SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix Login/Join 
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted
This animated series is an amazing show. The storyline and the animation technique are top-notch, in my opinion.

I could never get into Anime due to the, to my eye, crudeness of the art technique. But the Blue Eye Samurai style looks to me very different and quite beautiful.

FYI, this is very adult animation, full-frontal nudity, graphic swordplay violence, etc.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
This is pretty good. I'm especially digging the soundtrack. Big Grin

I am however curious as to what anime you've watched before? Most of the ones I've watched have incredible artwork.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16190 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I was just made aware of this yesterday by a friend…comes highly recommended!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Tried this last night. Visually very good. Reminded me very much of a show I used to watch with my kids called Samurai Jack. And, a hat tip to Kill Bill in the first episode. I've got another show to watch.

Posts: 7529 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
This is pretty good. I'm especially digging the soundtrack. Big Grin

I am however curious as to what anime you've watched before? Most of the ones I've watched have incredible artwork.

Whenever I've checked out popular anime, I've always been put off by the static nature of the animation -- excepting the Studio Ghibli productions, if those are even considered anime. But I'm not young, LOL. My benchmark for animation are yesteryear's classic Disney films and the 40's era Max Fleischer Superman short films.

Please recommend films or shows I should sample.

Thanks!

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "the static nature of the animation". In my mind, that's contradictory.

Anyway....I loved the look of the original Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence. There was also a series called Mushi-Shi that I thought was just gorgeous.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16190 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Revenge ! Treachery ! Peaches ! A very pleasant surprise.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This Is SO damn good. A few thoughts…

I thought I was going to hate it because the protagonist is a woman in a traditional male role. It’s not an issue.

There are a few obvious homages paid to old school Samurai movies; as well as Kill Bill.

Violence, treachery, sex, hot naked Japanese women … f-me this show is good!

To add…watch it with the Japanese audio and English subtitles. I got through about 10 minutes of it In English and almost shut it off because the dialogue sucked so bad…put your phones down and pay attention to the words on the screen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not at all an anime fan, but you guys have me convinced. I'll give it a shot.

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

To add…watch it with the Japanese audio and English subtitles. I got through about 10 minutes of it In English and almost shut it off because the dialogue sucked so bad…put your phones down and pay attention to the words on the screen.

Thanks for this tip. The English dialogue is not good.

Posts: 7529 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I only skimmed the thread to avoid spoilers and missed Ronin's tip. I made it through half the first episode and had to see if Japanese audio was available because the dubs were awful. 1,000% better. I just finished episode five. This show is fantastic.

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It was very good. Looking forward to the next season.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yeah, I only skimmed the thread to avoid spoilers and missed Ronin's tip. I made it through half the first episode and had to see if Japanese audio was available because the dubs were awful. 1,000% better. I just finished episode five. This show is fantastic.

So today I learned that the dubs are actually in Japanese, this was not created in Japan and the original voices were English. Ugh. Go Figure.

To add…I ‘bolded’ my subtitle-tip in my OP. It really does make a difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It's solid. I enjoyed it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I watched about the first episode and half. I did enjoy it!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8855 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate to say it, I actually prefer the English (original) language dialogue track. Yikes.

I’m on episode 5. So far so good. Peaches/pumpkins. I laughed.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Possible Spoilers

Could someone please explain to my why, on the last episode, they decided to have the invading army stop at a bridge that goes over a moat, which is in front of a closed gate, shoot the sword-weilding guys on the bridge, only to then proceed to march over the bridge, which is now connected to a wide-open gate?

Sure, okay the guys in the walls surrounding the gate, by the moat, shot their arrows and couldn't make the distance to the army. Sure, okay maybe some of them died by their slits, but wtf. Who opened the gate? No archers were still shooting as the army marched forward?

I know this seems nit-picky but it's lazy that this seems like they edited it for brevity, which made the treacherous nature of the final gate just meaningless since they didn't have to fight for the other gates. Dumb. Truncated and dumb.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
So I finished this and it's pretty good. Smile I guess most of my quibbles all stem from the last episode feeling over-edited. The rest of it was fun and compelling.

Granted, they missed a few opportunities for the audience to invest in the characters a bit more, and the animation, while spectacular, occasionally looked clunky because you could tell it was a game engine of sorts with a cell-shading overlay.

Outside of that, it's lots of fun.

Thanks for the recommendation, M'headSig!

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm not generally into animated movies, but this is pretty good and it's production values as well as writing are well done.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10203 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the scene in Ep 4 that is a sure nod to The Seven Samurai.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ