SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Run Silent, Run Deep Available For Free On Youtube
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Run Silent, Run Deep Available For Free On Youtube Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Every so often, YouTube Movies does something incredibly cool, and this time around, they’ve released Robert Wise’s 1958 classic submarine movie [u]Run Silent, Run Deep[/u] staring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. Robert Wise is one of my favorite directors because there wasn’t a genera he didn’t do. He started as an editor on Citizen Kane, directed The Sand Pebbles, West Side Story, The Day The Earth Stood Still (the great one), Sound of Music, The Haunting (again, the good one), The Andromeda Strain (again, the good one), and next year Paramount is finally spending the money they should have in 1999 to make a 4K UHD transfer of his director’s cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Here’s the Youtube description of this movie and I hope you all enjoy it.

quote:
In this powerful; classic military drama; Rich Richardson (Clark Gable; "The Misfits") is a hard-driving; dedicated submarine officer with a single-minded purpose - to seek out and smash the Japanese destroyer he believes sunk his former ship. Given a new command; Richardson drills his men and first officer Jim Bledsoe (Burt Lancaster; "Elmer Gantry") to point of mutiny as he relentlessly trains them for the battle ahead. At last; word comes of the destroyer's position; and disobeying orders; Richardson finally confronts his foe; unaware that and even greater enemy lurks nearby - one who's been targeting him for a watery grave. Directed by Robert Wise; the legendary director of "West Side Story;" with a stellar supporting cast headed by Jack Warden; Brad Dexter and Don Rickles.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WqjIzyylcoA" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

it's been running (or maybe was) on one or 2 of the cable channels in the past few years,

I've watched it a few times, great movie

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made it a point to re-watch Red October. Definitely a great submarine movie. For some reason, the scene where Ryan is hunting down the Russian cook is what had stuck in my head from my previous viewing. I recalled it as being more cat-and-mouse in the setting of a submarine, than a real submarine movie. Boy, was that a terribly incorrect recollection.

Anyone know the significance of the "one ping" communication? Ryan asks Scott Glenn's character if Ramius can reply with one ping. Glenn says he can if he wants to, but they don't explicitly tell him to or anything. He does respond with only one ping though. Maybe it's obvious, and I missed it, or maybe it's something someone who read the book can comment on.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Made it a point to re-watch Red October. Definitely a great submarine movie. For some reason, the scene where Ryan is hunting down the Russian cook is what had stuck in my head from my previous viewing. I recalled it as being more cat-and-mouse in the setting of a submarine, than a real submarine movie. Boy, was that a terribly incorrect recollection.

Anyone know the significance of the "one ping" communication? Ryan asks Scott Glenn's character if Ramius can reply with one ping. Glenn says he can if he wants to, but they don't explicitly tell him to or anything. He does respond with only one ping though. Maybe it's obvious, and I missed it, or maybe it's something someone who read the book can comment on.

I always assumed that they did ask him to respond with a single ping. It's not obvious because it's all in morse code, I just assumed the Dallas' captain had included the request. I don't recall what the book said, it's been quite a few years since I read it.

Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure why it was even necessary. Mancuso was using some sort of light at the top of his periscope mast to communicate to Ramius, why couldn't Ramius do the same in return, without giving his crew reason to think something weird might be going on? Maybe the Typhoon doesn't have that light on the periscope? Or maybe the Los Angeles boats don't either and the whole thing was just Hollywood drama.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Had Ramius typed anything in morse code, the whole bridge would have suspected something. Remember, he only got to choose the officers. There’s still 200 or so enlisted personnel that could skunk his plans in a heartbeat.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
The thing that is odd is how did the cook know about anything? I know he was on the bridge at one point. But it seems as though he was a plant at the get go by the KGB.

I liked Run Silent Run Deep. The best part is the conflict between Gable and Lancaster not the sinking of the ships.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
The thing that is odd is how did the cook know about anything? I know he was on the bridge at one point. But it seems as though he was a plant at the get go by the KGB.

Just like Political Officer Putin said, “If there’s anyone from the KGB or the NRS, trust me, I’d be the last one to know.” The cook also had a sour look on his face after hearing the order on the intercom.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched The Enemy Below last night, based on a recommendation from this thread. Very cool submarine flick. I liked the recurring theme of professional soldiers not embracing the 3rd Reich's ideology. You see it in Das Boot (another U-Boat example) and in The Eagle Has Landed, in Michael Caine's character. The plot was overall very enjoyable, and the classic battle of wits and stamina between Captains was fun.

I did leave with one question. I may have missed it, if they said it was feet, so I assumed it was meters that they used to set the depth of detonation on the depth charges. If I was right in assuming meters, would a depth charge cause a significant surface disturbance if detonated 150m below? I figured it wouldn't, and that was added for fun hollywood effect. Is that right?

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did leave with one question. I may have missed it, if they said it was feet, so I assumed it was meters that they used to set the depth of detonation on the depth charges. If I was right in assuming meters, would a depth charge cause a significant surface disturbance if detonated 150m below? I figured it wouldn't, and that was added for fun hollywood effect. Is that right?

It would have been feet rather than meters. On a midshipman training cruise we were ordered to drop a pattern of depth charges for demonstration purposes. IIRC the ordered set depth was 125 feet. We were the third ship and the patterns from the first two ships did not cause a surface disturbance that was visible from any distance. I ordered ours to be set detonate as soon as they armed which was 25 feet. That created quite a disturbance. Of course at the speed we were traveling we were a bit close when they went off. I'm sure the ruptured fuel oil tank we discovered after return to port was merely a coincidence.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. That certainly confirms that it was a hollywood embellishment.