SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Guitar guys, LP style wraparound bridge with rollers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitar guys, LP style wraparound bridge with rollers? Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
So I am kinda having a bit of a dumb idea here lol Razz
I came across a cheap Gibson Epoch on FB marketplace. I haven't actually messaged the guy yet because I want to get the "plan" worked out before I actually make a final decision.

My plan at the moment would be to clean it up, rewire it, possibly swapping the pickups..... but probably not lol Razz and adding a chigsby. The "issue" I am stuck on tho is I would like to add a roller bridge. I can find a replacement wrap around adjustable bridge but I can't find any with rollers. Do those even exist?
Or does anyone make a regular roller bridge but with the wider tailpiece spacing? Or would it be possible to just swap the normal saddles with rollers if I just pick up a separate bridge.

Something like this is what I am looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Musicli...2GEXYX6AMJMP2HPZZFJ2

I'm still not 100% on actually doing this but me being me I still need to look and see if I could lol Big Grin

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
https://www.callahamguitars.com/gibson_catalog.htm

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Interesting, thanks. Looks like the bridge is out of stock tho, and not a roller, but it gives me a idea of something to look for. I'm guessing the Nashville conversion is what I would want?

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nope. Start with Tonepros for this stuff, always.

https://tonepros.com/product/tp6r/

No offense, but just be aware that you’re engaging in turd polishing. There’s nothing wrong with that, I’ve done it plenty myself, just know that’s what you’re doing. Also, you’re making plans to modify a guitar you haven’t even actually laid eyes on. Neck could be warped, you may not be able to install that bridge or a Bigsy, or there could be other unforeseen issues you’d never know about until you get it in hand. Were I still at the guitar shop doing repairs, I wouldn’t even field this question from a customer without physically inspecting the guitar. You’re counting eggs, man.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Tonepro on my Gold Top. Depending on the guitar, the posts might not line up. Last I checked, the roller bridge was somewhat expensive. Unless you get that guitar for cheap, might be better off to start with an Epiphone.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
LOL thanks, Big Grin yup I know it's nothing great which is why I haven't actually messaged the guy yet. He is asking $80 which is way too much so I would definitely be offering less. I wouldn't buy anything for it until I actually had it in hand to make sure it was solid and playable. Like I said it's just a dumb idea, I wouldn't really expect it to be anything other than just something to mess with assuming I could find parts cheap enough.

Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marcushoss:
I have a Tonepro on my Gold Top. Depending on the guitar, the posts might not line up. Last I checked, the roller bridge was somewhat expensive. Unless you get that guitar for cheap, might be better off to start with an Epiphone.

I did notice that price. Lol it's more than the guitar is worth. But it does give me a idea of what to look for.

Realistically if I did do it, I wouldn't really "need" the roller I guess. I could get away with just the normal adjustable wraparound for cheap. The roller was more of a "would be nice" type of thing.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why not stick with the stock bridge and see if you have tuning problems with it? I wouldn't assume you will need a roller bridge.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
I probably could use the stock bridge but looking around trying to find info on them, the little I can find, the bridge is one of those things that gets mentioned a lot due to the lack of proper adjustability. It's a cheap enough upgrade to add. The roller just seems like it would be a better fit for the bigsby.