SIGforum
A unique one- SIG Safari rifle

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9830055284

June 08, 2021, 02:36 PM
dan-o
A unique one- SIG Safari rifle
I haven't been around much lately, so I thought I'd share my newest SIG. It's an SHR 970 in 9.3x62 (pictured at bottom next to a 30-06). It's the only one I've ever found. I'm not even sure they were imported to the US in that caliber. It appears to have a second serial number on the barrel which doesn't match the receiver.

I've had one of these in .270 for years, and was very excited to find this one. It's very accurate and my second hand load printed exactly one inch at 100. I stopped load development after that. I can't see needing much better in a large game rifle.

Sorry my photography skills are a bit lacking. I'm really not doing the rifle justice.

June 08, 2021, 03:30 PM
P250UA5
Very nice.
I wanted an SHR for a while, before picking up a Tikka.
A SHR in 270 would be a great addition for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.
June 08, 2021, 07:15 PM
djpaintles
9,3x62 is a great round. In English think of it as a 36 Whelen Improved, 36 cal bullet in a 30-06 case with the shoulder moved forwards. With proper handholds you can shoot 250gr bullets to 2600fps or so. I suggest that you look back into some of John Barsness old articles on the round. He lists some load that they pressure tested to stay within modern pressure limits and reached that performance levels. They also pressure tested some great loads with the 286 bullets.

9,3x62 is one of the few rounds that you can quite easily exceed factory ballistics by reloading and still stay under normal pressure limits. Factory loads are loaded to very low pressure levels to accommodate some of the very old turn of the century loads. The round was designed to be a practical African round that German settlers could chamber their std length Mausers for. It will handle just about any African game with the 286gr bullets. One of mine has 13 or so head of African game taken including Cape buffalo by it's original owner. He used 250gr Barnes X bullets IIRC.

Nice find on the extra SHR-970 rifle extra barrel. They sold those in Germany for about 3 times what they were here. I'd keep that one!

..............DJ

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
June 08, 2021, 09:10 PM
Black92LX
Great find!
The SHR is an absolutely superb rifle. I have one in .270.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
June 10, 2021, 07:50 AM
dewhorse
Awesome rifle in a great round....kinda like a 375 H&H "lite". Really regret selling my CZ in that caliber.

Is it CRF (controlled round feed) like a classic mauser?
June 11, 2021, 03:22 PM
Blaque Jacque Shellaque
Weren't some of those pressures kept down to allow for the effects of high African temperatures?

Nice rifle BTW.
June 13, 2021, 09:26 PM
dan-o
No, it's not CRF. All the SHRs, are push feeds.
June 25, 2021, 05:20 PM
Mutiny
Awesome rifle. Mine is in 300WM.
June 29, 2021, 07:10 PM
newmexican
That’s cool. I’ve never seen one of those before.