SIGforum
"Well I'm On The Downeaster Alexa"...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/1100051344

June 15, 2018, 07:05 PM
mbinky
"Well I'm On The Downeaster Alexa"...
This is one of my favorite songs that reminds me of being up north. I spent many summers out in Cape Cod bay with this song. Summer trips to the vinyard? In my youth...

June 15, 2018, 07:11 PM
Gustofer
One of the very few good songs Billy Joel released after 1977.

I still think he should have retired after The Stranger.

June 15, 2018, 10:09 PM
Kevbo
And I’m cruising through block island sound....

Hearing him tell the story behind the song live was great.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?
June 16, 2018, 12:19 AM
mbinky
I went to three concerts in my lifetime and they were all Billy Joel.

All in Boston, River of Dreams was my favorite.

Ahh to be young..
June 16, 2018, 12:38 AM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
One of the very few good songs Billy Joel released after 1977.

I still think he should have retired after The Stranger.

Huh?

Plenty of good songs from the guy after 1977!

June 16, 2018, 04:00 AM
CQB60
While the song is about a fictional person, it decries the plight of the Long Island Baymen (known locally as Bubbies). The Baymen represent a dying breed of people who, like small farmers, work with the environment to provide for their families, men and women forced out of their livelihoods by industrial "factory" overfishing destroying the traditional fishing grounds as well as the creep of urban society and government regulation.

June 16, 2018, 06:18 AM
Kevbo
What he said in concert is he was inspired to finally write the song after a fisherman that, for years, would leave him various fresh seafood at the end of his dock, was killed at sea. The boat is of course named for his daughter. The Downeaster being the type of ship commonly known for the shape of its hull, and Alexa being his daughter.

I’ve seen him in concert many times and heard him tell that story before this song

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
While the song is about a fictional person, it decries the plight of the Long Island Baymen (known locally as Bubbies). The Baymen represent a dying breed of people who, like small farmers, work with the environment to provide for their families, men and women forced out of their livelihoods by industrial "factory" overfishing destroying the traditional fishing grounds as well as the creep of urban society and government regulation.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?
June 16, 2018, 08:56 AM
fvyellowbird
I was fishing out of Chatham, on the Cape in the late '70s and oddly enough have never heard this song before. Those were some boom years on the Cape, scllops an lobster were our cash crops. Sadly, not so much anymore. Lots of memories, many fond, some not so much. Thanks!

Hell, is other people! J-P S
June 16, 2018, 12:44 PM
ss9961
My sister in law was his full time house keeper in Amagansett for a few years. Upon being hired, the cook advised her to whistle or sing while in the kitchen in the early morning, or else the Piano man might walk in naked.
June 16, 2018, 01:52 PM
Nickelsig229
I love this song.

I have some sort of weird connection to it being from ct on the sound and an avid fisherman.

More then a few times, I've had this song on repeat for hours.

First In Last Out
June 16, 2018, 09:48 PM
jigray3
I've always loved the song, but first time I've ever seen the video.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
June 16, 2018, 10:19 PM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I've always loved the song, but first time I've ever seen the video.

Same here. Great song...thanks for sharing the video!