SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Season 5 of Better Call Saul finally hit netflix today.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Season 5 of Better Call Saul finally hit netflix today. Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I don't like Jimmy, I don't like Kim, I don't like the shooting gallery cheap clowns in the crosshairs of our noble protagonists.

Yes, pretty much most of the characters in Better Call Saul are unlikeable. My other favorite TV series all have very unlikeable main characters as well; Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, True Detective. Hell, look at Seinfeld; the three main characters are supreme assholes.

Maybe the reason the characters in BSC are unlikeable is because it is a TV series about ruthless drug dealers and ruthless lawyers. But IMO, a very well done series, the writing, casting, acting, direction, music, etc. are near perfect.

And let us not leave out the cinematography. Some very creative angles and use of background. Also attention to detail. You're hard pressed to find a scene where there's a beer glass with a head and two seconds later it's flat, or a button is fastened and then it's not. Not saying the show is prefect or the best ever done, but compared to other series these days I feel it's doing it right. Just like all things entertainment, watch it or walk out.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:
Early seasons and the fact that Kim was not even mentioned in Breaking Bad had me thinking that she would meet a bad end.

In just the first 2 episodes now however, I'm getting the feeling that Saul is becoming fearful of who she really is. There were several 'looks' where he is thinking 'damn, who is she?' I am thinking she dumps him as she considers him a small-time scammer, and she has her sights set on big scams and grifts.

I thought, and still think Kim will come to a bad end, and that is what will push McGill into abandoning all shreds of Jimmy's goodness (like leaving that money with the tax scammers) and fully embracing Saul Goodman.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree. The Kellermans really hate Kim. That hatred was visible even before the IRS call. I could see Mrs. K running her car over Kim in a fit of anger.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree. The Kellermans really hate Kim. That hatred was visible even before the IRS call. I could see Mrs. K running her car over Kim in a fit of anger.

I don't know if it will come to this. I see Kim winning the battle with the bitch and somehow exiting stage right, leaving Saul to buy/optain their liberty inflatable for his new digs in a warn out strip mall.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
quote:
I don't like Jimmy, I don't like Kim, I don't like the shooting gallery cheap clowns in the crosshairs of our noble protagonists.

Yes, pretty much most of the characters in Better Call Saul are unlikeable. My other favorite TV series all have very unlikeable main characters as well; Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, True Detective. Hell, look at Seinfeld; the three main characters are supreme assholes.

Maybe the reason the characters in BSC are unlikeable is because it is a TV series about ruthless drug dealers and ruthless lawyers. But IMO, a very well done series, the writing, casting, acting, direction, music, etc. are near perfect.

And let us not leave out the cinematography. Some very creative angles and use of background. Also attention to detail. You're hard pressed to find a scene where there's a beer glass with a head and two seconds later it's flat, or a button is fastened and then it's not. Not saying the show is prefect or the best ever done, but compared to other series these days I feel it's doing it right. Just like all things entertainment, watch it or walk out.

Some/most of it is just plain stupid.
Finished up season 5 and in episode 9 or 10 for instance where the camera is viewing through the coffee pot while it drips and Jimmy is getting ready I believe. I distinctly remember thinking to myself that is a stupid angle. Quite a few times like that.

So we finished up Season 5 *******Spoilers Below**********

In Episode 9 and 10 it hit almost like it did in the show You.
Hot Damn!! This chick is just as crazy if not crazier than him!

I was hoping for the season to pick up a little bit.

Fring’s highly paid/trained team was an absolute waste. Nothing but poor tactics that got themselves all killed.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
[

Fring’s highly paid/trained team was an absolute waste. Nothing but poor tactics that got themselves all killed.

I don't get it. If you are this dissatisfied with the show why the heck are you watching?

-D.H. Lawrence

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
[

I don't get it. If you are this dissatisfied with the show why the heck are you watching?

It is mildly entertaining enough not to just quit watching and the Wife likes it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get it. If you are this dissatisfied with the show why the heck are you watching?[/QUOTE]

It is mildly entertaining enough not to just quit watching and the Wife likes it.[/QUOTE]

I get this. Like the Walking Dead has been absolute crap the last couple of seasons, and we keep watching because 'heck, it's the end, might as well finish it out. But oh man, we absolutely hate it now.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get this. Like the Walking Dead has been absolute crap the last couple of seasons, and we keep watching because 'heck, it's the end, might as well finish it out. But oh man, we absolutely hate it now.

TWD is truly awful, isn't it? But yeah, too much time in not to let the stupid string play out.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I think Kim truly loves Jimmy. She's all in. I believe the thrill she gets by the con jobs she and Jimmy pull have hooked into something inside her and she has essentially just come to grips with the fact that she really enjoys it. Saul never pursues any woman in BB other than for completely prurient purposes. Something bad happens to Kim and it almost certainly involves the Salamancas. Maybe the twins but probably Lalo.

I mean look at how happy she looked in the last episode (2), she might as well have been wearing a Star Trek shirt in engineering red.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I thought, and still think Kim will come to a bad end, and that is what will push McGill into abandoning all shreds of Jimmy's goodness (like leaving that money with the tax scammers) and fully embracing Saul Goodman.

My thoughts exactly.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna take the long shot bet that when "Gene Takavic" goes home from his job at Cinnabon in Omaha, it's Kim waiting for him there. Wink

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

TWD is truly awful, isn't it? But yeah, too much time in not to let the stupid string play out.

I used to like TWD, but I've not watch it for years. It stared becoming stupid in my view, way beyond earlier seasons. So I just quit watching. That's the viewer's choice and what drives better programing down the line. Producers: "WTF, our viewers are declining, should we do what we're doing or listen to our viewers?"

-D.H. Lawrence

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMO, even in its best seasons, TWD was nowhere near the quality of BCS. That is because of the genius of Vince Gilligan; he consistently, season after season, keeps the stories and the writing sharp, the casting and acting stellar, in both BB and BCS.

TWD jumped the shark when Shane was killed. The Governor arc kept the series alive and interesting, but it was a slow downhill slide from there.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

IMO, even in its best seasons, TWD was nowhere near the quality of BCS. That is because of the genius of Vince Gilligan; he consistently, season after season, keeps the stories and the writing sharp, the casting and acting stellar, in both BB and BCS.

TWD jumped the shark when Shane was killed. The Governor arc kept the series alive and interesting, but it was a slow downhill slide from there.

My sentiments exactly. BCS is not the end all, but it's done much better then a big percentage of shows out there these days. For those of us that watched BB, then transitioned to BCS, it's must see TV. I look forward to the next episode which I can't say for anything else I'm currently watching.

-D.H. Lawrence

posted Hide Post
Irritated they didn’t drop the entire season I would have binge watched. Now I have to wait a week between episodes.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Irritated they didn’t drop the entire season I would have binge watched. Now I have to wait a week between episodes.

Some series do it some don't. I like the complete drop, my wifie likes once a week. I tell her, with a complete drop, the choice is yours. Just watch one episode a week at the time of your choosing. But Nooo, she thinks that's not the same. scratching my head.

-D.H. Lawrence

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
pretty much most of the characters in Better Call Saul are unlikeable .

What about Mike? Seems to have some level of guts and grit.

Well, except for with that one guy, but other than that... (I'll keep to vague as to not create a spoiler)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I ran across this, with the long WuFlu hiatus, some may need a refresher.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
For BCS fans, I came across this interesting recap.
https://youtu.be/C4yenXwx7ao

-D.H. Lawrence