Notify
Tools

Wheel of Time Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by TheOtherDave:

IMHO, the only objectively bad things they’ve done is not have heron marks on Tam’s sword’s hilt

The heron mark was there. Just one quick flash but it was there.

I saw the one at the base of the blade. Was there one on the hilt, too? If so, I missed it. The one on the hilt is pretty important to some plot points later on (unless they’re going to change some other stuff). The one on the base of the blade is, I suppose, a nice touch, but it doesn’t really matter to anything (IIRC).

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
The one on the base of the blade was part of the hilt, not the blade IIRC. Regardless, close enough compared to some of the other changes.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
The one on the base of the blade was part of the hilt, not the blade IIRC. Regardless, close enough compared to some of the other changes.

Disagree, because spoilers. Well, unless they change something else to compensate.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is not a middle-ages village. It is total fantasy - there are horn-headed demons and magic, for pete's sake. There is no reason that the people in a fantasy world can't be any race, color, or whatever. If their skin color or eye shape isn't important to the story for some internal reason, it just doesn't matter. It isn't a matter of "sensible." This isn't an English or German village from 1300. It is total fantasy.

Of course not. They could just as easily make Gandalf a female midget and it would be just fine. Robert Jordan spent zero time describing their looks and culture. Nothing about Faile’s features is ever mentioned. Hawkwing could be a street thug from Compton. No problem.

What a jackass thing to interject.

There’s literally THOUSANDS of words written describing the features of characters, and millions of people ingested most or all of it, envisioning what the characters looked like. So it seems foolish and haughty to come into a thread like this and say something like “It’s fantasy, you rubes, Aslan is fine as a giraffe.” or “Who cares if Frodo is a 300lb chick, it’s fantasy. God.”

There is zero reason for the show runners to change these things. Zero. If you want to say, “I did or did not read the books and I don’t care.” Fine.

It all matters to the people that read the books, and it’s dumb as shit for anyone on this planet to expect these things to succeed without the people that read the books: IE the fans.

Shit man.

EDIT - I see your later response. Thank you.

quote:
The Bore isn’t the same thing as the Breaking. I don’t recall the complete list of who made the Bore, but the Breaking was caused by men who could channel going insane and, well, breaking the world with the one power.

Correct. The taint caused the insanity, but that isn't how the show framed it. "Men in their arrogance..." NO, men literally lost their minds. The entire prologue with Lews was heartbreaking because he was IN-SANE and he obliterated his family, and then in his agony, grief, and death created Dragonmount.

That little story alone would have been a fantastic 15m opening that could have given the audience what they needed to jump into the story.

But no, they had to turn it into commentary about how evil men are, and if you don't believe me look at how horrible ALL of the men are. I mean goddamn wtf would they write ANY of the shit they wrote about the men that's not consistent with the actual literature.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9151 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
The Bore isn’t the same thing as the Breaking. I don’t recall the complete list of who made the Bore, but the Breaking was caused by men who could channel going insane and, well, breaking the world with the one power.

Correct. The taint caused the insanity, but that isn't how the show framed it. "Men in their arrogance..." NO, men literally lost their minds. The entire prologue with Lews was heartbreaking because he was IN-SANE and he obliterated his family, and then in his agony, grief, and death created Dragonmount.

That little story alone would have been a fantastic 15m opening that could have given the audience what they needed to jump into the story.

But no, they had to turn it into commentary about how evil men are, and if you don't believe me look at how horrible ALL of the men are. I mean goddamn wtf would they write ANY of the shit they wrote about the men that's not consistent with the actual literature.

LTT specifically was arguably arrogant in that he thought they could fix the bore without saidar. In fact, I think I remember someone (saying who is spoilers, IIRC) saying precisely that later in the series.

One dude certainly isn’t the same as “all men who can channel”, but seeing as how LTT and his hundred companions were all men, and how they’re making it seem like maybe the Aes Sedai are a bit more confused WRT what they “know” about the Age of Legends as compared to the books, I’ll forgive them the oversight (even though I don’t particularly care for that line either).

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the last 2 books. I need to rectify that.

I read the rest and enjoyed them alot. To the point that it is my favorite fantasy series ever. GOT was good but it didn't hold me like the wheel of time did.

The problem with watching movies based on books is that the movie rarely compares with your imagination. I can forgive some artistic changes. When I watched the first episode, I was like "I don't remember perrin being married lol" turns out my memory is good lol

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh shit Ronin. The last two books are undeniably the best two books in the series. Like you won’t want to put them down good. Not speaking ill of Jordan because he created the whole thing and left a gift wrapped tale with the best bits for his successor but Sanderson is a great writer on his own. With all due respect I prefer his style as well. (It kind of hurt to say that)

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 episodes in and they have ruined it for me. This thing is a turd.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I tried, but after 4 episodes I just couldn't get into it. I was hooked on GOT after the first episode.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh shit Ronin. The last two books are undeniably the best two books in the series.

1 and 6 were pretty damn good though. I thought the payoff of 6 was great.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9151 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Oh shit Ronin. The last two books are undeniably the best two books in the series.

1 and 6 were pretty damn good though. I thought the payoff of 6 was great.

The ending of the whole story and wrapping all that writing up in the last book is definitely worth reading and "getting around to"

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I started my 5th readthrough of the books when I heard this was actually going to happen. I watched the first episode, and have no desire at all to watch the rest. I've struggled to find the desire to even watch the second episode, although I will have to watch to be fair. I don't find it to be faithful to the world or characters Robert Jordan created.

Beyond that though, I just didn't find it entertaining as a stand alone. I don't think I would have enjoyed it even if I hadn't read the books. It just feels generic.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
20 minutes in on ep.1, fell asleep. Does it get better before I continue?

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Oh shit Ronin. The last two books are undeniably the best two books in the series. Like you won’t want to put them down good. Not speaking ill of Jordan because he created the whole thing and left a gift wrapped tale with the best bits for his successor but Sanderson is a great writer on his own. With all due respect I prefer his style as well. (It kind of hurt to say that)

I could barely get through the last two books, and Sanderson is one of my favorite scifi/fantasy authors.

I think that even years later I just had too much series fatigue to really enjoy them.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but while I think that Robert Jordan was undeniably a master of worldbuilding and creating intricate, interesting plot lines, I don't think his actual writing is very good.

Excluding the prequel, the series is 14 books averaging over 800 pages each. It totals about 4,300,000 words.

An "average" novel is around 100,000 words. The Wheel of Time series is as long as 40+ "normal" novels!

I genuinely think the series could have been cut by at least 3/4 (if not more) and been significantly better without losing anything important.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife watched the first three episodes and filled me in. Not going to waste my time when I can simply re-read the books and get a much better experience and storyline.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the books.

I haven't been captured by the film.

I made it 20 minutes before I found myself with cell phone in hand playing solitaire and shopping gun sites....

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont recall a Aes Sedai lesbian love affair in the books lol

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
Edited to add******SPOILERS******
This show is a despicable woke shit show

Yeah the most powerful woman in the world is a black girl from a fishing village. That’s cool, her race is irrelevant. But they just had to make her a lesbian. And not just some cute closet lesbian. No no. She shoves Lady Moirraine Damodreds face into her muff. Perfect.
Oh and the man hating beastly Liandrin of the red ajah keeps a man on the side. Sure.
Maybe next episode Moirraine will pull out her dick and piss alongside Lan.

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I got as far as them kissing and I tuned it off. I'm done. I should have quit earlier.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I got as far as them kissing and I tuned it off. I'm done. I should have quit earlier.

I was fine with it Big Grin