SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Use of interjection, intransitive verb, and exclamation in literature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of interjection, intransitive verb, and exclamation in literature Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
After listening to Grover Gardner's masterful narration of the Paulette Jiles novel Simon the Fiddler, I've become more attuned to how well an intransitive verb might have been used two centuries ago. While impressed with the manner of one who can appear learned without saying anything, other than on occasion uttering "Hmmmmm" or "Huuhhh", I have failed completely in the art of calm, polite succinct interjection.

Unless you count a pinch of tarragon in chicken stock, which leaves one asking themselves, "What fresh taste of spring dew and summer sun does this man infuse into his soup?" But we speak of verbal, not culinary, interjection.

I've compiled a short list, a few notes. Please add various phrases you recall? Maybe a note on their use? Even notes on the proper use of the mundane: "You don't say." and "Well, I'll be."

Aah (intransitive verb) A man with a sharp wit. Someone ought to take it away from him before he cuts himself

• Gardner expresses "Ahh" as a single word or statement, in a manner which denotes its context is clearly understood. In a time when content blabs ad nauseam, this skill of meaning more by saying less is enviable.

Well (interjection) used to express surprise or expostulation

Hmmm (exclamation) used to express reflection or hesitation

https://avatarhost.files.wordp...gardner-narrator.jpg

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
How is "ahh" an intransitive verb? Or am I misunderstanding?

An intransitive verb is one which does not allow a direct object. An example would be "The man ran." Ran is the intransitive verb which does not have a direct object. Ran becomes transitive if you change the sentence to "The man ran the course." The man is the subject and the course is the object.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God, I hated HS English.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
In Toastmasters, we call those empty word fillers. When someone speaks, one of the assignments given to someone is to count the number of word fillers as a feedback to stop that shit cold.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
In Toastmasters, we call those empty word fillers. When someone speaks, one of the assignments given to someone is to count the number of word fillers as a feedback to stop that shit cold.
Ahh. How right you are. When used by content-addled undisciplined minds of today.

The current flood of information drives incorrect assumptions, misinterpretations propelled by an inability to effectively skim or block out irrelevant data.

Step back 100 years, 200 years, before radio, television, widespread education. Jiles captures a tone of 1865 Texas. People spoke differently.

If, in the 1960s, you knew a successful lawyer who was then in their 90's, it is likely this lawyer would have been master of debate, able to destroy your argument with a single interjection, strongly enough said for you to halt in your tracks, all but beaten. He, in turn, having learned by a lawyer born in Jefferson's time. It's all delivery, timing, and patience.

Decades back I was on a job; cannot remember where or for what. I tried getting another crew to do XYZ. The barely-shaving kid running the other crew had a way of responding with only a word or two which was infuriating. He'd not react. Utter a single word and wait for me to react. The better negotiator of a deal.

A technique learned from an uncle or grandfather, maybe?

Eventually someone will read my post and understand its intent. They will have stories of a great-uncle who had the damndest phrase or word, which could stop dissent or win an argument, in its tracks. And like any good joke, the delivery would be perfect.

The audiobook I reference is free from any library's Libby / Overdrive application. Have a listen. That Grover Gardner knows what I'm talking about.

In the meantime I will practice my delivery, timing, and patience.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post