SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic cocktails anyone?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic cocktails anyone? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Since we built a bar in the basement we started watching a bunch of YouTube bartenders. Anders Erickson, The Educated Barfly, Steve the Barman, etc. Been loving the classics cocktails.

I was horrified at a local nice restaurant when I ordered a whiskey sour and he put whiskey over rocks and covered it with sour mix. This was a $15 drink by the way.

Also had a Speakeasy party with our friends. About 35 people, they all dressed up and I was mixing drinks like a madman all night. Pic below of a few of my friends.

Anyhow, here's a proper whiskey sour. This one has Old Forester 1870, lemon juice, rich demerara syrup and egg white. Served up in a coup. A couple drops Angostura bitters on top.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Pretty dang cool

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a DrinkWorks machine a couple years ago during the pandemic.
Works great and I don't need a lot of booze or knowledge, to make drinks, all the alcohol is in the drink pods. Downside is the cost of the drinks, about $4 each, some like the Cuban Daiquiri, are nice if you use 2 pods for a larger drink.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
During the pandemic we, of course, found ourselves with more time to drink. And I think a well-rounded Renaissance man ought to be able to throw a party and make a few good drinks. I have always liked to experiment, especially in the summer when straight bourbon is often a bit difficult to drink.

So we started with Old Fashioneds and got them down. I don't like to be fussy about things so I make something enough that I don't have to measure. I also make a whiskey sour with simple syrup, lemon juice, and whiskey. I can take or leave the egg whites. Then we got some sweet vermouth and started making Manhattans. My wife likes Aperol spritzes so we do those. And I've been making a decent margarita for awhile, although I do use a mix usually.

It's really amazing that almost all classic cocktails are variations of one another. Some combination of spirit, sugar, bitter/fruit. The hardest thing about it is finding somewhere to store all of the different mixers which could last years in your bar.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good time. I got to go to a similar themed party once. The drinks were awesome.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Anything beyond straight whiskey (maybe some rocks) is a Manhattan for me, the wife loves mixed drinks. I have become quite good at Margaritas, Dirty Martinis, Chocotinis, Mint Chocotinis, Cappuccino Martinis, Southern orange creamsicle ,Mules and others that she likes

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I always liked a mixed drink on occasion but mostly drank neat Scotch.
A Gin/Tonic, Margarita, Martini was pretty much it.
Recently I had a "Smoked Old Fashioned" and loved it and I was previously not a Bourbon fan.
However, recent diet regimen has curtailed beer drinking so cocktails are more KETO friendly and a better choice. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Gin/Tonic or Vodka/Tonic is my usual go-to.

My stepdad got me on Woodford on the rocks & Old Fashioneds

Local place to us does a good smoked old fashioned.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I always liked a mixed drink on occasion but mostly drank neat Scotch.
A Gin/Tonic, Margarita, Martini was pretty much it.
Recently I had a "Smoked Old Fashioned" and loved it and I was previously not a Bourbon fan.
However, recent diet regimen has curtailed beer drinking so cocktails are more KETO friendly and a better choice. Eek

My go to at home is The Macallan 12 neat. I have other scotches, whiskeys and bourbons that I also drink but I don't mix with any of them at home.

Last summer we were in Vegas with some friends. We went to Giada's restaurant, they had a smoked Old Fashioned made with Macallan 12, absolutely delicious. Been trying Old Fashioneds everywhere since then.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like an actual martini. I am also a fan of a Manhattan and an Old Fashioned. A mint julep is good, too. My wife likes a White Russian.

These are easy to make.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of vermouth so manhattan’s are not my favorite. I’m loving gin with citrus and syrup style drinks. So perfectly balanced you have to be careful not to drink too fast.

I don’t understand margaritas using mixed. They are only 3 ingredients. Lime juice, tequila and triple sec or curaçao. So much better than mixes.

Summer is coming so my rum collection is expanding and tiki drinks are next.

Oh and try an old fashioned with 15 year Barbancourt hatian rum and maple syrup. It’s not classic but it’s delicious.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

I don’t understand margaritas using mixed. They are only 3 ingredients. Lime juice, tequila and triple sec or curaçao. So much better than mixes.

Margarita mix gives me the worst acid reflux.

I mix my margarita with a little limoncello.

I've also gotten to where I like drinking tequila with a squeeze of lime over the rocks. I am using Codigo Reposado it is very good.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Margaritas, classic Sidecars and Rum Old Fashions.

And for God’s sake, get some decent rum, not that Bacardi or Captain Morgan’s crap.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I like a Manhattan about once a week. Occasionally I will drink a Martini. And as simple as it gets, 10 year old Slivovitz in a small glass.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm real simple...Single malt scotch in the evenings, vodka tonic during afternoons...

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The classics, Whiskey Sour's and Tom Collins. Thanks, now I have a craving.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Margaritas, classic Sidecars and Rum Old Fashions.

And for God’s sake, get some decent rum, not that Bacardi or Captain Morgan’s crap.

Note my post above with the Maple Rum old fashioned. Barbancourt Hatian 15 year is great and only about $50 for 750 mL. Got the recipe from a hotel nearby, it's the "Colonial Old Fashioned".

quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:

Margarita mix gives me the worst acid reflux.

Me too, as well as sour mix.

Anyhow we have binders in our bar with our classic cocktail menu. Here's the index and a few examples. Note the Espresso Martini and Cosmo were not kept in the book for our Speakeasy party. They aren't classic but we keep them for regular parties.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My favorite of all time was the Mojito. When I used to go to bars, I found only 1-2 people that could actually make one right. Most of the time it was shit and I’d send it back or walk behind the bar and show them how. And the best guy I found, oh my. No driving for me after those. I learned how to make them perfect myself. I’d go to the farmers market and buy up all their mint. At first was using sugar cubes with lime and mint to crush but later figured out how to do it easier with the syrup. My friends would come over for beers and I remember two different times, someone wanted to try one. Fuck me, hands were sore the next day both times from making so many. They would just inhale them as would I. I never learned how to make them by the pitcher and thank God for that.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Cosmo for the wife with called vodka (Kettle One) and light on the juice. Little place in Cowtown Fort Worth (Lonesome Dove) that makes them perfect to her taste. If in FW, give it a try but call ahead for reservations or you won't get seated. We go for our anniversary dinner, and you need to bring two wallets.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
My favorite of all time was the Mojito. When I used to go to bars, I found only 1-2 people that could actually make one right. Most of the time it was shit and I’d send it back or walk behind the bar and show them how. And the best guy I found, oh my. No driving for me after those. I learned how to make them perfect myself. I’d go to the farmers market and buy up all their mint. At first was using sugar cubes with lime and mint to crush but later figured out how to do it easier with the syrup. My friends would come over for beers and I remember two different times, someone wanted to try one. Fuck me, hands were sore the next day both times from making so many. They would just inhale them as would I. I never learned how to make them by the pitcher and thank God for that.

Pre, can you share your recipe/technique? I too have had bad luck getting a good mojito at a bar, but I can't tell how to alter the recipe to correct the problem.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post