SIGforum
The Last of Us TV series

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/1640036794

January 07, 2023, 08:38 AM
Dzozer
The Last of Us TV series
The first version of the game was cool - the second version, not so much with its ultra woke agenda, killing off male characters to be replaced by trans characters, and the importance of being LGTBQ%*!c2 in a post apocalyptic world full of monsters.
It sure looks like this TV series is following right along with the 2nd version of the video game. Not that I'm really surprised... Roll Eyes

'Live long and prosper'
January 07, 2023, 05:01 PM
Anubismp
I loved the first game. It was literally perfect in my opinion and I was thrilled with Joels decision-making. I felt like a character made choices much like I would in that circumstance. I've finished the second game and don't like it. I hate that they tried to rewrite the first game. If a new one comes out I don't know if I'll play it or not. Yikes. I wish they would have told a similar story in the second one but separate from our characters from the first one. I was terrified when they announced bringing them back and my fears came true.

I don't think Abby in 2 is trans though I took it that shes basically destroyed herself trying to get strong enough to go after the Jackson crew. I think shes supposed to be jacked but not post-op though I could see how that would seem that way. I could be completely wrong and she could be trans but I don't remember that being a thing.

I don't care about gay characters but I want them to be people and not a walking talking billboard/message so we can definitely agree that there is woke nonsense in 2 either way.

I have read that they are basically going to take liberties with the script. Here's to hoping but I'll be watching it with shields on full for sure.
January 07, 2023, 06:14 PM
Chowser
I loved the first game and played it many times. I bought the second game and didn't get around to it then all the spoilers came out. It's still wrapped in plastic.

Not minority enough!
January 07, 2023, 11:07 PM
cslinger
The second game's biggest sin is really ..... the story. Yeah its woke and all that but honestly the writing and retconning is really what lets the game down more than anything. There are several just plain WTF moments that just don't jive or fit with the story has its been playing out.

All that said from what I have seen of the trailers for the HBO series, I think it LOOKS fantastic and the casting seems solid.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
January 07, 2023, 11:34 PM
flesheatingvirus
The second game wasn’t that bad. I’m looking forward to the show.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
January 08, 2023, 08:29 PM
PASig
So it’s basically another Walking Dead type show?

January 08, 2023, 08:55 PM
cslinger
If they follow the first game the “zombies” so to speak are really just the backdrop to an awesome story about two people who need each other in all senses of the word and how they grow into a wonderful father daughter dynamic that culminates in…well a pretty amazing emotional payoff.

I played the first game as an early dad and let me tell you it had some hard moments through that lense.

January 09, 2023, 07:38 AM
Anubismp
Yep, in any zombie thing, the zombies are always supposed to just be the environment and the focus should be on the people themselves. If properly executed, the last of us should be far better than what I understand the walking dead has devolved into.
January 09, 2023, 08:17 PM
Steve in PA
I play both. I like the second one. I don’t get wrapped up in the BS trans stuff. The first was quite good.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
January 16, 2023, 06:38 PM
Chowser
Watching first ep now.

Not minority enough!
January 16, 2023, 07:58 PM
Orguss
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Watching first ep now.

Looking forward to a review.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
January 16, 2023, 08:12 PM
KevinCW
We watched the first episode last night. I'd been looking forward to this one.

It was a hour and a half opener, and I think the subsequent ones are just under an hour.

We liked it. Minimal woke stuff (sure there will be SOME of it, but it's 2023, that's what you're gonna get) or pandering so far.

I'll keep watching.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
January 16, 2023, 08:15 PM
flesheatingvirus
I’m impressed so far! Pedro does a great Joel, and the other characters are pretty spot on to the game so far. They added a bit of introductory stuff for those who didn’t play the game, but it was well done.

I’m looking forward to the next episode.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
January 16, 2023, 09:08 PM
cslinger
Are they going to drop weekly?

January 16, 2023, 10:56 PM
KevinCW
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Are they going to drop weekly?

Yes. First episode was yesterday, and another every Sunday for the next 8 weeks. 9 episodes total for Season 1.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
January 17, 2023, 07:26 AM
Chowser
Kevin summed it up. As someone who's played the first game and the remastered first game numerous times, I'm liking the show.

Not minority enough!
January 17, 2023, 07:30 AM
Orguss
I enjoyed the first episode, as well. I never played either of the games but have watched some footage of playthrough of the first. There are four actors in the show who voiced characters in the game, but only one of them is reprising their original character.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
January 17, 2023, 07:57 AM
cslinger
Who is reprising, unless you don’t want to post due to spoilers. I knew Nolan was in it as a bit part but not as Joel obviously. Haven’t heard of the others.

January 17, 2023, 08:55 AM
Orguss
quote:
From IMDB:
Four actors from the games will star in the series adaptation: Merle Dandridge reprises her role from the video games as Marlene, and was the first to be announced. Ashley Johnson, who played Ellie Williams in both games, will play new character Anna in the series. Troy Baker, who played Joel Miller in both games, will play James, a secondary character that was in the original game that is a member of the survivor group run by David. Jeffrey Pierce who played Joel's brother, Tommy, in Part 2 and Perry in The Last of Us, in 2013

I was also surprised to learn the girl playing Sarah Miller is 19 years old. She looks like she's pre-adolescent, which fits since her character is supposed to be 12.

January 17, 2023, 10:15 AM
cslinger
19!!!! Wow.

Also I meant to say Troy Baker not Nolan North. Between Baker and North they’ve done a lot of voice work. Smile. Not nearly as much as Frank Welker though, who I am pretty sure voices me. Smile