Tools

Dune Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm pleased to see rebecca ferguson; i really like her work.

I'm about half way into the movie and so far it’s kept my interest. The original movie seemed like a joke to me and couldn’t get much past the beginning.

The Lynch version was, apparently, badly chopped up by the studio and edited all out of recognition. To this day, Lynch won't discuss the movie.

I have been a Dune fan since I was in high school. This is the version I have been hoping for. It is visually good, and "right." They have handled the story nicely. There are a number of things that could be tricky to depict visually (as opposed to narrative), but this movie handles them well. It can't have all the details of a 650 page book, after all, and the omissions don't seem critical.

It is only the first third, or maybe half, of the story. That is the only fly in this ointment to me - we have to wait for the next movie.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Lynch got told to make the movie around 2 hrs by the studio. What really got him was someone else made a 4 hour extended version for TV that was all chopped up and extremely bloated. It was so bad it used concept art to explain parts of the movie. That was enough to get the Alan Smithee credit from the Director’s Guild of America as there was none of Lynch’s original intent.

Another fun fact was for the first release of Highlander 2, director Russell Mulcahy was not allowed to use the Alan Smithee credit because he was not a member of the DGA.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Lawrence of Arrakis.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34068 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Yueh is more important as a role than Kynes. You could say Kynes died before the movie started and the same events would be set in motion.

Who is Kynes? Sorry, I'm not a big Dune fan so the story is new to me. By bad guy, I mean the Bautista character.

One could argue, based on the movie, that the actions of the traitorous doc were immaterial. The attacking army had little resistance and the Leto would still have ended up dead.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Lawrence of Arrakis.

Now that's funny. Big Grin

Posts: 7484 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who is Kynes? Sorry, I'm not a big Dune fan so the story is new to me. By bad guy, I mean the Bautista character.

Imperial Planetologist.

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Liet_Kynes

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
One could argue, based on the movie, that the actions of the traitorous doc were immaterial. The attacking army had little resistance and the Leto would still have ended up dead.

Not quite.

Without Yueh to lower the shield wall before the start of the attack, their defensive batteries would not have been destroyed, they would have been able to launch defensive aircraft, and the attackers would not have been able to drop in without encountering resistance

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Villeneuve’s directorial style and I think he nailed this one. Some may find it slow, but I enjoyed all the character development (probably doesn’t hurt that I’m a fan of the source material). My wife came along, had no idea of what Dune is and hated Bladerunner 2049 (but loves Sicario). Couldn’t stop talking about how much she enjoyed the film. I thinks it’s phenomenal, but as seen here, not for everyone.

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

Not quite.

Without Yueh to lower the shield wall before the start of the attack, their defensive batteries would not have been destroyed, they would have been able to launch defensive aircraft, and the attackers would not have been able to drop in without encountering resistance

The 1984 movie made Yueh’s role much more prominent as it explicitly showed the house shield going up when they moved in, and then dropping just before the attack. It also showed that Yueh had destroyed the Atredes weapons (the “weirding modules”, which were something inverted just for that film). It also mentioned the diamond mark on the forehead as a sign of Imperial conditioning, which assured loyalty.

In this movie, the only mention of a house shield was when the attack started, and even then it was a pretty quick line that might have been missed. Also, they didn’t mention the significance of the mark. I think Yueh was a lot less developed in this new movie.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
It also mentioned the diamond mark on the forehead as a sign of Imperial conditioning, which assured loyalty.
Also, they didn’t mention the significance of the mark.

Which was odd, considering it reappeared in the thopter to mark the cache of supplies he had hidden for them, and was also included on the small written message he left for Paul inside the backpack.

I suspect that there was an explanation of the mark that was initially included, but it was something that eventually ended up on the cutting room floor.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps it's in the book but why does a doctor need access to raise / lower shields? And why was the doctor necessary? Raggan couldn't install a spy with the necessary access? Why rely on someone with close ties to Leto? Why not install someone with total dedication to the cause - that would be more reliable.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
The Critical Drinker likes it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps it's in the book but why does a doctor need access to raise / lower shields? And why was the doctor necessary? Raggan couldn't install a spy with the necessary access?

Raggan???

Being a member of the Atreides "inner circle", Yueh could move around freely. That would allow him to approach the guards without putting them on guard before neutralizing them.

quote:
Why rely on someone with close ties to Leto? Why not install someone with total dedication to the cause - that would be more reliable.

Once they had broken the Imperial Conditioning, by torturing his wife { "taking her apart like a doll" }, he would have been far more reliable than any soldier...plus he'd have unfettered access to the whole compound

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
It also mentioned the diamond mark on the forehead as a sign of Imperial conditioning, which assured loyalty.
Also, they didn’t mention the significance of the mark.

Which was odd, considering it reappeared in the thopter to mark the cache of supplies he had hidden for them, and was also included on the small written message he left for Paul inside the backpack.

I suspect that there was an explanation of the mark that was initially included, but it was something that eventually ended up on the cutting room floor.

I also think it might have ended up on the cutting room floor...along with Gurney playing his baliset and the dinner scene.

One the other hand, the movie did not spoon feed the audience. They might have figured you would see the mark on Yueh's forehead and related it to the mark later in the movie. Much as they don't explain the mark on the lower lip of Mentats

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much as they don't explain the mark on the lower lip of Mentats

Or explain Mentats at all, for that matter.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I guess I meant Rabban. Sorry - I'm not familiar w/ all the characters still.

The story is what it is. It's written. No need to debate. I don't really care. Smile

I'm just saying I don't find it necessary to have the doctor character, especially as the traitor. I think there were better, more believable options for the story.

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just saying I don't find it necessary to have the doctor character, especially as the traitor. I think there were better, more believable options for the story.

If you don't have the Yueh character, you don't have:
1. the death of Piter de Vries, which leads to the lack of need to let Thufir Hawat survive
1a....or attempt on the Baron
2. the supplies for Paul and Jessica
3. the rescue of the duke's ring for Paul

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Much as they don't explain the mark on the lower lip of Mentats

Or explain Mentats at all, for that matter.

I worried about that also, but in talking to folks who saw the movie and didn't read the book, they seemed to have figured it out...from the eye movements Roll Eyes

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So am I going to have to re-read the original book to get everything that's in this movie that's not explained?

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Dune was a really enjoyable movie for me but I will need to watch it again. Overall the director did a good job telling a complicated story. The movie was beautiful to look at and listen too. The vast, wide nature of some of the scenes and effects was excellent. I bet it was something to see in IMAX.

As a fan of the books I was glad that a serious film maker had the budget to do it right. Now hopefully it can make enough money to get part 2 done.

JC

Posts: 1266 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post