May 22, 2023, 08:40 PM
amals
You got that right. Here's one of my favorites, Dublin Blues :
https://youtu.be/XQGjkBuMGAU?t=2

"I loved you from the get-go
And I'll love you till I die.
I loved you on the Spanish Steps
The day you said, "Good-bye.'" ...

Gives me chills, and a lump in my throat.

Who am I kidding? This song rips my heart out.

"And I have seen the David.
I've seen the Mona Lisa, too.
And I have heard Doc Watson
Play 'Columbus Stockade Blues.'"

Great setup, and a great close; even chuckles when he gets to "Doc Watson". Love it. And love that dropped D bass note on Guy's guitar; it just resonates so strongly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: amals,
June 09, 2023, 07:25 PM
maxdog
When I was a teenager in the early 60s, I worked in theatre in Houston. I was about 15 when Guy Clark started working back stage and in the light booth. He was part of the folk music community there. Several of the actors were folk musicians and there were impromptu performances between shows. Clark and a local actress named Kay Oslin formed a trio with another musician. They would sometimes serenade us between shows. I read that they They recorded an album but it was never issued. Kay later went to NY and Broadway as an actress in musicals

In the 90s Kay recorded several albums under the name KT Oslin.

Clark was in his early 20s then. His buddy Townes Van Zant would sometimes hang around back stage or in the yard behind the building where we would relax and chat. According to the book “Without Getting Killed or Caught”, Jerry Jeff rented a place with Guy and his then girl friend. He would sometimes hang out too. Years later he recorded Clark’s “LA Freeway”.

They were all in their early 20s and unknown, except in the folk music community. They were writing good stuff too. As a 15 year old kid interested in music, I thought they were cool.

Clark spent part of his youth in Rockport, Texas, where my parents grew up. he liked to chat with my mom about people they both knew in Rockport.

His father had been the city or county attorney there. “”The Randall Knife” was about his father.

I suggest reading “Without Getting Killed or Caught” if you haven’t already.

“Desperados Waiting for a Train” is one of my favorites. According to the book, it was about his grandma’s boyfriend in West Texas.
June 09, 2023, 07:37 PM
TMats
Thanks, maxdog, wish I could’ve been there

June 09, 2023, 08:41 PM
amals
That's neat, maxdog. I knew some good local musicians when I was younger, but none of them turned out to be Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, or Jerry Jeff Walker. That's a pretty cool life experience.