SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Seeking a wrist ballistics data holder.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking a wrist ballistics data holder. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m seeking a way of having ballistics dope readily available by means of a wrist attachment* holder of some sort. So that it can be used with everything from shirtsleeves to a heavy coat I want one with some sort of strap attachment rather than elastic bands that must be stretched to fit. Although not as necessary I’d also prefer a window that’s always visible and not hidden under a flap that must be opened.

There are countless varieties on the market including some advertised for athletic coaches, but I’d be interested in specific recommendations.

Thanks for all replies.

* There are numerous data holders that attach directly to the rifle or scope, but they are not what I’m currently looking for.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I saw that one on the Short Action Precision site. Good to know you recommend it.

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://awsin.com/50148-assault-team-leader-band/
Currently out of stock. Bands are elastic, but adjustable.

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/tacticalplaybook.aspx
Probably overkill.

Posts: 9967 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amateur tip on the arm band!

As a right handed shooter I have it on my inside right forearm. My thought is why disrupt my support hand if on a bag. Moving my right hand anyway to rack the bolt, change elevation turret. Look at it while I have my hand on the turret, not before. Doesn't sound like much, but all these little things/time add up when shooting on a clock. YMMV.

How do you become a pro shooter? Buy a jersey, put your name on it!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience, as I am of the era of 100mph tape on the stock of the gun, but the links above look good.

Then there's Quaterback wrist bands.
The elastic will stretch over a wrist, sweaters, and jackets.

https://plumbaroakland.com/bes...206%20more%20rows%20

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip about positioning. Certainly makes sense.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well. I can’t tell much about how the straps of the AWS work and how long they can be adjusted to. That’s unfortunately common with many Internet descriptions (or lack thereof). The Tactical Tailor appears very similar to the Sandpiper of California holder I have and is good if it’s necessary to have a lot of information at hand; I even have a small red LED light attached to it. The TT holder is actually larger than the SOC and more than I need or would find convenient to use for my current purposes.

Although the SOC holder has elastic straps secured by Velcro, they are difficult to use with a heavy coat because they're not really long enough. That's why I'm leery of any fully elastic system. If they hold securely with a light shirt, they would be difficult to impossible with the type of coats I use for shooting in the winter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

posted Hide Post
You may be getting two...

One that's elastic for bare forearm/light shirt.

Another with adjustable straps or a second one with the elastic band for sweater/thick sweatshirts/jackets.

Quick question- are you moving and shooting? Shooting from different positions?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Quick question- are you moving and shooting? Shooting from different positions?

Shooting from stationary positions, not running from one location to another on the clock.

One drill with .22 rimfire rifle uses a number of small steel targets positioned at random out to 100 yards or so. I use a calibrated reticle and the target’s angular size to determine the range then use the dope card to adjust the sight. I also shoot a course of my design with centerfire rifles at different ranges.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Make your own?

Kinkos, UPS store, OfficeMax...

Laminate your cards, cut slits at the top and bottom, rubber bands or Velcro straps.

Either DIY or have them double up on the laminate at the top and bottom.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make your own?

Hmmm ....
That's a thought. Would be easier to experiment with if the closest such stores weren't an hour or more drive away. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I've used the strap wrist holder with short sleeve shirts, long sleeve, mulitple layers/winter coat.... no problems. The advantage of the adjustable straps over elastic.
As always best to try a few options and pick the one that works for you. Obvousily take this with a grain of salt as I don't have a jersey with my name on it, 20 confirmed kills or a Youtube channel Big Grin I've spent too much time on public ranges lately!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Make your own?

Hmmm ....
That's a thought. Would be easier to experiment with if the closest such stores weren't an hour or more drive away. Smile

Hour or more?
I'm envious! (One of these days soon, I hope to be in the "sticks" / "middle of nowhere" like that!) I'm also seeing why it's so easy for you and the long range stuff.

Me? Too many houses & buildings in the way Wink

Someone has to have a laminating machine closer than that. Then again, maybe not.

posted Hide Post
I have used the Sunrise Tactical dope holder for many years now. It works well for me.

I started with a Nike (I think) football-based wrist card holder. The elastic band didn't hold up, the elastic wasn't adaptable to various clothing options, the velcro on the closure was cheesy.

I also have some wrist card holders for on-the-fly data -- say if you need dope for the 6 targets on a stage. These work with write/erase boards or pieces of masking tape, and the data area is about 2" by 3". Probably not what you're looking for.

The Sunrise unit holds 3" by 5" cards. Fine for one stiff card, but multiple cards or a flimsy-paper note card can be a challenge putting the cards in the window and removing them. I trim the cards by maybe 1/4" to 1/3" height and width, which helps.

I need to retire my first Sunrise unit. The vinyl window is pretty scratched, and somewhat stained by markers. You can write on the vinyl window with both dry erase and wet erase markers. Be sure to erase either quickly after use, as the vinyl retains the color. Sunrise #2 is my working wrist card, with #3 in the wings for when #2 is toast.

The Sunrise's velcro straps adjust quite well to different clothing layers -- bare skin to multiple layers. I've used it in all weather, from summer heat to winter snows.

I use a few types of cards, depending on type of competition. For unknown distance matches, it's raw ballistic tables -- target distance, elevation, 10 mph wind holds. For matches with known targets & distances, it's a drawing of the stage, with elevation & windage for each target. Pretty certain I have a few cards for prior matches, and I will try to get pictures of what I've done.

I highly recommend Sunrise Tactical's system.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that, fritz; good to know.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Football section of a sporting good’s store.

My wife and one of her deaf students used them all time when he was playing wide receiver.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are ballistics cards for one of my ARs and the 6.5CM rifle. The cards are set up for matches with fairly generously sized targets, and unknown distances. Meaning I must range the targets. The left, blank, white column is for a tick mark on target distances. Since the dope card is inside the Sunrise unit, I mark the vinyl outer of the Sunrise with a dry/wet erase marker. The Sunrise holder has 3 windows, and I keep the most likely distance card on the top & outer layer.

I make my dope card in increments of 1,000' density altitude. I am not concerned with absolute altitude or station pressure. I "laminate" most cards with a layer of clear packaging tape. I've been to enough matches where rain or snow occurs -- plain cards fall apart, ink runs. I color code elevation and windage. It only takes a few mistakes to figure that out.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A nice thing of the Sunrise holder is the multiple windows. A challenge is how to best use them. The outer layer is easy, the inner ones not as much.

In the second Team Safari that I shot with offgrid, we learned more of how to work as a team -- rather than as 2 individual shooters. I was the AR guy, shot first, and had no limits on number of rounds per target. Stage times can be really tight in this match, as finding and ranging targets is generally quite hard. To facilitate offgrid's precision rifle work, I made a dope card for his rifle and kept it in my Sunrise. This allowed me to give him dope verbally, so he didn't have to get out of position and find his own dope. It bought us a few targets here and there, when we had only seconds left on stages.

The downside to the Sunrise is that there isn't a good way to keep the top layer held back -- so you can look at the 2nd & 3rd windows. My best solution is type of rubber band that goes on your fore arm, then you slip it on and off the Sunrise as necessary. A regular heavy rubber band works OK. Better if finding the right sized elastic thingie that ladies use for ponytails. I had a couple of them, but can't find them now.

posted Hide Post
Here are stage cards for when the match director gives us target data up front. I build these the night before. Target distances in yards are the left numbers. Elevations in MOA are the yellow circled numbers. Wind holds for 10mph are the red numbers. The position of the targets roughly mimics how they should be laid out on the stage.

The upper card tells me that there were 2 shots per target. "2x"
The stage was called "Down to the Minute". IIRC, either all the targets were 1 MOA in size, or all the targets were 9" in size, making the last one 1 MOA.

The lower card tells me 3 targets, shot in order of near - middle - far - middle - near. One string of fire from strong side, one string of fire from weak side. Almost certainly from some type of effed-up barrier, with movement between positions. For this stage, I might have dialed the first or second target, then dealt with elevation issues with hold overs/unders.

I believe this from a match in Nebraska.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have the Armageddon gear wrist band that comes with two small dry erase boards and a marker that will write on it but it takes alcohol wipes to take it off.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post