SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Battle Rifle recommendations?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle Rifle recommendations? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Once Trump gets reelected and some normalcy returns to the gun world, I’d like to buy a larger caliber semi auto to compliment my AR15. I’ve got larger caliber lever guns but I want something different.

Is the M-14 style the best price point? Or would an AR10 be just as good?

Any other suggestions? I’m not trying to spend three grand here...just trying to round out my options long-term.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love the M14/M1A platform. They're fantastic old school rifles, and they're a blast to shoot.

But if I had to rely on a .308 rifle for serious use, it would be a SCAR or .308 AR. They're simply better suited for nearly all practical purposes. And they'll generally be more accurate, on average, than a factory M1A.

So if this will just be for shits and giggles, absolutely get a semi M14.

But if you know you're planning to use it as a patrol rifle, or for defensive use, or for hunting, get a SCAR or .308 AR.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Price point- CZ Bren 2
Worth the money, reliable has aftermarket support

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a M1A for the 7.62millimeters of love that it can send. I’m partial to them though,I had one in the service . Mrs. Mike got it for me when the Tomminator was born. I’ve shot several AR10s but like the feel of the real battle rifle. I also trained with the M1 Garand when I was in bootcamp-theM14 was a shoo-in.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Price point- CZ Bren 2
Worth the money, reliable has aftermarket support

The .308 semi Bren 2 is not even out yet. It's currently still only available in select fire form to LE agencies.

How can there be aftermarket support for something that hasn't been released? And how can you know it's worth the money when nobody has experience with it yet, and we don't yet know the retail price?

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Scar 17 would be (and is) my first choice. AR10 would be my second choice. Probably a Larue.

I have a ptr 91 that makes a pretty good battle rifle too. Especially with $10 mags.

I do have a couple of M1As and I like them but they are heavy. The socom 2 is pretty good but loud AF.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
FAL might be an option. I love mine. Kind of like the M14, there might be newer options out there, but I appreciate the elegance of it.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too vote for the FAL. The bush rifle model, specifically.
Failing that, the SCAR would be my choice.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I vote M1A over the AR-10. Nothing to add on the others.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
CZ Bren 2 in 7.69 x39
The OP asked about larger caliber....

30 caliber includes 7.62 and .308

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
CZ Bren 2 in 7.69 x39
The OP asked about larger caliber....

30 caliber includes 7.62 and .308

That's a bit of a stretch. By the same logic, .30 carbine would count, and that's clearly not what Chongo's asking about.

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PSA sells AR 10’s for under a grand.

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
definitely .308 AR.

i tried going .308 in the past and went PTR-91. ended up selling it.

with our ingrained knowledge the AR platform it's kinda silly not to go the AR-10 route

i'll get one of these eventually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz9Q5nHQTcM

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for something to fill a DMR-type role, or to put a scope on, I'd look at a tuned up M1A or AR10. A FAL is a great battle rifle, but accuracy is generally more in the "minute of man" category.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been entertaining this question for the past year or more.

I have a M1 Carbine plus an M1 Garand but want a rifle that is chambered for a .308.

I wish back in the day many many years ago when I still lived in Cols, OH I would have bought one of the CETME but I know they were hit or miss. I did see that Century Arms® has re-introduced the C308® Sporter in Synthetic for about $725.

After attending the Ruger AR armorers course, I have gave serious consideration to getting one in .308. I really like their customer service if something needs fixed or tweaked. (so does my dad which says more than anyone could ever know)

The M14 or SA M1A is always a great choice, and I know one of the forum members builds them and when I grow up and get some money I would like him to build me one.

I did see that in another discussion a forum member posted a link to DSA arms. I know back in the day I thought the DSA 58 was the bees knees. I had a couple of friends I worked with on the PD who had them and we tried to melt the barrels and they never missed a beat.

I always was going to buy one but I kept procrastinating and thought I will get it later (like everyone else)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had the M1 Garand...through CMP..great rifle but not what I would consider a battle rifle.

The H&K G3 and variants would be my choice. Parts are plentiful, including magazines....design is robust, accurate enough for what it was designed, not very heavy and shoots .30cal round. Can be used close in and out at a distance with good optics.

If I was going to get one today it would be a PTR91 variant with the welded on rail for optics. The best non-H&K option for anyone without thousands of dollars burning hole in pocket and willing to wait.

That would be my choice...I owned one and sold it and regretted it immediately so will be buying another.

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have a semi auto M14, SA-48 FAL, PTR-91, SIG AMT, and working on a BM59 build. For any real practical use, I would recommend a SCAR or AR-10. For your price point I would look at an Aero AR-10 receiver set and build it out how you want. Use the current craziness to find what parts work together and try to find them in stock during a sale.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not sure about now and what prices or availability are but the PSA upper and lower combo where priced great months ago. Like under $600 great. A S&W is another great option. These if budget are a big factor. If not others had made good recommendations. Get one Ch. Do not hesitate.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19092 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I love my M1A. My FAL is a fun, reasonably accurate, historical anachronism that still gets the job done.

An AR style .308 is a better rifle than either of them.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12741 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lt.speirs
posted Hide Post
I have a FAL, a SA SOCOM 16, an original M14 and a SCAR 17. To be honest if you want a serious rifle, go with the SCAR. It's a modern designed rigle which will outperform all other models, in reliability and in accuracy. I hit targets with repeatability at 1000m with the SCAR 17, the others can't do that.

Really depends on what are your needs and pleasure. Sure the M14/M1A are very nice rifles but they are outdated, so is the FAL. They will all still perform well but they have their limitations due to their age.

Posts: 901 | Location: Europe | Registered: April 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post