SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington TAC-14 & Mossberg Shockwave accessories, modifications, & customization.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington TAC-14 & Mossberg Shockwave accessories, modifications, & customization. Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted
Let's not make this a thread about which manufacturer makes a better firearm.
The Shockwave & TAC-14 both fill a pleasantly unexpected gap in Federal firearms law.
You can buy whichever brand you prefer, or neither, and possibly both.

Me personally, I don't do firearms with aluminum receivers. So I bought the TAC-14.

I picked it up yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality. With all of the internet discussing Remington build quality & QC concerns, there appears to be nothing wrong on this TAC-14.
Here are a few photos.

TAC_14 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

TAC_14b by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

TAC_14a by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

The TAC-14 doesn't have a fore-end strap. I believe I will get one ordered. I would like to keep all of my fingers.

I found this case online. Anybody have one and have personal experience with it?
https://www.peakcase.com/peakc...wave-tac14-case.html
I've thought up several phrases to get engraved on the brass ID plate.

Let's see, some way to carry the TAC-14. I found this online. Anybody have one and some personal experience?
https://www.beezcombatsystems....rel-Scabbard_c20.htm
Both made from 1000 denier cordura, both choices have significantly heavier duty material than other makers choices.
And I'm not really sure the about the differences between the two models. Anybody know the differences?

I haven't shot it yet, and I will likely wait until I source a fore-end strap.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have both, but thus far I’ve only shot the Shockwave. If you want to shoot yours, you’re safe to do so without the front strap- just be deliberate about it and don’t go crazy. I certainly think the strap is worthwhile, but you’re not going to lose any fingers if your hand slips off the grip after the shot. And it’s a pump, so there won’t be another shell in the chamber until you put it there. My response would be different if it were the semi-auto version.

As for the violin case, I don’t really see the point in having that at home, and you may not be able to carry that in public. At least in Louisiana we have Concealed Handgun Permits, not concealed firearm permits. And the same loophole that makes these guns legal also makes them NOT a handgun.

I have shot mine a few times, and frankly don’t know what to do with it. I think it would have some practical use with a mounted light and laser, so it could be shot accurately without putting it in front of my face, which I am hesitant to do. Best use is probably as a platform for a short barrel shotgun, but then you need to pay the man.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The violin case...
I need some type of a case so I can throw the TAC-14 into a vehicle and head off to the range.
Or to my rural property.
They require a rather specific sized case. And I have nothing applicable now.
I have handgun cases, and long gun cases. Nothing in between.
The violin case isn't that much more money than something plain/generic.
Anyway, I had a good laugh looking at the violin case, and thinking about the Great Depression era Chicago Typewriters. I wasn't planning walking about in downtown with it.

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
I have a Shockwave in 20ga, easy to shoot and #3 buck is effective. In KY we can legally conceal any weapon we can legally buy, including brass knuckles and switchblades. I'm currently considering a Hoyt takedown rifle case for transporting into the city when I go. Louisville has been somewhat riotous. I have to bring the gun tomorrow to see if it fits, though.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I have a Peak's "violin" case for my TAC 13 and am very pleased with it.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have had Mossberg's since I was 11 years old so that was easy for me and the +1 more capacity was deal breaker. I put an Ergo grip stock adapter on mine, added Ergo grip, standard buffer tube and a SBA3 stock err i mean brace. Added a fiber optic front sight, one that clips on. Added GGG front sling attachment and used the SBA3 QD attachment for the rear for the sling. Added one of the velcro +5 placards can't remember brand. I have meant to order one of the Streamlight TL rackers with 1000 lumens but has been out of stock last I checked.

I really like this gun.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I must say my Shockwave Night Stick is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I have a big dumb grin on my face the whole time.

I think the wood is sexy too.

Not my photo:

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After seeing David’s Shockwave above a coupe of months back I purchased a blade just like his for my 20Ga Shockwave and I LOVE this weapon So much better since attaching this blade unit vs. the birdcage rear grip......

Thanks again David for your assistance in understanding what to order....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I have a Shockwave in 20ga, easy to shoot and #3 buck is effective. In KY we can legally conceal any weapon we can legally buy, including brass knuckles and switchblades. I'm currently considering a Hoyt takedown rifle case for transporting into the city when I go. Louisville has been somewhat riotous. I have to bring the gun tomorrow to see if it fits, though.

Thanks for the idea, I have a similar case by Uncle mikes and the 20ga fits well.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just upgraded my Mossberg Shockwave with a Mesa Tactical buffer tube adapter, Magpul K grip, and SBA3. Now it's actually useful.

Might try an SBA4 since they are sturdier than the A3 and don't buckle.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I was up at my rural property this weekend doing projects. Of course, The TAC-14 came along!
I fired a box of light target loads and some 00 buckshot. (not the managed recoil)
I still have the grin on my face.
I'm figuring out flashlights/lasers and mounting options now.

NRA Instructor

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That's what my Shockwave is mostly used for, grinning, watching other people grinning while they shoot it.

I have a Voo-Doo Tactical scabbard that I'd bought for something else, that I keep it in.

I can't see adding anything to it because it would ruin the flat compactness of it, plus as I said, mostly I let other people shoot it.
It occasionally comes along on a trip where a handgun isn't a good idea legal wise.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
\
I'm figuring out flashlights/lasers and mounting options now.

This is what you seek here

David W.

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
David W,
That link is not working.
I assume it's for the TL Racker. Replacement fore-end with built in light.
That's a light only, no laser.

What about these two items?

Cantilever mount. https://www.mountsplus.com/cdm...lok-light-mount.html

Streamlight TLR 8 G with side mounted switches. https://www.streamlight.com/pr...detail/index/tlr-8-g

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
Lasersaddle - Made by Crimson Trace - I just mounted this on my Shockwave and sighted it in...This thing is very slimline and is very bright - and after 25 rounds it is still holding zero perfectly...I shot 25 rounds of bird shot then loaded and shot 5 slugs at a paper target at 10 yards.....Those five shots made one ragged hole....

Might want to look at this easy to mount and super easy to use laser sight system....Best upgrade I have made except for the bladed stock....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I looked at those Crimson Trace Laser Saddle's. Laser only.
The Streamlight TL Racker is light only. (replaces the fore-arm)
I would like a light and a laser.
Does anyone have experience with the cantilever mount I linked above? Or something similar?
I see GG&G also makes a cantilever mount, it looks similar to the one above. (but not TAC-14 specific fitment)
Is there any reason I shouldn't take advantage of the M-LOK mounting points on the factory installed fore-arm?

NRA Instructor

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
David W,
That link is not working.
I assume it's for the TL Racker. Replacement fore-end with built in light.
That's a light only, no laser.

Yes, it is for the light only, sorry link didn't work. HERE

David W.