SIGforum
The Conan book series

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3040031974

January 29, 2021, 04:52 PM
Oat_Action_Man
The Conan book series
If a guy wanted to start reading some of the books in the Conan series, where's the best place to start?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
January 29, 2021, 05:55 PM
Blume9mm
I read them about 40 years ago.... I would start from the beginning... they are actually great reading as I recall.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
January 29, 2021, 05:59 PM
flesheatingvirus
Didn’t seem to matter much. I started here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...rt_story_collection)

I still have the paperbacks. Good stuff.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
January 29, 2021, 10:39 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

I still have the paperbacks. Good stuff.

Yep. The great covers sold the books. Good stories but the covers brought them to life.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
January 30, 2021, 08:24 AM
max628
I would start with the Robert E. Howard books first , then the collaborations, then the books written by other authors. Robert E. Howard created the character if you didn't already know, along with Kull series and a few others.
January 30, 2021, 12:25 PM
joel9507
This series is a good one, based primarily on REH work, with some L. Sprague DeCamp and Lin Carter work Lancer/Ace Conan paperbacks

That's what got me started, anyway. I would hope those may still be available in used form somewhere.

RE: starting. I believe (and I may be wrong here) that the first story (i.e earliest in Conan's career, not the first one published) in the REH body of work is "Frost Giant's Daughter" but there are non-REH stories that go back to when he was very young.
January 30, 2021, 02:29 PM
copaup
I just finished a reread of all the Robert E Howard Conan stories. They weren't released (or written) in chronological order, rather skipping around Conan's life as if it was a man telling tales of his adventures around a fire. The stories were written in the 30's and show their age a bit, but are head and shoulders above any of the later Conan tales.

L Sprague DeCamp expanded some REH work and finished some Howard stories after Howard died. They are OK. I grew up reading Robert Jordan Conan novels and have a soft spot for them, but they don't really hold a candle to the originals.

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard
January 31, 2021, 05:49 PM
sigspecops
I was a huge Conan fan when I was younger. I had a big collection of the comic books but for some reason I just never read any of the novels. I did love the cover art though.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
February 01, 2021, 07:12 AM
Ronin1069
Glad I happened upon this thread.

Something new to read!

I used to collect the large “black and white” Savage Sword of Conan magazines.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Sword_of_Conan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 01, 2021, 07:58 AM
copaup
Amazon has all of the Robert E Howard stories collected into 3 volumes. If you have the Kindle app, I think they are $26 for all three if I remember right.
February 23, 2021, 01:11 PM
Storm
When I read them as a teenager, I read the Lancer/Ace Paperback Series. They include most all the Conan Stories by Howard, as well some by L. Sprague de Camp, Lin Carter, and Björn Nyberg. I liked all of them. I consider these Conan Canon.

There are a number of Howard stories including many Conan ones here at the Gutenberg project. They are free to download in a number of different digital formats.

https://www.gutenberg.org/eboo...&submit_search=Go%21

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 24, 2021, 06:21 PM
Underdog
There was another book series similar to Conan. the character was a barbarian as well and tore up the land.

He was a Destroyer too. I know its not much to go on, but does anyone know what those books were?
February 24, 2021, 07:24 PM
andronicus
Definitely start with the Howard books, as others have said. I have a collection of his short stories called "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian." It has a lot of the history of the character and various peoples of the Hyborian age.
February 25, 2021, 07:23 PM
BurtonRW
On a related note, check out the biopic "The Whole Wide World" w/ Vincent D'Onofrio as REH.

Saw it years ago and remember it being pretty good. I'll have to watch it again now.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
February 25, 2021, 09:18 PM
Cleburne
Conan series was a good read but I really loved the Icewind Dale Trilogy.
February 27, 2021, 10:50 PM
DonGlock26
If you like the Conan books, you may like
the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series (D&D was influenced by them),the Elric of Melniboné series,and the Kane series by Karl Edward Wagner.

-----------------------------------
"If they don't go concentrating on meaningless cosmetic changes, like rainbow this or two-tone that, or wood grip panels from the ackabalacka tree"-Parabellum
February 27, 2021, 11:57 PM
LS1 GTO
[Beavis]Moorcock, he, hehe, he said Moorcock, he hehe[/Beavis]

[Butthead] Yea, I like Moorcock, hehehe[/Butthead]

[Beavis] Eek Shut up Butthead.[/Beavis]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

February 28, 2021, 05:43 PM
Herkdriver
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:
There was another book series similar to Conan. the character was a barbarian as well and tore up the land.

He was a Destroyer too. I know its not much to go on, but does anyone know what those books were?

Are you thinking about Kull of Atlantis? wikipedia link

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson
March 01, 2021, 03:20 PM
Oat_Action_Man
quote:
Originally posted by Cleburne:
Conan series was a good read but I really loved the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Read that back in the day. Actually snagged them out of my parents' basement last month!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
March 03, 2021, 06:02 PM
bonanacroin
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:

REH wrote the Cormac Mac Art series. It was about an Irish barbarian who fell in with a band of Vikings and their adventures. Decent read. The original Conan series is still my favorite.