SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Metallica ~ The Blacklist (30 year Black Album tribute)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metallica ~ The Blacklist (30 year Black Album tribute) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
First and foremost… 30 years? I recall going with buddies to the PX on Camp Kinser in Okinawa to get the CD. we played the shit out of it.

53 artist covered the black album, here’s a list of songs in order of perceived enjoyability.

Overall, I agree with this list.

https://www.loudersound.com/fe...d-from-worst-to-best

Their #1, and so far my favorite is the Miley cover of Nothing Else Matters. It features Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, and Robert Trujillo as well. It is interesting to me how certain musicians just have a specific “sound”. Listening to the piano there are parts where I definitely hear Elton John without knowing that it is Elton John playing.

Enjoy!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The St. Vincent/Sad But True was pretty good. Very NIN with an awesome guitar solo, but just too timid during the transitions. I will have to listen to David Gahan’s Nothing Else Matters. That song with a little Depeche Mode flavor sounds interesting.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their #1, and so far my favorite is the Miley cover of Nothing Else Matters. It features Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, and Robert Trujillo as well. It is interesting to me how certain musicians just have a specific “sound”. Listening to the piano there are parts where I definitely hear Elton John without knowing that it is Elton John playing.

Funny how all I hear is Auto-Tune. Frown
FWIW, I love the old Metallica.

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Where's the puking emoji. I agree smschulz but as we know, everyone appreciates things differently. To me, her vocals are flat in this and the only inflection is when she's trying to scream. Not a fan of this cover. Some pretty good ones from amateurs on YouTube if you want to dig.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Volbeat, Chris Stapleton and Weezer are good some a lot of the others I’ve heard are garbage to me.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I've listened to each of the 53 songs (as much as I could stomach anyway). There's none that stand out as exceptional. Chris Stapleton was the closest to being acceptable. Volbeat has a great sound but I'm not a fan of lead singer Michael Poulsens vocals.

Most are just synth pop garbage not worthy of bandwidth.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The Hu's version of Through the Never is pretty badass:
https://youtu.be/PvKyRd817ko

I like a couple of the other interpretations, but they're more of a Pop sound than Metal.

The album is $50, so...I'll be enjoying various songs through YouTube only.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I've listened to each of the 53 songs (as much as I could stomach anyway). There's none that stand out as exceptional.

That was my take as well. Disappointing overall.

A few, like Darius Rucker and Corey Taylor, were okay but not outstanding. The rest ranged from almost decent to kinda bad to absolutely terrible.

(And c'mon... I know it's one of Metallica's more obscure songs, but only one artist attempted a cover of "Of Wolf and Man"? There's like eleventeen covers apiece of the rest of the songs, but only one was willing to take a crack at this?)

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It never ceases to amaze me the varying tastes in music. I am not the biggest Metallica fan so that could possibly be the problem.
They aren’t like Weezer or Nine Inch Nails which I immediately change their songs and absolutely can’t listen to but I don’t really go out of my way to listen to Metallica. I own S&M which I find to be an outstanding album but that is really all I need and without the symphony orchestra I am not sure I would own it.

As for those covers in that list, I tried, I really tried to listen to most of them but most got shut off pretty quick.
As iconic a band as Metallica is that is the best offering of covers that could be had???
That Miley Cirus was absolutely atrocious. The only two that I almost made it to the end of were a Chris Stapleton and Darius Rucker.

But again I am not huge on Metallica so that may be the issue.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Where's the puking emoji. I agree smschulz but as we know, everyone appreciates things differently. To me, her vocals are flat in this and the only inflection is when she's trying to scream. Not a fan of this cover. Some pretty good ones from amateurs on YouTube if you want to dig.

Was just thinking the same....
Is this Cyrus? Has she always sang low...oh, I see, the chorus hits and she goes up two octives, smh

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
That Miley Cirus was absolutely atrocious.

I thought it was the old lady from The Memory Remains.
If you look up 'famous for being famous' you'll find a picture of Miley Cyrus. Ear bleach. Her cover of Zombie is worse.

It seems that the bands/artists that really respect the song try to keep it very similar - the song is popular for a reason. The others try to change it & usually butcher it.

I haven't listened to it all the way through, but I'm hitting skip a lot.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ew. Do not like!

I like old Metallica, up to and including Reload. The rest, not so much.

Good for them if this is what they wanted to do, but no thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

I'm sure Lars made sure that some residual fees would come from each cover.

Funny, how when Metallica does covers such as Garage, Inc. the music comes out pretty damn good. When other bands try to cover their songs, same with AC/DC cover attempts.....not so much Frown

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

I'm sure Lars made sure that some residual fees would come from each cover.

Funny, how when Metallica does covers such as Garage, Inc. the music comes out pretty damn good. When other bands try to cover their songs, same with AC/DC cover attempts.....not so much Frown

Yes it feels a bit cash-grabby, but that's fine. Looks like the bands who did the covers were excited to be a part of it and it's hard to begrudge them, I'd probably do a shitty cover too if they invited me.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes it feels a bit cash-grabby, but that's fine.

100% of proceeds go to charity.

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej...ists-covers/13408538

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's cool...

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
We all have different musical tastes; I'm surprised at dislike for the majority of the takes on this classic album.

The boys are all closer to 60 than they are 50 now...they have a catalog that will still fill stadiums at a moments notice. That would not be the case if they tried to remake Ride the Lightening and Kill em' All over and over again (see also, Megadeath).

I appreciate their willingness to take creative chances, Master of Puppets would never have happened without that leap of faith in their creativity.

Then again...either would Load or ReLoad...LOL

I think the band is right in the sweet spot. They can get compliments like this from Elton John (which made James cry, LOL)...

And then a few weeks later then can open a 'bar show' with Whiplash and just plain slay...hell, even Lars looks like he's keeping up.

And of course one of my favorite songs; although I cannot hear this without thinking of Jason.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like Load and ReLoad, quite a lot.

And everything that came before them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
And then a few weeks later then can open a 'bar show' with Whiplash and just plain slay...hell, even Lars looks like he's keeping up.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8beim69tsRg" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That was a surprise show....$20/ticket 500 tickets only. Eek

Excellent set list:

“The Ecstasy of Gold” (taped Ennio Morricone intro)
“Whiplash”
“Ride the Lightning”
“The Memory Remains”
“Now That We’re Dead”
“Holier Than Thou”
“No Leaf Clover”
“Sad but True”
“Moth Into Flame”
“Fade to Black”
“For Whom the Bell Tolls”
“Creeping Death”
“One”
“Master of Puppets”

Encore
“Battery”
“Fuel”
“Seek and Destroy”

posted Hide Post
I saw them at U of IL Assembly Hall during the Black tour in '91 or '92. That was quite a show. I'm not a huge fan - Kirk's old guitar teacher Joe Satriani was more my style.

But they defined a new genre in the 80's and have been at it for 38 years - without turning to shit or breaking up. That's a huge accomplishment.

Lately, I really like Fuel, and their cover of Queen's Stone Cold Crazy which sounds like Metallica wrote it. Funny how Queen was so far ahead of their time...

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post