SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    DCS World, anyone play?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DCS World, anyone play? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Getting a new laptop soon, using an RTX 2070 graphics card. Was thinking about getting into this DCS World sim. Can it be played in a "medium mode"? Or is it strictly "You better attend the US Air Force Academy before attempting this!!!!"

Also, what's a decent HOTAS set-up that doesn't require an installment plan? LOL The Thrustmaster Warthog set-up looks really nice, but $400-500?!?!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I have been playing DCS off and on for a while. I use Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KCHPRXA

Something that I think you should also consider is a TrackIR for head tracking. It completely changes the game in that you no longer are having to fool with the hat switch to look around. It's a must-have IMHO.

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/TrackIr...ing-PC/dp/B0029M6VKA

JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I play it on a laptop also, I think it’s a GTX 1660ti, so maybe a step down from you. I didn’t have any problems. When I was looking into it most everybody said it had to be on a Desktop, but I was fine. But honestly I didn’t play too much, and it’s been a few months. I just don’t have the time, my kids take up all that. It’s so detailed that it takes some mental energy to learn and remember how to fly the planes, and I don’t have time to commit to it. But I’ll pick it up again (probably after the holidays).

I think I use the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X. It works just fine. I know the Warthog would be really nice to have, but I can’t justify it (kids again). I think it was like $50.

The only plane I have is the P-51, I was just spending time learning the ins and outs. I did download the Community A-4, but have only messed with it a few times. Eventually I want to get the F/A 18, I really want to do carrier landings. But man, landing the P-51 is tough enough.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with DCS, but it does sound like fun and something I'd like to get into at some point.

Jell-O, from the FPP podcast did an episode last year on DCS and interviewed Matt Wagner from Eagle Dynamics on the subject, and they got into system requirements and optimal set-ups.

FPP028- Air Combat Simulation Gaming

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:

Something that I think you should also consider is a TrackIR for head tracking. It completely changes the game in that you no longer are having to fool with the hat switch to look around. It's a must-have IMHO.

I have wondered how this works....so you move your head, like you're really looking around and that moves your view in the sim.

But doesn't that mean you're having to still keep your eyes on the monitor?? Seems awkward.

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just now getting into it. It's impressive. I haven't touched a flight sim since Falcon 4 in the late 90's. What got me interested was a youtube channel from The Grim Reapers a virtual squadron with a thousand videos of gameplay online.

As a track IR alternative I got a Delanclip and it works great.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

I have wondered how this works....so you move your head, like you're really looking around and that moves your view in the sim.

But doesn't that mean you're having to still keep your eyes on the monitor?? Seems awkward.

In the software you set up a curved intensity to the motion, it's not linear. By the time my face is pointed to the left edge of the monitor, which is still comfortable for my eyes to see the whole screen, I'm already looking completely over my virtual shoulder in the sim.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Will that work on a 17" laptop screen though?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Will that work on a 17" laptop screen though?

In principle, yes. But that’s a small screen. I’m using a 27” monitor. Head tracking reallly does increase the immersion, but on a laptop? I’m not sure.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
just started playing with the F18c. I bought the X56 hotas and its pretty good. Its pricey too and I think i would have preferred something a little simpler.

Its a buggy game but is a blast when i have to time to learn all the damn weapon systems. Right now im enjoying just flying around the boat and the occasional mig fight.

I'm thinking about trying the track IR or the VR googles. trying to follow migs when the move behind you is a real pain without the extra tech.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....maybe I'll hold off on and see if I can make my laptop display on the RV TV before trying the TrackIR.

I gather the high fidelity plane models are quite the challenge to learn. Kinda makes me think I should just find one plane to really learn. I was thinking I'd get the Flaming Cliffs 3 to start, then maybe pick up the F-16 as it's sort of a "do-it-all" plane. Then maybe high fidelity models of the planes in FC3 if I grasp it.

posted Hide Post
I've started with FC3 and have decided to learn A2A in the F-15. So far so good. If you can play it on the RV TV you'll be in business.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmmm....maybe I'll hold off on and see if I can make my laptop display on the RV TV before trying the TrackIR.

I gather the high fidelity plane models are quite the challenge to learn. Kinda makes me think I should just find one plane to really learn. I was thinking I'd get the Flaming Cliffs 3 to start, then maybe pick up the F-16 as it's sort of a "do-it-all" plane. Then maybe high fidelity models of the planes in FC3 if I grasp it.

Most have down load check lists for start and shut down. You can copy them to your knee board display.

You can fly with out trackir but its a bit of a pain when they get behind you as its supposed to be. There are lots of instructional videos to watch and help you learn the systems.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Amazing timing! This came out the day after the OP posted:

https://youtu.be/eFp0yxdThF8

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I know, right? Even simulated, I figure landing a plane on a carrier is beyond my ability.

posted Hide Post
Allen how's it going?

I started in the F-15 and I've got it down pretty good. I also discovered multiplayer is a great time. I've picked up several modules on sale and started learning the UH-1 a couple weeks ago. It's hard Big Grin Anybody else playing online?

As for hardware my PC is doing just fine but I switched to a widescreen 34" monitor. It's amazing.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What HOTAS are you using? I'm considering getting one so I can start playing Star Citizen, but I'm also considering DCS.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
X-56 from Logitech. It’s spendy but very flexible and performs well. No pedals so I’m just using the twist axis on the joystick, but that’s good enough for me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I know, right? Even simulated, I figure landing a plane on a carrier is beyond my ability.

I've started trying to learn the F-18 but trying to fly patterns "on speed" (at the right AOA) was surprisingly difficult. I suspect that like most things, once you get it you've got it, and landing on a virtual carrier would be pretty easy.

This supercarrier module looks amazing. Here's an update with actual launch operations:

posted Hide Post
I use track ir in DCS and you'll get use to it in half a day. Little weird at first then it just becomes natural.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post