SIGforum
Smoke pole range time with my boys.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9720031184

April 08, 2021, 05:26 PM
BB61
Smoke pole range time with my boys.
With the price of ammo (when you can find it), my boys and I have moved to almost exclusively shooting black powder rifles and pistols. The rifle is a 50 caliber T/C Hawken I made from a kit I got from Fox Ridge Outfitters about 20 years ago. The pistol is a 45 caliber CVA Colonial I made from a kit I got about 40 years ago when I was a kid.

I typically shoot the Hawken with 80 grains of powder over a patch and ball. I’m more conservative with the pistol and only shoot 20 grains of powder over a patch and ball. Typically, I use FFG or the equivalent for both. I do have some FFFG for the pistol but it shoots well with the FFG. Both are equally reliable with #11 caps although I have a fair amount of #11 magnum caps for the rifle for hunting or situation shoots at the local rendezvous.

The rifle is very accurate. The pistol - well I have to admit I drilled the front sight hole slightly off center years ago so the sights are off a bit. Nevertheless, it is minute of bad guy at about 7 yards. Which is probably good for such a short barreled pistol. If anyone has an extra barrel for the pistol for sale (Ebay prices are way to rich for me) let me know. Anyway, we had another great time at the range yesterday. Now, if I could only get my daughters to go.

April 08, 2021, 05:49 PM
nhracecraft
I Like It! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
April 08, 2021, 06:03 PM
Chris Orndorff
For a second there, I thought you had taken a piano to the range Big Grin

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

April 08, 2021, 06:29 PM
BB61
^^^^

Well, we did play a little Country Western music while shooting.

May 03, 2021, 02:31 PM
Green Highlander
Black powder is a ton of fun. I never thought I wanted a bp muzzleloader until I shot one. Now I have 7. The TC Hawken is fantastic looking and incredibly accurate. Too bad they stopped making them after S&W took over.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
May 05, 2021, 07:54 PM
BB61
^^^^
I read today S&W is selling Thompson. Hopefully the new owner won't be an investment bank and will start production of the Hawken again.