SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic cocktails anyone?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic cocktails anyone? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Just personal opinion, but I making enviable old-fashioned.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MASig:

Pre, can you share your recipe/technique? I too have had bad luck getting a good mojito at a bar, but I can't tell how to alter the recipe to correct the problem.

First lots of fresh mint leaves in the bottom of a glass, don’t skimp as the mint is the key to the entire drink. Then take two or three generous lime slices and squeeze the juice into the bottom then throw the lime wedges in there. Then with a muddler, grind. Grind three times as much as you think you should, four times as much. The grinding is equally as key to the drink as generous use of mint. When it’s a soaky watery mess, fill the glass with ice. I like to use the kind of glasses they serve keg beer in at a bar. Those have thick glass at the bottom so perfect for grinding. Add around 1.5-2 ounces of rum (really depends on how tall a glass) on top of the ice and let it drain down. Then fill the glass to the rim with club soda. Stir generously and enjoy. That’s the basic version. I altered it using a shaker. I have one from Bubba Gump’s (Monterey, CA) that I think was used for Margaritas. Has the little shot type glass at the top but the whole thing is plastic. That shaker is how I made them so damn good. Pour the whole glass of stuff into that shaker after you’ve filled the glass with club soda, and literally, shake the living fuck out of it. No 007 Martini type deal, times 10 to that. Shake it until you are slightly annoyed.

In the beginning you’ll pour too much rum or too little depending on your taste. The problem you and I had with bars serving them, is they make them too fast, don’t use enough mint or limes, don’t grind it up enough either. It’s a drink that takes time. Gotta put some love into that muddler, and really grind it. Extra lime, extra mint, and high quality white rum. Then the shaker. I’ve never seen a bartender use a shaker to make one. Just be warned, you nail it down and get it right, you’ll get fucked up. At least I did. When you get it right, man they go down fast, especially on a porch or at the pool in the summer heat. And you want ultra carbonated club soda so stay away from liter bottles. Get the smaller ones and just buy a bunch of them. You don’t want to crack a liter of club soda open, use some, then a week later crack it back open. Sugar cubes vs. simple syrup, once you have it down it’s irrelevant. Simple syrup won’t taste a lick of difference to a cube. The drink is a lot like a crown and 7 to me. They do not taste right if you use too much liquor. Everything has to be balanced for the drink to come off. Too much rum, yuck. Too much sugar, yuck.

Enjoy. You’re making me want to go buy ingredients and get lit tomorrow night. I haven’t made them in years.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Pre:

I make mojitos very similar. They are a hit and go down way too easy. I think you missed the sugar amount in your recipe above. I think I use 3/4 oz of simple. My basic recipe comes from Anders Erickson. There are 2 methods similar to yours. Only exception is not mashing the mint too much.

I planted mint on my side yard hill. It gave me plenty for a few parties last year and it looks to be able to supply a few bars this year.

Only criticism I feel compelled to make is you don't shake a Martini. They should be stirred.

LOL okay, shake if you want but it makes 'em cloudy and different texture than the classic. Bond was wrong!

Last thing: Many of the classic cocktail in my book, like the Southside, have a similar amount of booze, citrus, and sugar. They can be served up in a coupe or you can pour them over ice, add some soda water and you have a high ball.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre, Thanks for the info. I'm planning on experimenting this weekend (and hoping I'm ok for work on Monday!).

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
It looks like I need to pay attention to the receipts offered in this thread.
I just went to order some Drinkworks pods only to find out that Keurig ( the manufacture of Drinkworks) shut down the Drinkworks line.
No more pods or accessories.
They offered a full refund for the Drinkworks machines (about $300) up to Feb 28th 2022. Unfortunately I just discovered this and missed the deadline.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I made margaritas today. 2 parts Patron Silver, 1 part lime, agave to taste. Except I could not add enough agave to chill out the saltiness of the limes. Not tartness... saltiness. I don't like a salted rim so there was no other salt but these tiny little limes I got were just not good. And 8 of them, juiced, made two 6 oz margaritas. Anyways...

I made a pitcher for the weekend but used Cuervo mix. 3 parts mix, 2 parts Altos reposado, 1 part each triple sec and Grand Ma. Cheers!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I haven't made Margaritas in a long time, but when I did I used Cointreau. The Margaritas were very tasty with the Cointreau.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pre, Thanks for the info. I'm planning on experimenting this weekend (and hoping I'm ok for work on Monday!).

Fray corrected me on the simple syrup. I never measured it. It was uh *cough* experimentation to figure that out Big Grin A squeeze. I would use too little in the beginning. You can always squeeze some more in there. Have fun, and drink some for me. I miss it!

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Fray corrected me on the simple syrup. I never measured it. It was uh *cough* experimentation to figure that out Big Grin A squeeze. I would use too little in the beginning. You can always squeeze some more in there. Have fun, and drink some for me. I miss it!

Definitely need to figure out how sweet you like it. That can vary a lot between people. I like them on the sweeter side but lots of people don’t.

Just checked my hill and mint is starting to pop up in a lot of places. I love that it’s a weed.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I need to plant some mint, can you buy seeds at the store?

Love a good Mint Julip

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I haven't made Margaritas in a long time, but when I did I used Cointreau. The Margaritas were very tasty with the Cointreau.

I make a pretty good margarita too, and I always use Cointreau as well. Lately, I’ve been cutting back a bit on the Cointreau. I made the margs at 2:1 tequila to Cointreau, now I’m mixing about 2:3/4 to bring the tequila a bit more forward. I may even drop it back a little more, some tequila aficionados don’t put any orange liqueur into their margaritas.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I need to plant some mint, can you buy seeds at the store?

Love a good Mint Julip

Home Depot will have small plants out with the peppers and tomatoes and stuff. Plant a few and it goes wild. Keep it away from your lawn. It will take over. But mowing smells wonderful.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Definitely need to figure out how sweet you like it. That can vary a lot between people. I like them on the sweeter side but lots of people don’t.

Just checked my hill and mint is starting to pop up in a lot of places. I love that it’s a weed.

Yeah that’s why I kind of didn’t reference sugar amount I think. I remember now experimenting with it and too little, yuck, too much, yuck. It took some pours. I just remember when I finally nailed it. Oh my Lord. This thread is not good for my health.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Yeah that’s why I kind of didn’t reference sugar amount I think. I remember now experimenting with it and too little, yuck, too much, yuck. It took some pours. I just remember when I finally nailed it. Oh my Lord. This thread is not good for my health.

That's for sure. I've been doing good on keto, but the cocktails are definitely keeping me from my goal weight.

These go to eleven.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I don’t do a lot of mixed drinks, but I love a good margarita. 2 parts tequila (Casa Noble makes a mean margarita), 1 part Cointreau, 1 part fresh lime juice. Shake with ice, strain and serve in salted rim. My wife likes ice in hers but I prefer not to water it down.

A good mojito when it is hot is a beautiful thing. Dark and Stormy can be nice as well.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to a good "Old Fashion.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like an actual martini. I am also a fan of a Manhattan and an Old Fashioned. A mint julep is good, too. My wife likes a White Russian.

These are easy to make.

Another fan of Manhattans here.
Also am partial to the scotch variant, AKA the Rob Roy.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too, as well as sour mix.

Anyhow we have binders in our bar with our classic cocktail menu. Here's the index and a few examples. Note the Espresso Martini and Cosmo were not kept in the book for our Speakeasy party. They aren't classic but we keep them for regular parties.

I want an invite to one of your parties!!! Big Grin My wife and I are just about as geeky on the culinary side. Happily exchange great dinners and thermal pig hunting in Texas for the reciprocal red carpet ... Wink

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My wife and I only drink classic cocktails, nothing new or modern. It's to the point if a guy behind the bar refers himself as a "mixologist", I'll walk out. I've had guys like that who mix drinks with basil, thyme, cucumbers, etc. and then make me an awful martini. We make our own cocktails at home have been doing it for almost 4 decades.

Martinis- IMO, martini = gin, not vodka. And yes, dry vermouth is an absolute component, and not just a wisp of it, but at a minimum ratio of 8:1 of gin to vermouth (I like 5:1). Hendricks and Aviation are two excellent gins, with Bombay Sapphire as an everyday bottle. Quady VYA dry vermouth is king, but hard to find in recent years, Dolins is a nice 2nd choice.

Manhattans- I once asked for a manhattan at an L.A. bar and the guy pours bourbon in a ice filled glass, pours it into a lowball glass and drops a bright red cherry into it. I pushed it back to him and ordered a beer. I prefer rye, but bourbon is fine also. But the sweet vermouth, a mandatory ingredient, has to be Carpano Antica, along with a Luxardo cherry. And of course a splash of bitters. Stirred not shaken.

Sidecars- I like Germaine Robin Alambic Brandy, but any good cognac would do. I always use Cointreau and fresh lemon juice, shaken and poured into a cold martini glass. I skip the sugar coating on the rim.

I'll sometimes make a Vesper from the James Bond films, and it is actually an excellent drink. I use 3 parts gin, 1 part vodka, and 1/2 part Cocchi Americano, a substitute for Lillet Blanc. Shaken and poured into a cold martini glass with a lemon twist.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^ I made a Manhattan tonight, I ran out of Punt e Mes Vermouth a while back and cracked open a bottle of Gallo Vermouth tonight. It's dog piss compared to Punt e Mes, lesson learned

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post