SIGforum
compromises in extreme reliability for the sake of performance under most conditions

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9800082884

December 29, 2022, 05:01 PM
sigfreund
compromises in extreme reliability for the sake of performance under most conditions
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I pulled it out in the dark with an air temp of 3 degrees. The bolt did not freeze but was sluggish.

Good report. Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 29, 2022, 05:07 PM
FedDC
I’ve used a lot of the Lucas Heavy Duty Lube. I was working with an agency that bought a ton of it and was running it on ARs, Glocks, ect.

It is thick and it absolutely turns to paste when mixed with carbon. It made ARs sluggish in a day.

It’s not a bad product, but I can get better performance from WD40…and I don’t even like WD40.

Solvent content keeps crud soft and parts moving.

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to hunt insurgents and give him a fish, you can win a war with enough fish.
December 29, 2022, 05:29 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by FedDC:
It is thick and it absolutely turns to paste when mixed with carbon. It made ARs sluggish in a day.

Hmm .... Thanks for that. I may have to experiment and possibly reconsider my use of the product. You are referring to the "Extreme Duty" gun oil, and not the grease—yes?

Or is it the Heavy Duty Oil?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 29, 2022, 06:36 PM
FedDC
Yes, the oil.

It’s a quality product for certain applications, but it’s thick and intolerant of carbon buildup.

In an AR, it had the consistency of toothpaste after 500 rounds or so.

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to hunt insurgents and give him a fish, you can win a war with enough fish.
December 29, 2022, 06:53 PM
sigfreund
Okay, thanks for confirming.

6.4/93.6

— Plato
December 29, 2022, 07:54 PM
Oat_Action_Man
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I had reason to find this thread again, and because I don't see a link to the original video that it referenced, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbjpIP5ShH0

I believe it's worth bringing up again because it is, after all, winter again. Smile

Since you bumped this thread, Garand Thumb did a pt. 2 to the "freezing rifle" test just last week:

https://youtu.be/3Ujo2ZoB4cg

He makes it very clear that the protocol is absurd, but they're doing it nonetheless.

No real surprises aside from a few (Springfield Hellion performing better frozen than it often does unfrozen, apparently).

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
December 30, 2022, 12:29 AM
YooperSigs
Granite Guy:
During alerts we would get "augmentees" (deadbeats from all the other squadrons) to supposedly help us man posts usually left unmanned during normal ops.
They were sloppy about leaving their magazines unattended.
Free ammo for me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
December 30, 2022, 01:12 AM
old rugged cross
If my AR got super wet or submerged I would wipe it down best I could and spray it through out with CLP. It should continue to bang away Big Grin

Ice, more or less the same. Knock it off, wipe it off and CLP it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
December 30, 2022, 11:53 AM
jljones
Interesting thought about Lucas. But, I’ll offer a caveat.

The “tooth paste” claims are a bit over the top without a little context. And it folds nicely into my one of cold weather “test”. The 6920 in question was purchased in the mid-1990s and was my first “duty” AR15. I’m talking back in the time when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and the MP5 was king. I took at least a class with EAG and a trip to Midsouth with it. Ten or so years ago, a buddy needed an off duty AR so I loaned it to him. He must have shot it quite a bit, because it was filthy when it came home all these years later. In checking with him, it was lubed with both Lucas red, and blue.

Because it was filthy and needed a detail cleaning, I chose it to set outside. And while sluggish, it still worked as advertised with fresh lube and temps that close to zero. “Tooth paste” and all.

Now in recent times, I’ve attended high round count courses (one this summer that was 2300 rounds in five days) and didn’t clean the gun all week. The rifle was my current S&W that I’m shooting the most. It just got fresh lube each morning. And the sludge wiped off the bolt, bolt carrier, and inside the upper with ease. I only had two malfunctions with the rifle and they were dead primers.

And I get the same results shooting suppressed.

I’m fully against tribalism in product loyalty. When I run out of Lucas, I’ll buy whatever is the cheapest most likely. But, I will concede that if your intention is to treat your AR like farm equipment, Lucas isn’t for you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

December 30, 2022, 12:13 PM
sigfreund
Thank you for that follow up report; very useful.

6.4/93.6

— Plato
January 14, 2023, 09:27 AM
KSGM
I watched that part two video this morning. Very similar outcome to the part one, that inspired the thread: The KAC choked in part one, and the mighty MCX Spear fell short in part two. As previously discussed, these extreme tests are almost meaningless, though they do illustrate my initial thought, stated in the OP. Guns made in such a way that they perform on a high level within a reasonable range of conditions will likely have problems when presented with extreme conditions.