SIGforum
Ruger Mini 14 Rancher

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9420094794

January 02, 2023, 05:49 AM
paulbriand
Ruger Mini 14 Rancher
Just picked up a Ruger Mini Rancher in .223/5.56 for plinking 50-100 yards, maybe some at the 200 yard table. Looking for recommendations on a red dot optic or a scope. Thanks
January 02, 2023, 09:48 AM
RogueJSK
I use an Ultimak rail with a Primary Arms red dot (Aimpoint Micro clone) on mine.

http://ultimak.com/BuyMini.htm

It's shown at the bottom of this family photo, with the Ultimak installed but sans optic.

January 02, 2023, 02:37 PM
JonDaddy82
Same, I use an Ultimak rail and a Holosun on mine. Might want to look into an Accu-Strut.

IDPA ESP SS
January 02, 2023, 02:49 PM
kkina
quote:
Might want to look into an Accu-Strut.

Excellent advice.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
January 02, 2023, 06:08 PM
WaterburyBob
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Excellent advice.

I agree - you make a great product. I was going to suggest it myself.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
January 03, 2023, 06:22 PM
Pale Horse
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Excellent advice.

I agree - you make a great product. I was going to suggest it myself.

Yeah I put one on both of my Mini-14s and it made a noticeable improvement on both. Plus honestly it looks really cool.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
January 10, 2023, 10:00 PM
bushpilot
Not to hijack your thread Rogue but I need some advice...I had a beautiful early M1A national match with both stocks and other accessories but sold it and a lot of other stuff to help the kids get through college. I used the M-14 in Vietnam as well as the M-16 and really like M-14 platform.

I am looking to purchase another M1A national match or maybe the Scout version. I prefer the American made gun and not some Chinese knock-off. Is the cast receiver acceptable or should I continue my search for the machined receiver? All comments welcome.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln
January 11, 2023, 06:50 PM
Rustpot
quote:
Originally posted by paulbriand:
Just picked up a Ruger Mini Rancher in .223/5.56 for plinking 50-100 yards, maybe some at the 200 yard table. Looking for recommendations on a red dot optic or a scope. Thanks

I stuck an Aimpoint Pro in a 30mm Warne medium ring made for the Mini-14 receiver base (sold as a pair) and like how it turned out.

I don't have a photo handy, but here's one I was able to find mounted the same, just using a Ruger ring instead (the warne is a bit bigger/thicker).
https://i.imgur.com/Cssk2hO.jpg
January 12, 2023, 09:48 AM
bubbatime
I wouldn’t think that mount above would be robust enough to not lose zero (Aimpoint in a single warne mount) . Aimpoint makes a longer red dot that you could use with two scope rings…

January 15, 2023, 10:16 AM
1KPerDay
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
Not to hijack your thread Rogue but I need some advice...I had a beautiful early M1A national match with both stocks and other accessories but sold it and a lot of other stuff to help the kids get through college. I used the M-14 in Vietnam as well as the M-16 and really like M-14 platform.

I am looking to purchase another M1A national match or maybe the Scout version. I prefer the American made gun and not some Chinese knock-off. Is the cast receiver acceptable or should I continue my search for the machined receiver? All comments welcome.
most M1A guys will say that the cast receivers are fine, particularly the older ones made in the 90s. I think mostly because of nostalgia and the receiver markings. Todays are like dot matrix laser engraved I think and some people don’t like them. Everyone used to say that if you use USGI guts in the SAI cast receivers you’re good to go. But GI parts have gotten crazy expensive the last few years.

Nobody will argue that cast is superior to forged from LRB or similar but a good forged in spec receiver is pretty dang expensive these days.

I’d keep my eye out for a used LRB if you want the best, or get a new SAI “loaded” if you want the best deal on a shootable rifle. Or get a standard with a wood or GI fiberglass stock and shoot it. Chances are it’ll be fine and SAI will warranty any issues.

Ping Benny6 for better info

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.