SIGforum
SCAR cleaning question

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9530051884

January 02, 2022, 08:51 PM
arabiancowboy
SCAR cleaning question
Gents, I took my scar16s out shooting with my son today and decided to do a deep cleaning afterwards. On the aft side of the bolt carrier, above the hole housing the recoil spring and guide rod, there is another bore out hole a few inches deep. I noticed the inside of this hole had what appears to be rust. Totally bizarre location and I’m not sure what I’m looking at. Also not sure if I’m just noticing it now or if it’s always been there. Anyway some of it wiped up using bore cleaner, but there appears to be a deep stain in that location. It’s quite odd, and I’m curious if any members have seen anything similar.

I’m not an expert on this weapon, but it looks weird to me. Thanks for any reflections you might have.
January 04, 2022, 06:09 PM
sig 226
Could you post a picture? I can go check my 16S to compare.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus
January 06, 2022, 06:50 AM
Voshterkoff
Youtube channel garandthumb recently posted a cold weather ice test of several rifles. He extended it to check water/rust resistance. He states that his SCAR was the only one to rust. https://www.instagram.com/p/CYRuqz0puQQ/?hl=en
I know it’s a sample of one, but if it’s more prone to rust, a bored out cavity for weight reduction that doesn’t normally get lube protection would be a likely place for rust to form.
January 06, 2022, 11:41 AM
1KPerDay
Mine hasn't rusted in 10 years but I live in a desert

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
January 07, 2022, 01:27 AM
arabiancowboy
Thanks for the replies. Yes I’ll post a picture as soon as I can; I know that would be better than a verbal description.
January 07, 2022, 05:16 PM
hrcjon
I'll be interested in the detailed picture. I like the scar and its my goto rifle. I have subjected them to a number of 'adhoc' poor storage conditions, including ground storage all without issue (well unless you call mold an issue).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
January 19, 2022, 09:19 PM
Jerod
I have a 16,17 and 20s. I think FN made a small mistake and did a lot of the metal parts in a black oxide. Black oxide is a form of blueing. Blueing is a controlled form of rust itself. They should have just parkerized the metal parts. Just my .02

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229
January 30, 2022, 07:43 AM
arabiancowboy
Quick follow up: took the SCAR for an extended shooting session a few days ago and followed yesterday with an extended cleaning session. What I thought was rust upon closer inspection appears to be a nasty factory lubricant that was caked on. With a lot of elbow grease I got most of it off, but it spread everywhere and appeared to calcify in certain spots.

But that’s my only complaint and it’s a non-issue. Wonderful weapon.
January 30, 2022, 08:39 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
What I thought was rust upon closer inspection appears to be a nasty factory lubricant that was caked on.

I have no experience with the SCAR, but I have seen that reported with different guns over the years.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato