SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Ring recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Ring recommendations Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I’ve got a 3-9X40MM scope that I want to put on a picatinny rail. Got any recommendations. I’ve never mounted a scope before so I figured I should ask before buying something that won’t fit the objective end or won’t let me close the lens covers.

Posts: 45578 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
May I ask the type of gun? An AR is different than the average bolt action.

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
It’s for my 20” AR-15.

Posts: 45578 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
What's the tube diameter?

Posts: 7650 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have various types, but for average use Warne or Burris usually are where I start looking. With an AR, the scope usually needs to be much higher than a bolt gun.

https://warnescopemounts.com/scope-rings/

This Warne decision tool may help. Not all manufacturers will have the same height under a given description, ‘ultra-high’ or whatever.

I’d guess 1” tube.

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Burris Zee Signature for the 4-20x50 on my Tikka

IIRC NikonUser recommended them at the time

Don't recall if mine are Weaver or Pic rail

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
What's the tube diameter?
1”.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
… With an AR, the scope usually needs to be much higher than a bolt gun. …
Yeah, that’s why I ask. I know you want it as low as possible but I’d imagine the AR handguard gets in the way of the objective end of the scope if it’s too low.

I guess I’m asking how to determine the height I want and then choose the rings according to that decision.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1543 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
https://www.brownells.com/opti...mount/?sku=100034126

LEUPOLD
1" Mark AR IMS Scope Mount - $72.99

Posts: 7650 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Those look like what I need. Mounting the scope forward a little to get it where it needs to be. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
It’s for my 20” AR-15.

I used a cantilever mount on both 5.56 & .308.
Rings just couldn’t get the scope where I wanted it without using part of the rail on the handguard which I did not want to do.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3891 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Have hou purchased something yet?

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Have you purchased something yet?

No, but I think I’m going to get this one: https://warnescopemounts.com/v...ece-msr-mount-matte/ or the LEUPOLD that pbslinger posted.

posted Hide Post
Gents,

Badger Ordnance for my tactical stuff and Talley Rings/mounts for hunting rifles...

Wes

Posts: 2459 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I got the Warne. It’s a little higher and it’s natural to look through the scope. Just raising the rifle to my cheek the scope is in view, no futzing around to try to see through it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I got the Warne.

Good choice. My Warne was functioned well.

Posts: 8033 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post