Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dark Winds AMC Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else?

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 83 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
huh?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we have watched it. I am intrigued and will continue to watch. It is a little heavy-handed with the "big, bad overbearing, prejudiced against the small-time cop FBI agent" trope, but what isn't that virtually required in this storyline?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53119 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Made it about twenty minutes. Predictable and heavy handed, production values sorely lacking. How do you make Monument Valley look so pedestrian?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8323 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watched the first episode on Amazon

I am intrigued and liked it but now I have to find a way to stream AMC+

I am researching to see if I can view it through Amazon Prime or do I have to pay extra for it.

It fits to what I am used to experiencing and seeing. Not so much on the Reservation but in real life. Local PD vs the FBI attitudes.

Big Them, little us.
A few of the Army CID agents I had to work with were like that also. (The Naval agents were awesome to work with).

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I watched it. It seemed OK, so I'll give it some time.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5032 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a blend of Hillermans books. Will continue to watch it but seems hokey in a lot of places. Chee was never an FBI IIRC but was a hard core Navajo with medicine man leanings which he seems to deny so far in the movie. And the Sergeant with no Sergeant stripes? Probably the issues may be because Robert Redford is involved, Executive Producer.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xaircav
posted Hide Post
Tony Hillerman must be rolling over in his grave. I hope Ann Hillerman didn’t endorse that tripe. Worst book to movie adaptation ever.

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

Posts: 785 | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Wife and I have been watching it and we so far have enjoyed... been so long since we read all of Hillerman's books we can't really say how well it follows any of them.

Did have a shoot out in the last episode and there were a whole lot of bullets flying with out anyone getting hit.....but it is TV you know. Do wish I could figure out the back story between Leaphorn and the guy I think is his brother in law or such and why he had to shoot him in the leg.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I've watched all the episodes thus far and am tiring of it pretty quickly. I'll give it a few more episodes, but at this point, I'm just about done.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Haven't heard of this one. I like Tony's books a lot and Anne's a little less so (but I still read them). From the description on Amazon, both Leaphorn and Chee are Navajo cops, and it also includes Manuelito.

Interestingly, there's an earlier version of the same (almost) title (circa 1991) with Lou Diamond Phillips and Fred Ward. Tony is listed as one of the writers. Didn't get high reviews, mostly because it was poorly produced as far as I can tell. Phillips got good reviews, and it was mentioned he also spoke passable Navajo. I liked Phillips in Longmire - I thought he did an excellent job portraying the red man. In general, I liked the way Longmore portrayed the white man/ red man dynamics.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Season 1 is now available on AMC. You can also watch the first 2 episodes of season 2.

1 got going in the later episodes and had a good finish. Season 2 is really starting with a bang and I may have to subscribe to see the final episodes. I don't want to wait a year to see it for free.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This series was available to watch sometime earlier (the first season I guess). I think Tony Hillerman, whose books the series is based on, is very good. I read one time that his writing/story telling is so authentic that many Diné thought he was one of The People. I like the (half) Indian who plays Joe Leaphorn; he’s good in everything he does. I thought this series was awful, and I only lasted an episode or two.

Posts: 13220 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Wife and I watched the entire season last year.... Yes, it is based on Hillerman's books but the story line was not much like any of the books I'ver read. The one item in the shows that bothered me was when ever one of the 'reservation' cops drove up to a Navaho home they just got out and went up and knocked on the door. I remember in the books they would sit in their vehicle for 5 minutes or so.... before getting out... seems in that culture it is or was the thing to do.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AMC+

Fuck ‘em. Another “subscribe”. This “+” crap is getting tiresome

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to watching this series. For whatever reason I had ignored my Prime video account for about 6-months and after scrolling through my Favorites, I finally clicked and committed to watching the latest version of the Leaphorn/Chee stories. Interesting to see George RR Martin and Robert Redford tied to this production. Reading into some background, s1 is based on Listening Women and s2 is loosely based on People of Darkness

I'm not done with s1 but, it's not as tight as the PBS adaptions that featured Wes Studi and Adam Beach as the feature characters. Nevertheless it's not a horrible series, Rhain Wilson is poorly miscast, he's digging deep to portray every stereotype of a crooked, white, evangelical. A bit tiresome that EVERY single white-person has all manor of bias and racial animus Roll Eyes Did the books have these points of friction outside of the humorous cultural and attitudinal differences that get pointed-out?

Posts: 14623 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post