SIGforum
The Band, Cream, and their Impact on the Evolution of Rock

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/2260022974

February 01, 2021, 12:26 PM
TMats
The Band, Cream, and their Impact on the Evolution of Rock
Those much younger than I cannot conceive the impact of this band at the time. The vocal is by bass player, Jack Bruce who also co-wrote the song along with lyricist, Pete Brown. The two of them wrote many (most?) of Cream’s singles. The band was among the first to be termed a “super group,” Clapton from The Yardbirds and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers; Jack Bruce from the Graham Bond Organisation (Brit spelling) and Manfred Mann; Ginger Baker also from Graham Bond Organisation (which I’ll have to do some further research on).

Oh, Clapton was one of the early adopters of the Wah pedal.

White Room

February 01, 2021, 12:42 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Ginger Baker also from Graham Bond Organisation (which I’ll have to do some further research on).

Here's a good place to start Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
February 01, 2021, 06:20 PM
M1Garandy
I really enjoyed Beware of Mr. Barker when it came out several years back.
February 02, 2021, 05:33 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Those much younger than I cannot conceive the impact of this band at the time.

The Wheels of Fire album was my introduction. I listened to that album until it was worn out. I especially liked their cover of Robert Johnson's Crossroads and Clapton's solo work in that song. As many may (or may not) know, Crossroads was one of the earliest blues songs to come out of the Mississippi Delta in the 1930s.

When in doubt, mumble
February 02, 2021, 09:53 AM
just1tym
Loved most all the albums suggested above and another early favorite was Disraeli Gears. Especially when they morphed into the classic Blind Faith works. That album had songs that will always spin in my mind.

Regards, Will G.
February 02, 2021, 08:25 PM
mikeyspizza

February 02, 2021, 10:42 PM
hberttmank
Cream was some great stuff. Been listening to their music since 1966 on record album, 8 track, cassette, cd, and now the BD concert vids. EC knows how to play the guitar.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
February 03, 2021, 12:32 AM
bald1
...and there was also Alexis Korner and John Mayall back in the day who influenced a lot of greats early in their careers.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192