SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and the Deakonizer lens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and the Deakonizer lens Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
FTA - For those unfamiliar with a ‘Deakinizer’ lens, it’s the name given to a modified lens that Deakins specially created to film the 2007 film Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. This specialized lens was used to evoke an old-timey feel to the footage and gave the scenes a dreamy, tilt-shift-like effect.

The article is actually about DIY Deakonizer lenses but interesting info on how this came to be.

Video: Two clever DIY methods to create your own 'Deakinizer' lens

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8367 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Such a good film.

Cool lens, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Like Barry Lyndon, always fascinating when a director or cinematographer thinks outside the box and creates their own shit via camera and lens to get the shot they want.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of my two least favorite westerns. The other was Peckinpah's, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. The latter was the only western I ever walked out on. Both were like watching grass grow.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post