September 20, 2022, 11:48 PM
TexasRaider
Michael Mann's sequel novel Heat 2, comes out Aug 9
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
this is the first book of three in this story,

There are going to be two more books to form a trilogy?

That's what I saw him say in an interview. That, and that he wants to make films of them all. Given he's almost 80, that's a really tall order...

September 21, 2022, 12:47 PM
at-home-daddy
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
quote:
this is the first book of three in this story,

There are going to be two more books to form a trilogy?

That's what I saw him say in an interview. That, and that he wants to make films of them all. Given he's almost 80, that's a really tall order...

Interesting -- thanks for the tidbit. I'd no idea. This first one is probably juuusst good enough to opt for the next one. Wonder if he'll go with Meg Gardiner again, or, like the James Patterson machine, go with a stable of different co-authors to do the heavy lifting.
September 22, 2022, 08:45 AM
DanH
quote:
Side note....anyone else a bit bewildered by Mann making a kind of hero out of Chris Shiherlis? In the original film, he was one of the most vile characters. Not sure if Mann thought he was reforming him a bit, with his growing into this international weapons dealer and committing to a new woman, but frankly to me....he's still just a hyper-narcissistic sociopath that revels in mindless violence and reckless self-indulgence with sex and money. Not a guy ya' really want to follow for 95 chapters.

But then, I'm wondering since this is the first book of three in this story, if Hanna's going to end up shooting Chris down, too. I hope so.

Are you sure you’re thinking about Val Kilmer’s character? I rewatched Heat recently and got none of that from Shiherlis. Sure he was an overgrown child, but he never did any of that in the movie. You sure you’re not thinking of Waingrow?

As for who co writes the next one, that’ll probably be up to HarperCollins who they want to promote.
September 22, 2022, 06:35 PM
TexasRaider
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Are you sure you’re thinking about Val Kilmer’s character? I rewatched Heat recently and got none of that from Shiherlis. Sure he was an overgrown child, but he never did any of that in the movie. You sure you’re not thinking of Waingrow?

Oh yeah, it's Chris.
In the film, he was an absolute ass to his girlfriend Charlene and was happy to kill at the drop of a hat, as seen in the big shootout where he gunned down at least two officers with all the remorse of a kid stepping on a bug. Like I said, vile.

When I saw it the first time in '95, I was very disappointed Chris didn't get the sick f**k blown out of his socks (to paraphrase another Mann film), I thought it was totally wrong he was the only one who survived. But my description of Chris really centered on who he became in the book, where he really took off as an uber-selfish, violent psycho with severe narcissistic personality disorder.

December 19, 2022, 02:11 PM
AUTiger89
I had a hankering for it after re-watching Heat lately, and am moving through it pretty quickly (for me). I'm quite enjoying it.

Edited 1/5 to add: I'm about halfway through, and it's really good. And yes, at this point, Chris is kind of an anti-hero.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AUTiger89,

Phone's ringing, Dude.
March 13, 2023, 10:14 AM
AUTiger89
Never mentioned that I finished it and enjoyed it.

By the way, it's $3.99 on Kindle today.

Phone's ringing, Dude.
February 29, 2024, 12:20 PM
hberttmank
I just finished this book and it was good, I liked it. Lots going on in it, lots of people getting killed. Looking forward to the movie if it ever gets made.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
February 29, 2024, 01:26 PM
Loswsmith
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
You sure you’re not thinking of Waingrow?

Oh yeah, it's Chris.
In the film, he was an absolute ass to his girlfriend Charlene and was happy to kill at the drop of a hat, as seen in the big shootout where he gunned down at least two officers with all the remorse of a kid stepping on a bug. Like I said, vile.

To note, I have not read the book. But in the movie, who of "the Crew" or frankly Pacino (minus the cops of course) for that matter, doesn't fit this description (substituting the Ashley Judd character for the various woman partner)?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi