SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Bob Swagger novel: Targeted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Bob Swagger novel: Targeted Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
This latest Swagger novel by Stephen Hunter is a more enjoyable read than his last couple of books IMO. Plot has some nice surprises, and a subplot involving a duel in North Carolina in 1780 adds new texture to the Swagger genealogy.

Highly recommended!

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I've read all the rest of them, I'll have to read this one too. Bob Lee, his daddy Earl and his grandfather Charles were all bad ass mother fuckers.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the review
I have read most of Stephen Hunters books but the last couple I struggled with.

I am glad he is getting back on track..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I just finished book 1 - ‘Point of Impact’. Great ending but it sure took a long time to get there. I’ll head on to book 2 after I finish Dean Koonz’s ‘Quicksilver’.

Sooooo many great books and so little time.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4227 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I am a huge Hunter fan, will buy this as soon as it's out in paperback.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have read all of his from The Master Sniper (1980) up to Game of Snipers (2019) and was entertained by all, some more than others. And Bob's boy is bad ass also.
My top three are
Point of Impact
Dirty White Boys
Time to Hunt

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I saw this thread. It reminds me to get a Stephen Hunter book from the library. I have read several of his books. Bob Lee, Earl,etc. I thought "The Third Bullet" was interesting. It put me in the mind of the old guy in the movie "Shooter" that talked about the bullet wrapped in paper. It's been a while since I read that book so I am not sure if my memory is accurate on that.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles Swagger can suck start a pistol for all I care.

I will look for a copy of this latest work when ice got a chance. I'm a couple books behind now.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was not aware of the new release.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Revive an old thread
His last few books were okay but looks like he has one debuting in Jan 2023

I am not sure about this one
I wish he would have written about his exploits in the Pacific.

This one seems a little far off to me.
I will check it out from the library.

The gist of the book:

The Bullet Garden: An Earl Swagger Novel
The long-anticipated origin story of legendary Marine, fan favorite, and father of literary icon Bob Lee takes us to the battlefields of World War II as Earl Swagger embarks on a top secret and deadly mission—from Pulitzer Prize­–winning and New York Times bestselling Stephen Hunter, “one of the best thriller novelists around” (The Washington Post).

July, 1944: The lush, rolling hills of Normandy are dotted with a new feature—German snipers. From their vantage points, they pick off hundreds of Allied soldiers every day, bringing the D-Day invasion to its knees. It’s clear that someone is tipping off these snipers with the locations of American GIs, but who? And how?

General Eisenhower demands his intelligence service to find the best shot in the Allied military to counter this deadly SS operation. Enter Pacific hero Earl Swagger, assigned this crucial and bloody mission. With crosshairs on his back, Swagger can’t trust anyone as he infiltrates the shadowy corners of London and France for answers.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:

...I wish he would have written about his exploits in the Pacific...

"The 47th Samurai" starts with Earl fighting on Iwo Jima (Feb-March 1945:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...sch_vapi_tkin_p1_i11

In "The Bullet Garden" he goes to Europe in July 1944, presumably he had fought on Tarawa or another battle. I've read every Hunter book (many twice) but cannot remember.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post