SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Treble french horn at St. Paul MN Musical Instruments museum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treble french horn at St. Paul MN Musical Instruments museum Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
In St. Paul MN, there’s the “Schubert Club Museum of Musical Instruments”. I visited it often when I lived in the Twin Cities. The musical instrument that I found most interesting was named a “cornet”, but unlike a common somewhat trumpet-like cornet, it was essentially a small french horn. Conical mouthpiece, three rotary lever-actuated valves. It was designed to be held mostly straight out, rather than to the player’s side, and its bell was tilted upward, out of the plane of the circular coils, for better sound projection. I couldn’t find a photo of it on the web. Probably treble range, I would’ve liked to have heard it played. I like the sound of the common french horn.

Does anyone here know anything of such an instrument?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
That's the first I've ever heard of it. Very interesting...

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
In St. Paul MN, there’s the “Schubert Club Museum of Musical Instruments”. I visited it often when I lived in the Twin Cities. The musical instrument that I found most interesting was named a “cornet”, but unlike a common somewhat trumpet-like cornet, it was essentially a small french horn. Conical mouthpiece, three rotary lever-actuated valves. It was designed to be held mostly straight out, rather than to the player’s side, and its bell was tilted upward, out of the plane of the circular coils, for better sound projection. I couldn’t find a photo of it on the web. Probably treble range, I would’ve liked to have heard it played. I like the sound of the common french horn.

Does anyone here know anything of such an instrument?

Do an image search for "Circular Cornet". There are different configurations with different valve types. Maybe you'll find something similar.

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post