SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mrgunsgear video: Leaked email - ATF planning seizure of forced-reset triggers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mrgunsgear video: Leaked email - ATF planning seizure of forced-reset triggers Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
^ If nothing else, at least they'll have a search warrant when they come back.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
"Oh, that thing?
I bought it as a gag but I threw it away. Now get off my property and go fuck yourself"
Easy peasy.

...and then you'd sure as hell better not still have said item.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Oh, that thing?
I bought it as a gag but I threw it away. Now get off my property and go fuck yourself"
Easy peasy.

Lying to a federal agent is not going to end well.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:
"Oh, that thing?
Easy peasy.

Can’t lie to them if you don’t talk to them. There’s no law that requires you to engage with them.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
"Oh, that thing?
Easy peasy.

But is it legal to tell them to go fu## themselves ??

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
quote:
quote:
"Oh, that thing?
Easy peasy.

But is it legal to tell them to go fu## themselves ??

Why wouldn't it be? They gonna write you a disorderly cite?

Posts: 3490 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Sir, I am going to invoke my 5th Amendment right at this time and not answer any questions. Thank you and goodbye".

Kill em' with kindness.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
"Oh, that thing?
Easy peasy.

A. Am I lying? Prove it.
B. If they are coming into my home by force to try to take my property it isn't going to end well in any case for anyone.
C. I don't respect their au-thor-eh-tah!

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
"Oh, that thing?
Easy peasy.

A. Am I lying? Prove it.
B. If they are coming into my home by force to try to take my property it isn't going to end well in any case for anyone.
C. I don't respect their au-thor-eh-tah!

I get it Ryan but I won't start anything. That's kinda what they want.
Said object, whatever it may be, will probably be removed off my premises in the event they do come back with a warrant.
Remember, a valid search warrant is legal.
I doubt they would come back in force unless directly threatened.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"Legal" is such a relative and almost meaningless term to me now.
Legal seems to be whatever our overlords want it to be on any particular day.
Of course I say a lot tongue in cheek and will not start shit but my sentiment is that these entities are in no way different than the ones coming for the guns in 1930's Germany.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Legal" is such a relative and almost meaningless term to me now.
Legal seems to be whatever our overlords want it to be on any particular day.
Of course I say a lot tongue in cheek and will not start shit but my sentiment is that these entities are in no way different than the ones coming for the guns in 1930's Germany.

You're absolutely right and I feel the same way.
"Legal" is one thing and "Overreach" is another. The 2 get blurry at times as some tend to make up rules(didn't say laws) on the fly and expect that an item is good one day and not good the next.
We've seen that with bump stocks, triggers and more.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I am going to invoke my 5th Amendment right at this time and not answer any questions.

I believe that’s a much better response than indulging in and expressing our outrage and frustrations in a hostile or profane manner.

A question, though, for the lawyers:
As I understood it, at one time choosing to exercise one’s right to remain silent when questioned by law enforcement agents could not be challenged or even referred to in a criminal trial. Some time ago, however, I read of a case in which a police officer was being questioned in reference to a criminal allegation, and she limited her refusal to discuss the matter to, “I don’t want to say anything,” (or words to that effect). What she did not do was state that she was exercising her Fifth Amendment right to remain silent.

At trial her refusal to answer questions was raised by the prosecution, and when the defense objected, the judge ruled that because she hadn’t affirmatively stated that she was exercising her Fifth Amendment rights, her silence/refusal to answer questions could be introduced.

That struck me as an outrageous limiting of one’s right to remain silent (what if someone said, “I’m exercising my 75th Amendment right to remain silent”?). I don’t know how the matter may have been decided on appeal, if at all, but it has stuck with me. Since that ruling I have resolved to remember it if I were ever in a situation in which it was best to not speak to law enforcement agents. Answering questions at one’s door isn’t the same as being formally questioned in connection with a criminal allegation, but it’s close enough for my concerns.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The term “Miranda Rights” comes from a historic 1966 U.S. Supreme Court case called Miranda v. Arizona. The court held that if the police want to question (interrogate) a person in police custody, they must tell them of the Fifth Amendment protection against self-incriminating statements and their right to an attorney.Aug 12, 2020

Sigfreund, I think this would apply to what you're talking about.
At a front door setting, I would do the same as it would be local LE, State or Federal. Basically someone who works for a LE agency.
If it didn't work, and I think it would but I'm not a lawyer, then I would invoke that right at the time of questioning.
I've seen videos of people just saying, "I'm not talking to you" and it's not the same as invoking the 5th Amendment.

Sorry for the thread drift Para.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
New ruling out of Texas...

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post