New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dune Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Is it streaming anywhere?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

You can stream it, but I think it's still only available on services where you can pay to buy/rent it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest getting it on 4k disc. I reserved it for rental so it ships to me tomorrow. Should be 100% better than the streaming pile of compressed audio.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was on HBO for the first 30 days, not anymore.

Wife and I saw it there and then I insisted we do a date night a couple weeks later and saw it in a theater. (Better sound than streaming, etc)

I will be buying a copy tomorrow.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I'd suggest getting it on 4k disc. I reserved it for rental so it ships to me tomorrow. Should be 100% better than the streaming pile of compressed audio.

Watched the first half on 4k Blu Ray this evening. It’s reference material. Both PQ (DV was spectacular) and audio (Atmos). Denis’s films are just mind blowing on 4k blu ray. Night and day difference to the streaming version which was heavily compressed. The disc was rattling my house. If you liked the film I would buy it on 4k disc. I will once the price drops. Much more immersive and I found myself liking the film so much more.

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Watched the first half on 4k Blu Ray this evening. It’s reference material. Both PQ (DV was spectacular) and audio (Atmos). Denis’s films are just mind blowing on 4k blu ray. Night and day difference to the streaming version which was heavily compressed. The disc was rattling my house. If you liked the film I would buy it on 4k disc. I will once the price drops. Much more immersive and I found myself liking the film so much more.

I also saw this for the first time on 4K disc… and I have a “decent” AV system to play it on and I agree 100%… the uncompressed soundtrack is astoundingly fantastic… “the voice” effect is the best engineered sound effect I’ve ever heard in a movie… and the low frequency effects shake my couch, the soundtrack seems otherworldly yet musical… the video component is consistently good to great.

If you have 4k capabilities, you really need to own this disc.

(Marantz SR6015, Golden Ear Triton 2+ speakers that have 1200 watt subwoofers in each, LG C1 panel. Alas, the wife won’t allow me to install Atmos rear and height speakers in the walls… so I am missing that surround component.)

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1588 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Damn. Okay, now I want a 4K blu ray player. I shouldn't have opened this thread.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I have the 4K disc sitting by the tv. Just trying to open up the block of time needed to watch it.
A 4K Blu Ray player is worth every penny. The difference from the upgrade is unbelievable. We have a Sony disc player paired with an LG OLED tv and Denon sound bar.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:

I also saw this for the first time on 4K disc… and I have a “decent” AV system to play it on and I agree 100%… the uncompressed soundtrack is astoundingly fantastic… “the voice” effect is the best engineered sound effect I’ve ever heard in a movie… and the low frequency effects shake my couch, the soundtrack seems otherworldly yet musical… the video component is consistently good to great.

If you have 4k capabilities, you really need to own this disc.

(Marantz SR6015, Golden Ear Triton 2+ speakers that have 1200 watt subwoofers in each, LG C1 panel. Alas, the wife won’t allow me to install Atmos rear and height speakers in the walls… so I am missing that surround component.)

Villenevue's 4k transfers are fucking epic as is Legendary Pictures. They just do a much better job than most and make Disney 4k discs look like utter and complete trash that they are. The dialogue/speech in this was crystal clear as were the effects. I'm running 7.2.4 and the panning around the various speakers was seamless and enveloping. Audio via Atmos channels was incredible and some of the best I have heard. Hans Zimmer did the soundtrack and wow. Best audio I've heard since BR2049 and 1 of only 2 4k discs I have been impressed with during the pandemic. Nolan's Tenet in just 5.1 is the other. And LFE in this, wow. With Atmos going, it's a pure bubble of sound all around you. I can't believe the difference in film experience. It's a completely different film. I liked it when I first saw but fuck me this is a whole new film now and one I will buy.

On Atmos, sounds like you have the problem many do, WAF. It is a pain. I didn't drill my ceilings to put all 4 in like many with 2 in front and 2 behind the MLP. I did on wall height channels on brackets where they could be angled and pointed at the MLP. Works excellently and is a Dolby Atmos certified installation. Traditionally people would do small drivers with limited range for their Atmos channels. I did full range speakers when I built mine in 2019 because I knew films like this would come out using the Atmos channels as more like a full range speaker instead of just effects. Zimmer's soundtrack was ripping through the things to go along with all the sound effects.

I run a Sony X940E (best FALD LED for cinema made to date), Marantz SR8012, JBL Studio 580 L/R, JBL 520c center channel, JBL 530 sides and rears, and 4 on wall JBL Studio 210's for Atmos channels. Dual HSU VTF3 Mk5's. Only change will be the Atmos channels when the new JBL 6 series comes out. Everything is bi-radial horns except my Atmos channels so I will convert them over in a few years since the 6 series has a wall mount/bracket speaker that is bi-radial. The 5 series didn't have this hence the 210's. I built mine as bang for the buck that I could possibly pull off. I got cost on virtually everything or I would never been able to afford it. But films like this is why I made the investment and took me 2 years to pay off on 0%. I just can't do the commercial theaters anymore due to the phones, etc. These 4k discs with solid HDR (HDR10 or Dolby Vision) are better than commercial cinema quality and no commercial theater can compete with solid speakers and subs tailored to your room.

Can't wait to go back a few scenes and finish tonight. Like BR2049, one that I will watch countless times and use to show capability when someone is over, especially "the voice" in this film.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is 4k bluray going to be much better than regular bluray? I have bluray; $300 worth 4k? I don’t really buy disks unless they are exceptional. I have maybe a handful at this time. Dune would be the first I’ve bought in 5+ years.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is 4k bluray going to be much better than regular bluray? I have bluray; $300 worth 4k? I don’t really buy disks unless they are exceptional. I have maybe a handful at this time. Dune would be the first I’ve bought in 5+ years.

Depends on your panel, is it 4k? Depends on what audio setup you have.

I have a few 4k reference Blu rays. Reference = PQ being absolutely stunning and superior audio performance with outstanding range and LFE. BR2049, now Dune, Oblivion, Ready Player One to name a few. Pretty big difference compared to 1080p but you need panel, audio, etc to take full advantage. A 4k disc can hold twice as many Gigs as a 1080p blu ray. 50Gb vs 100Gb.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have a 4k Sony xbr 55” and Integra 50.6 receiver. Paradigm floor standing speakers driven via HK amp. Klipsch sub and bookshelf surrounds.

I think the system can handle it. But I’m not sure how different the 4k vs HD blu ray experiences are. Is it really worth spending $300+ for a 4k blu ray player? Or should I stick with my current blu ray player?

Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Pre, you are now my hero.

My 4k player is the Panasonic DP UB820. I like it, with some minor quibbles. Mostly about the user interface and how it handles music discs.

For me, 4k has very distinct advantages over ordinary Blu-rays in the sound of movies. The video is perceptively better especially with fine details, like fabrics and hair. You can sometimes actually see the makeup that some actors/actresses are wearing.

I would also agree you HAVE to have equipment that can deliver what 4k can provide. I had a 1080p Vizio panel before this LG C1 and I now know what I was missing.

The contrast capabilities of OLED and other such screens creates an even greater “three dimensional“ effect that 4k can deliver… and 4k night scenes are terrific on OLED. I often skip to the opening Shanghai night scene in “Skyfall” just to see the ultimate black background of the sky and the pop of the colored lights on the buildings. Dramatic difference from 1080p.

I sound like an audio equipment salesman.

Thread drift… I plead guilty.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1588 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have the whole 4K system with Atmos sound system and this movie looks and sounds great. And I really like the movie, can't wait for part 2.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9356 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 4k Sony xbr 55” and Integra 50.6 receiver. Paradigm floor standing speakers driven via HK amp. Klipsch sub and bookshelf surrounds.

I think the system can handle it. But I’m not sure how different the 4k vs HD blu ray experiences are. Is it really worth spending $300+ for a 4k blu ray player? Or should I stick with my current blu ray player?

I run (4) 4k panels in different rooms, all Sony FALD LED's. As long as your viewing distance is appropriate, YES, you will see a massive difference. It's four times the resolution of 1080p, but the biggest difference is blacks and dark scenes, and I should say it's really 4k resolution + HDR (and even better if your panel supports Dolby Vision HDR). You can make out much more extreme detail with solid 4k content. With a solid panel, 4k has surpassed the PQ you get at the commercial cinemas (often 2.5k). The detail you get, is stunning. Hair, skin color, and most importantly blacks. Some people think 4k is a gimmick, it isn't. Others think that just buying any 4k panel is gonna be magic, it isn't, you have to buy a solid panel. Rtings.com is great for this. But the PQ you get on 4k blu ray surpasses blu ray, and streaming anything there is. Streaming is compressed, always, picture and audio is always compressed. I have seen some "decent" 4k streaming content but NEVER the audio quality that physical media provides because at 100Gb on a triple layer 4k disc, well the easy way to say it is streaming content providers are not going to stream uncompressed data. 4k blu ray is about the picture quality but it's also very much about the audio quality you get (minus Disney, whose 4k discs suck and are worst in industry). The disc has double the capability in data so translate that to audio also. Films like Oblivion, Dune, BR2049, and Christopher Nolan films such as the Batman Trilogy, Interstellar, Tenet, while only being 5.1 will push your audio components to their maximum. Aquaman, while not some great film or anything, is stunning on 4k disc. Some of the best skin tones I've seen when they are in the desert in the sun. And the audio quality matches as well.

Audio, sounds like you have a killer setup. You didn't indicate if it was 5.1 or 7.1. Very little 1080p blu rays have Atmos content while most 4k discs, newer films, do. More gigs = more range, more LFE. A reference 4k disc, will blow your hair back in terms of PQ and audio quality and rattle your chest, chair, etc, if your LFE is on point. There are some 1080p blu rays with excellent soundtracks. My reference 1080p blu ray disc is Tron Legacy. That's the only Disney backed film with sound that rattles my HT. 90% of their shit is compressed trash and angers me as they have the dough to maximize their library but don't.

I think you should try it. You can buy a Sony x800m2 for $199. Get it hooked up if your AVR supports 4k with an appropriate 4k rated HDMI cable (you'll need one for ARC also from your AVR to your panel), rent or buy a few discs that are reference quality. Try it. If you don't think it's worth it, return it all. If you have a movie trader co. store in your general vicinity, they rent 4k discs and sell discs at a discount, especially the used ones. I use an online service to rent them and have them shipped to the house. The thing that sucks for legacy systems, is the daisy chain. Your panel, and AVR have support 4k, as well as the corresponding HDMI cables, and then a 4k blu ray player.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/s...6494.p?skuId=6336494

Also, like video games, or 1080p discs, I rent first, always. Then if it's something I want to buy, I'll wait 3-6 months. The price always drops. Video games it's like 3 months after release you get a price drop, then at 6-12 months another drop. Discs are largely the same. You pay extra for getting it at release or right after. I don't have a large 4k collection because I've only had my 4k HT which is Dolby Cinema, for almost 3 years and 2 of that has been the pandemic with few releases. Films like this latest Dune from Denis are why I spent the $, and as I mentioned, the behavior of the general public at commercial cinemas drove me out. As a major league film buff it's all worth it to me, and I'm festering a bit because my dream is coming to fruition with releases such as Dune, finally! I don't watch episodic stuff in my HT, nor sports. It's cinema only. But with 4k PQ and audio quality on the discs, my dreams of having my own HT have come true. Dolby Cinema is just Dolby Vision HDR + Dolby Atmos, and I'm still amazed I have this in the house. Commercial Dolby Cinemas cannot even compete with my audio. While they have many more speakers, the distance from those speakers means my setup bangs harder, is crisp, and the LFE will rattle your chest with solid discs. 4k may be hype to some/many but not to me. With appropriate gear we are finally at a point where you can have better PQ and audio at home compared to commercial cinemas. I do miss the BIG screen a very very little but with your MLP at the appropriate viewing distance to your panel it's not a big deal to me any longer. I'll never set foot in another commercial cinema as long as I live.

Try it and if it's not to your fancy, take the shit back. The site I use for disc reviews and the review of the Dune disc is here:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies...e-4K-Blu-ray/295838/

I use that site for reference before I view anything. DV, if your XBR supports it, has to be enabled in the player each time. So I read their review of every film, and also figure out if the disc has DV or not so I can turn it on before viewing. You can also hop on AVSforum and perhaps find someone in your area with a HT that allows visits. A lot of those guys have deep pockets and open up their HT's to members, and it's a community much like SigForum. They will allow you to come by, sit down, and watch some scenes or view a film. I've been in a number of them and almost want to cry driving home as I cannot afford some of the setups I've been in. Like going for a ride in a Ferrari knowing you'll never be able to afford but I'm ecstatic with what I have and happy after 2 years it's paid off.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Awesome info!! Thanks!!

I'm actually running a 4.1 setup - I don't have a center channel. I tried one and it didn't really add much to HT experiences and was inconvenient for music (had to keep changing modes between HT and music - didn't like the center channel for music).

So, I've settled for 4.1 and it's been sufficient for me to date. I can always revisit.

I don't think my XBR supports HDR; I'll have to check again. Depending on the content, I see considerable detail (in fact, sometimes more than I want. Seeing pimples and make-up boundaries and textures is actually not appealing to me and distracting from the content.

Dune was good streamed - I'm now really curious to see both enhanced PQ and audio if my system is capable - just need a 4K blu-ray player. If I need to upgrade TV and/or receiver, then it'll have to wait - no budget at the moment.

I do want to try 4k blu ray.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Awesome info!! Thanks!!

I'm actually running a 4.1 setup - I don't have a center channel. I tried one and it didn't really add much to HT experiences and was inconvenient for music (had to keep changing modes between HT and music - didn't like the center channel for music).

So, I've settled for 4.1 and it's been sufficient for me to date. I can always revisit.

I don't think my XBR supports HDR; I'll have to check again. Depending on the content, I see considerable detail (in fact, sometimes more than I want. Seeing pimples and make-up boundaries and textures is actually not appealing to me and distracting from the content.

Dune was good streamed - I'm now really curious to see both enhanced PQ and audio if my system is capable - just need a 4K blu-ray player. If I need to upgrade TV and/or receiver, then it'll have to wait - no budget at the moment.

I do want to try 4k blu ray.

If your panel is a 900E it will do HDR10. Sony added Dolby Vision HDR with the 900F.

Also a center channel you'd greatly benefit from for dialog in film.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have Dune on Blu-Ray, and watched it on a player I bought when I picked up the movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it too.

Imagine my disappointment when I found out yesterday after finding my TV's manual, that it is 4k capable. I almost bought the 4k version and a 4k player but didn't think my TV supported it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Here’s more ouch: uhd blu ray comes with two disks - uhd and hd disks. Basically same price as hd blu ray - $29 vs $25

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have Dune on Blu-Ray, and watched it on a player I bought when I picked up the movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it too.

Imagine my disappointment when I found out yesterday after finding my TV's manual, that it is 4k capable. I almost bought the 4k version and a 4k player but didn't think my TV supported it.

Take it back while you can. You can get inexpensive 4k HDMI cables from Monoprice via their site or Amazon.

Whatever you are using for sound also has to support 4k. The wonderful daisy chain, where everything must be supported across the chain along with HDCP. It's a major fucking PITA!