SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Obi Wan Kenobi series
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obi Wan Kenobi series Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
How are 3 passengers able to fit into a snow speeder?

Four people in a T47 is a head scratcher, isn’t it? Who knew they could hover like that too. In ESB, wouldn’t it have been easier to come at the AT-ATs from behind and blast them in the neck than to use the harpoon and tow cable to wrap their legs up?

quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Worst security ever for a very high value secret Imperial base.

And no, I don’t think this very lax security was deliberately planned by 3rd Sista.

Imperial security is like military intelligence and has been a running joke since ANH. Another running joke from ANH, "Only Imperial Storm Troopers are so precise.”

The whole 3rd sister story is just bad.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm a little challenged to understand windows in a water tunnel. Stormtroopers like the fisheys?

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Then you’d also have to talk about how the water doesn’t fill up the whole level that Obi Wan enters the fortress from. There’s only a single door between the room with the water hole and the Storm Trooper guarding that door. This means the whole level must be under pressure such that the air pressure matches the water pressure at that depth. If that’s the case then the whole cracked window under tremendous pressure doesn’t play out that way and the door would be more than sufficient to hold the water back.

Also, is there anywhere in the Star Wars universe were a blaster fight is not the only option? Even the some of the droids in the Separatist Army realized blasters were a bad idea once in a while. It was funny because the droids were somewhat thoughtless automatons. Not the Storm Troopers though. They just have to blast everything everywhere. Obi Wan and Leia are at the bottom of the fortress trying to make their way up to the hanger level. It just seems like there could be another way to trap them in place. Shut down the elevators, lock the doors to the stairs, or whatever “There they are! Blast'em!”

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
watched 1/2 of episode one and I'm out. Total cluster fuck as far I'm concerned. So many over the top scenarios. I get it that it's fantasy, but a 120 lb women flying around and kicking ass? Nope, keep it somewhat real.

She has the force, dude.

Her character is totally one-dimensional, not well written, and her acting is not great, but that is a different problem.

But for me, it is an entertainment. Nothing great, but okay.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Also, is there anywhere in the Star Wars universe were a blaster fight is not the only option? Even the some of the droids in the Separatist Army realized blasters were a bad idea once in a while. It was funny because the droids were somewhat thoughtless automatons. Not the Storm Troopers though. They just have to blast everything everywhere. Obi Wan and Leia are at the bottom of the fortress trying to make their way up to the hanger level. It just seems like there could be another way to trap them in place. Shut down the elevators, lock the doors to the stairs, or whatever “There they are! Blast'em!”

It's remarkable how little practicality exists within the universe of Star Wars. You mean to tell me you can fly in space at superluminal speeds, yet can't outfit the helmets of your stormtroopers for low light conditions? So all a guy has to do to take out a bunch of 'troopers is to...turn off the lights?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Stormtrooper uniform is completely useless. Aside from no night vision, the armor doesn’t appear to stop anything, including being punched by a woman.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

It's remarkable how little practicality exists within the universe of Star Wars. You mean to tell me you can fly in space at superluminal speeds, yet can't outfit the helmets of your stormtroopers for low light conditions? So all a guy has to do to take out a bunch of 'troopers is to...turn off the lights?

That is just B-movie-making. Logic is totally subservient to the needs of the plot. Stormtroopers can't hit a damn thing until the plot demands that the space ship be disabled just before takeoff. Then the Stormtroopers can hit just the spot at 400 yards.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
11 movies, nearly as many television series, and countless novels. It would just be nice if someone took the audience seriously.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
11 movies, nearly as many television series, and countless novels. It would just be nice if someone took the audience seriously.

100%. It would be nice to have someone write with some level of intelligence. Disney took something fascinating and so well loved and Disney’d the fuck out of it. Less than 2 weeks and I’m in ban them mode. Years past tired of their Marvel shit too. It just sucks all the big budget action films are all superho now. Man do I miss the big budgets being action films, with a decent story, writing, acting, cinematography, direction, score, and production. You know people trying to create art and make $ at the same time. Same thing for series. Everything now is turning into content for the Idiocracy crowd. Made for the low IQ less demanding audience. Everything now is a sequel, reboot, rehash, etc. Originality is dying a quick death.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Hiding a kid under a trench coat while walking our way out…sure. Roll Eyes

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And how stupid is it in ANH... Leia knows they are being tracked.

Yet she still has Han take her to the super secret rebel base. He could have dropped her off anywhere, I'm sure the rebels had safe houses all over the place.

We will see how this plays out and if they discover her droid is compromised, but again, she would have been like, Hey, Han and Luke, this is the second time Obi Wan has saved me from a super Imperial base, last time they tracked me, and I'm positive they did this time too. Drop me off somewhere, I'm out.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

100%. It would be nice to have someone write with some level of intelligence. Disney took something fascinating and so well loved and Disney’d the fuck out of it.

Nobody loves this least common denominator movie-making, except the least common denominator. But that is what a mega-corp like Disney is gonna do.

Yeah, stop seeing Disney films. Watch movies made by independents.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wow, this is bad. Getting almost to 'Book of Boba Fett' bad.

3rd sister is a bad character who can't act. Even Wong (asian guy) and Head Inquisitor are better characters. They have an entire campaign going on facebook claiming backlash about her character is all about racism. Some idiot even claimed that EVERYBODY who doesnt like her is white; ergo it HAS to be racism. . .

This latest episode is just stupid. Droid is shooting at Ben from 15 feet away, and misses. You couldn't walk out of a Walmart with a kid (VERY badly) hidden in your trenchcoat like that, but they stroll right past security on a military post on 'lockdown.' Publiv Enemy #1 is flying away at a whopping 50mph and NOBODY thinks to launch one of the DOZENS of TIE fighters in the hangar (and this is on everybody who doesnt know about the tracking device).

Last week, bad acting woman KNOWS Ben is on the cargo ship. She has the assets of the ENTIRE Empire at her disposal, yet she doesnt think to get on a Star Destroyer and intercept the freighter in deep space? Oh, and the woman shoots a mook stormtrooper, but doesnt even TRY to shoot Vader? And 10 feet of flames keep VADER and the mooks from pursuing her, given that she and Ben (who was out cold) were literally 30 feet away?

Oh, and the big scarey black ship lands, and EVERYBODY knows who they are. But, very few people got out of Dodge? Like, hey, here comes the Gestapo/Waffen SS. Let's hang out and watch. . .

They are not even trying. This is crappy saturday morning UHF station level tv. It's insulting.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
What’s ironic, is the undercover agent. She was of color, could act, hear anyone complaining about her or her character other than the bad writing and actions? Nope.

Then the Jedi in Mando. Rosario Dawson. Anyone complain about her? Nope. She’s Puerto Rican. Never heard a single word.

People complain about bad acting and stupid characters, not the color of their skin.

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Show sucks.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
What’s ironic, is the undercover agent. She was of color, could act, hear anyone complaining about her or her character other than the bad writing and actions? Nope.

Then the Jedi in Mando. Rosario Dawson. Anyone complain about her? Nope. She’s Puerto Rican. Never heard a single word.

People complain about bad acting and stupid characters, not the color of their skin.

Right. Last night, I watched “No Time to Die” for the first time and knew nothing about it except a little I had read here. The new 007 character was well written and played. There was a part of the movie that stuck out as completely unnecessary social commentary, but it was unrelated to 007 or James Bond.

On the other hand, Third Sister is a real Sesame Street level character and it has nothing to do with her gender or skin color.

It’s not a matter of 007 being a hero vs Third Sister being a villain. Grace Jones did a great job playing a villain.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
3rd sister is a bad character who can't act.

Ok, I was 100% in agreement with this line of thinking until very recently. Here's my recent revelation.

I assume her acting has to be at some sort of a high-level to have scored this role. We just have to make this assumption, unless she's a Disney exec's daughter, which is unlikely the case.

I believe she absolutely can act, but I believe she is acting in the standard: an angry disrespected black girl in a predominantly white school, who will show them all how great she really is role. Which doesn't really connect well in a universe where none of the social issues of Earth/USA apply. That said, I think to some degree that IS the role they've asked of her, right? I mean, she is the outsider of her clan, and so she's applying the nuances of characters she's probably played before. But we all can't help from seeing a scrappy kid from Detroit (or whatever) from roles we get spoon-fed constantly in the social Terra-forming Hollywood gruel that gets turned out constantly to show us all how bad we are, and how could we be as such.

That's my theory. And so I feel a little bad for her, because it's the wrong play. She should be a little more emotionless and creepy evil scary. And her interactions with the others of her clan should be disdainful and dismissive. I think it would have resolved the issue for the most part.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
The writing is so bad they relied on a failed parenting tactic when the “Inquisitor of Color” (Lucasfilm insisted I take notice) faced off with Uncle Owen:

- Angry
- Demands
- Threats
- Zero follow-through
- Frustration

“Tell me where they are or this man dies!”

*No one talks*

“Fine have it your way. Next time though, I WILL follow through on my threat!”

Roll Eyes

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9158 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like this always happens with every show that has a long and developed history.

Once again, The Drinker nails it

Some astute comments

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

That's my theory. And so I feel a little bad for her, because it's the wrong play. She should be a little more emotionless and creepy evil scary. And her interactions with the others of her clan should be disdainful and dismissive. I think it would have resolved the issue for the most part.

She just can’t act, not in this. The lines she has are terrible and she delivers them terribly. So flat.

What’s funny is Sung Kang. He is Korean-American. Some might remember him as “Han” in the Fest and Festerment franchise. He has been outstanding in this, believable, etc. Likewise Rupert Friend and then Ewan is doing the best with the trash he has been given. Indira Varma also acted well, delivered her lines well, even though the writing is trash. She is Indian/Swiss.

Reva is just acted horribly and it’s a very woke role done on purpose by Kennedy and Chow. It’s the same old shit by Disney. Luke Skywalker, we’ll make him an old tired, weak pussy. Obi Wan, it’s the same thing. At the same time, females are STRONG! Just waiting on the next new new Jedi that will restore order. It will be cast as a Black Lesbian and the circle will be complete.