New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cowboy Bebop Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Did not get a chance to watch the original again before starting the live action one.....but I'm liking it so far!!!!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16174 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Planning to mini-binge tonight! Love the original, so really hopeful this is good.

Putting The Expanse on hold.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
EINSTEIN!!!

Posts: 16174 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hoping to queue it up soon, now to decide: English or Japanese audio.

The first couple times I watched the original, it was the English dub, the last time Japanese with subs. Both good.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What's this on? (I can look it up, but you should still say what network.)

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Netflix has the original Anime and the new Live Action.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
1 episode down. So far it doesn't quite capture the original, we'll see if it improves.

One minor complaint so far, the music is very subdued/quiet. Wish it was a bit louder & prominent, especially in the fight scenes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

posted Hide Post
3 eps in…
Spike and Jet are cast well. Faye, not enough screen time to say.

The story line isn’t the same as the anime. The original story lines are kinda there, but this is mostly the Spike/Vicious story.

The predominance of musical genres that the anime presented (and is a hallmark of Watanabe anime) really hasn’t shown yet. It’s really mostly jazz so far. But, I dig jazz, and might hunt down a show playlist.

Ein has appeared… but the Ein origin story isn’t there, at least not yet.

This show is using the anime intellectual property, but not trying quite so much to just be a live action, shot by shot version. Which, I appreciate, actually. Be a new thing. Really, I got a early Jackie Chan kinda vibe in places.

Shinichiro Watanabe is listed as consultant in the credits, so I’ll see it to the end.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
3 in now, still enough to keep me interested. Jet seems perfect casted in the English dub, very close to the original, though the actor seems leaner than what I'd expect. Cho is doing well as Spike, too.

Still wish the music was more pronounced, and the fighting doesn't seem to flow, but I guess that's digital vs live.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Lotta Bladerunner references in Ep. 7, and one Dirty Dozen one. LOL

I don't like Pineda as Valentine. She just doesn't seem right.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Re: casting
I'm not a big fan of the casting for Vicious, either. Just doesn't have the same personality feel as the anime.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I've not watched the anime one and recently watched Ghost in the Shell.

The Live action one seems to be pretty good and I'm still watching it.
The Jazz is cool and adds a nice touch.
I'll probably watch the Anime one as well now.

Altered Carbon is another one I like and have watched it several times.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I've not watched the anime one and recently watched Ghost in the Shell.

The Live action one seems to be pretty good and I'm still watching it.
The Jazz is cool and adds a nice touch.
I'll probably watch the Anime one as well now.

Altered Carbon is another one I like and have watched it several times.

If you enjoy the live CB, you'll likely love the anime.

I really enjoyed Altered Carbon, bummed it got cancelled.

posted Hide Post
8 eps in.

I’m ok with Pineda as Valentine, but not thrilled with the writing of her story. If you see the anime, you can tell where some of hers is missing, like the gambling addiction. And no Radical Ed yet.

Ein as special dog appears, but not the data dog of the anime. Simple thing, bothers me a little, not sure why.

Becoming a fan of Mustafa, though. I like his Jet Black.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigJacket,

--

JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished.

If you watched the live action first, the anime will fill in some story details, especially the side arcs.

Had some thoughts on the ending, but it seemed to much spoiler alert for those that have seen the anime first.

It seems like it is setup for a season 2, which would make some sense, because they didn’t use all the original source material. But, on the other hand, we have used up the original Spike storyline.

Corn-fused.

--

JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
5 in now.
So far Vicious is my least favorite casting, just doesn't fit the personality of the anime character.

The previous post has me curious, but not enough to spoil it.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
4 eps in, holding my interest, will finish the rest tonight then finally start the anime. It's been on my to watch list for years.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Maybe they took a page from The Walking Dead...sorta/kinda followed the story line from the original material, but then took a hard left once they got to the end (or caught up to, in the case of TWD) in order to keep the series going.

I enjoyed it, but probably because I haven't really watched the anime repeatedly. I think Cho and Shakir did a great job. Still not sold on Pineda though.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
7 in
First mention of Ed!
LONDES was an interesting take
Mink was pretty comical

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I started back in on the anime....kinda cool how it aligns (or not) with the live action. An example...the Space Warriors eco-terrorists' gas turns humans into apes, not trees, in the anime. But it was astonishing how much Adrienne Barbeau's Maria Murdock resembled the anime version. LOL