward to both.
August 17, 2016, 10:40 AM
Leemur
Wife gave me a bottle of Blantons single barrel for my anniversary gift!
August 19, 2016, 07:55 PM
CaptainMike
Just got home from a truncated Bourbon Trail (4 distillery tours over 2 days. (Wild Turkey, 4 Roses, Heaven Hill, Makers Mark) Picked up some yellow label cask strength single barrel bottles from 4 Roses gift shop that are truly astonishing. One OBSF 9 year at 126 proof that is probably my favorite bourbon ever. Alas, I only bought one.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!
August 20, 2016, 08:26 PM
jigray3
People picking up some interesting stuff. Please check in and and give us an idea how you like them.

My BIL entered a state lottery on my behalf and I'll be damned if he didn't win. Been looking for this one for a few years.

It fits right in with the Four Roses discussion. his one is OESK and 112.2 proof. Not going to open it yet. Too many open right now including a new Abraham Bowman wheater I picked up two weeks ago.

August 20, 2016, 09:12 PM
steel96
quote:
Originally posted by Eamonn Wright:
My adventure in sub $50 bourbon continues. Here's what I've liked lately.

Basil Hayden's
Woodford Reserve (really like)
Buffalo Trace (working on this one, and I like it a lot.) Smile

Good ones. Might consider Taylor as well.
August 23, 2016, 08:29 PM
Deqlyn
Aint been to this thread in awhile. I've passed on a lot of bourbon lately but its finally bourbon season again! 46n2 you still up for the willett stuff?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
August 24, 2016, 10:52 AM
46and2
quote:
Picked up some yellow label cask strength single barrel bottles from 4 Roses gift shop that are truly astonishing.

very, very interesting.

quote:
46n2 you still up for the willett stuff?

You bet. Got something new?