SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 590
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 590 Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Found a 590 in-stock, in-store, and I brought it home.

Been debating between a Rem 870 and a Mossberg 590, but they are very difficult to find.

I have personal preferences that I like on the 590, over the 870. Lift gate, safety placement, and who wouldn't love a standard bayonet lug. I think both are available in 9+1 with 2.75" shells.

Only had one range outing, and I was surprised at how light the recoil felt. Probably take it out on Monday, try some slugs.

I've only added a 6rd side saddle, and a light, but I love this thing. I have a few bayonets, so of course I had to attach it for photo ops, and a video shoot.

Any one else feel the love for a 590?

Just got it, ran some

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
The only thing keeping me from adding a 590 to the house is a decent selection of 870s already.

That said, if I could have my parkerized early 90's 590military complete with heat shield, bayonet lug, ghost rings and speedfeed stock back, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. One of those I wish I never let go.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congrats on finding one. I wanted one but none were to be found locally so I ended up settling for a Talo Watchdog II Mossberg 500 that was in stock. This back in 2010.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine and it's my home defense weapon.
I went looking for a Beretta 1301 and couldn't find one. Stumbled on this and it's excellent.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I too prefer the 590 to the 870, though I think the 870 looks a little better.

I had a 590a1 and it was a beast but too heavy for my liking, though that weight sure didn’t help tame the recoil. Currently I have a 590 shockwave that I got stamped and put a MagPul stock on. It’s about the perfect HD shotgun for me. Congrats on your purchase! I think everyone should own a good shotgun and you chose arguably the best one there is.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 500 is also a great shotty. Especially in a pistol grip fashion Wink
Congrats AKS.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats on that 590! An instructor loaned one to me to use at a 3-gun clinic a few years back and I really liked it. I later owned one of my own but traded it away - and probably shouldn’t have haha…

I like 870s as well and, as noted by another member, find them a little more aesthetically-pleasing. The 590s I’ve been around just seemed to handle better for me. I have pondered the likes of an 870 worked-over by the likes of Wilson Combat, et. al.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Love my 20” 590A1. Installed a Magpul stock that was a huge improvement, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
When Remington went bankrupt, the supply of factory-new parts trickled, then dried up. That bothered me a bit, more for "work" guns than my own (example: no new trigger plates to be found, so we ended up cannibalizing more-beat-up guns to make the less-beat-up ones work.)

Mossberg hasn't had this problem.

I have a fairly "stock" 590A1 that'll give my favorite 870P a run for the money. Different controls to learn, but built like a brick house.

I like them both, but these days am leaning towards the 590 for long-term parts availability.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned many 870s and a couple of 500 series Mossbergs. Both are great shotguns. But I prefer the Benelli SuperNova Tactical. The magazine cutoff system makes it a better gun, IMHO.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a 590a1 last weekend after looking for one for quite some time. It is a beast, but I have some affection for them from time spent in the Marine Corps. The ghost ring sights work well for me, and I bought the latest USMC issue bayonet for it, although at 62 years old I doubt I will ever have to fix bayonets! Just happy I found one.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankeryanker:
I bought the latest USMC issue bayonet for it, although at 62 years old I doubt I will ever have to fix bayonets! Just happy I found one.

Never, ever remove perfectly good tools from your inventory. Because the only thing that says "I hate you" more than 9 pellets of 00-buckshot, high-center-mass, is the same 9 pellets followed up with sharpened carbon steel.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankeryanker:
I just got a 590a1 last weekend after looking for one for quite some time. It is a beast, but I have some affection for them from time spent in the Marine Corps. The ghost ring sights work well for me, and I bought the latest USMC issue bayonet for it, although at 62 years old I doubt I will ever have to fix bayonets! Just happy I found one.

Man that’s a badass blade too. I bought a Colt M16A4 a year or so ago and wanted a Bayonet to go with it and got that same one. It is definitely a beast!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I did an exaustive search on this subject on here about 2 years ago.. Pulled the trigger (pun intended lol) on a SBS 590A1, rock solid and added , hi viz follower, Surefire mounted foreend light, side saddle, vikers sling, shortened stock and ghost rings, it is a BEAST, for me, having owned and used both at work over the years (LEO) , i like the 590 for its ease of controls and safety , it comes down to training and preference , but for an old Jarhead likeme the 590 was an easy choice.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Already had an 870 Police Magnum sbs, but couldn’t resist the M590a1 sbs with ghost rings and speed feed stock, display model. A bit of a hefty shotty but handles and shoots great.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine. 9 in the tube, 6 in the sidesaddle, 4 more in the Speedfeed stock

Posts: 2232 | Location: GA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
^

I've been looking for one for a while, they are extremely hard to find right now. I found two, in stock. I wish I bought both, I paid around $500 out the door. They go for $750 where I live, if you can even find one. I have the same side saddle, and I like the speed stock. Is it identical in size to the OEM stock? Stock one fits me perfectly, and my natural point of aim is also spot one. I attached a light to the left of the rear sight, so when it's dark, it casts a shadow of the front sight. It's not spot on, but the shadow is close enough to do some serious damage, very quickly.

After watching too many comparisons to count, I'm glad I went with the 590, over the 870. I don't think I would be as happy with the 870.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang thread. Never should have opened it.

I placed an order for a 590A1 Retrograde this morning.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Dang thread. Never should have opened it.

I placed an order for a 590A1 Retrograde this morning.

I picked up the 590A1 this morning. I haven’t shot it yet but discovered that the safety is super hard to get off safe. Anyone else experience this and know the remedy?

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I don't think mine was too bad out of the box. I would put a drop of oil on it and work it a bit. . There should be some resistance.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post