SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Friday Fun - 300 Rounds through new TacSol X-Ring VR with Magpul Stock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friday Fun - 300 Rounds through new TacSol X-Ring VR with Magpul Stock Login/Join 
posted
V-Tail's thread on 22LR Pistols fired up my search (again) for a TacSol X-Ring rifle. After I figured out what I was doing wrong with the Dealer Search, I found out Frogbones had the one I wanted in stock and they are just an hr away from me in Melbourne.

This is my first 10/22 type rifle, so when I got home I had to watch a video from TacSol's site to learn how to take the rifle apart to do a good clean & lube prior to going to the range. Don't really know if I needed to clean anything - there seemed to be no residue whatsoever from the mfg process.

After a few failed attempts at re-assembly (one attempt resulted in a guide rod & spring launching into the hood of my car...got to touch up that paint chip today, the next attempt resulted in a dead trigger) I finally got it ready to go out to the range.

My Son shot most of the 300 rounds. He took the lead in dialing in the Venom 6 MOA RDS. He didn't listen to me very well on the necessary adjustments so ended up chasing the dot moving it up & down to get the POI where he wanted it at 25 yrds - but eventually we settled down and had a blast putting holes in paper plates. No failures in the 300 rounds and it is an extremely soft shooter - even softer than my Sig 522, which due to being such a heavy beast is very user friendly with it's recoil and muzzle movement

We are going to take it apart again today to see how 300 rounds impacted the first cleaning & lubrication - I'm hoping for success at the first attempt at reassembly, and I'm backing all the cars out of the garage.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kx3Y48]

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. Cool

I've been wanting to do a custom build KIDD 'Tack Driver' for a few years now, but never seem to get around to it. One of these days...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's a fine looking plinker.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a Fraklin Armory Binary trigger in it and you will increase the fun factor a lot!

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
Purdy! I absolutely love my X-Ring. It gets shot more than anything else I own. You should throw a can on there and really up the fun factor. Congrats on a great rifle

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I don't have it anymore, but I built a 10/22 years ago with an X-Ring receiver and a Kidd barrel. The X-Ring is a really nice receiver.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not religiously break it down for cleaning that often. Lock back the bolt and clean what you can reach. If it stops function or you get to 1500 shots, then a disassembly and clean is reasonable. The more you take a precision gun apart, the less accurate it will be over time. Also a rifle of that price and quality screams for a better optic. To take a thousand dollar rifle and put low price red dot on it seems folly.
I get wanting a nice rifle. But for a red dot plinker you would be just as well served with a stock Ruger.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. Optic is a big of a pig for that gun though. If all you are doing is 25 yards though I bet it makes nice little clover leafs or better. I would put some magnification on there with a real scope. And if I were you, I would sight it in and let my son shoot it after that was done. Lol

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

I agree about the optic being a bit mismatched to the rifle - but it was what I had on hand and could get set up quickly.

My Son's going to be using it for the University's Action Shooting Sports club - so the RDS is apparently more appropriate than a good scope.

Although I really want to someday put a good optic on and finally get around to going to an Appleseed course.

Now about that Binary Trigger...wow, I did not know they exist. Oddly enough - FL is on the list of states they can't ship to.

Finally - thanks on the cleaning advice captain127, that makes a lot of sense and we pretty much aligned with my thinking after that first attempt to take it apart!

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post