SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1A Range Day with new optic and mount - 2 foot low and out of adjustment.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1A Range Day with new optic and mount - 2 foot low and out of adjustment. Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Took the M1A out to the Range this weekend to try out my Sightron Scope with the Sadlak mount that was installed by my local Gun Smith. Took several rounds to get on paper and shots were ~2 feet low.

So I adjusted the top adjustment and after a few clicks I was all the way to the top and the dial would not go up anymore.

Thinking the scope must be bad I changed it out with one of my older Leupold scopes and headed back to the range on Sunday.

Same results..... Still low and adjustment is maxed out. The Leupold left and right were on, but I couldn't go up.

Since I was sighting the rifle in my target was at roughly 50 yards using Surplus Ball Ammo brass LC cased. Open sights this ammo works fine, I went with a scope so I could shoot at longer ranges and my eyes are not what they use to.

Any suggestions??? I'm out of town for work, but was going to take it back to the Smith on Thursday.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
does your smith use a bore sight? I would think it would be much closer?

You need to sight it in using a 100 yd target, not 50. That is a big part of your problem.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The Sadlak elevation is adjustable. Look at the cartridge clip guide insert and see that it has a step. Your step is on top. Remove the clip guide screw and flip the clip guide insert 180˚ so the step is on the bottom. That will raise the threaded hole for the clip guide screw.

Back out the front recoil set screw (the big one that touches the top of the receiver ring). Loosen the main side screw and rotate the cam lever clockwise to about the 1 or 2 o'clock position. That will slide the mount back against the clip guide slot (which is angled) and raise the back of the mount.

That will angle the front of the scope down, raising your POI.

Torque the side screw to 65 inch pounds and screw in the front recoil set screw until it touches the receiver ring. Once it touches, keep going about 1/16th of a turn and lock it in place with the side set screw.

Here are two videos I made on the subject.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Funny I found your videos about a month ago and that is how I decided on this type of set up.

I also sighted in my TC 308 Deer Rifle also in 308 at 50 yards and had no issues at 100 yards hitting steel plates. I figured something was off since I was so far off on the M1A.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
I also sighted in my TC 308 Deer Rifle also in 308 at 50 yards and had no issues at 100 yards hitting steel plates. I figured something was off since I was so far off on the M1A.

Zeroing at 50 or 100 yards isn't the problem. A little educated guessing on your ammo and scope-over-bore height, and I see the following ballpark figures:
- zero at 50 yards, and you'll likely see impacts around .6" higher than POA at 100 yards
- zero at 100 yards, and you'll likely see impacts around .3" lower than POA at 50 yards
These ballistics estimates should be within 1/2" of real-world results.

Tony's notes on the mount should solve things.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Good news my local gun smith remounted the Sadlack and bore sighted the scope. Gun is shooting great now with ball ammo at 100 yards.

NRA Life Member

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That's looking good sir. Ball ammo, dam good.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yup, I'd be happy with that! Always a good feeling to get the kinks ironed out. An M1A is on my short list of gun wants...I just haven't been able to find the right deal.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Proper installation makes all the difference!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great group!

I am picking up my first M1 (Springfield) this Thursday. Big Grin

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post