SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope for 10/22?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for 10/22? Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I just bought a Ruger BX trigger and a 16.5" Volquartsen barrel for my 10/22. This is primarily going to continue my tradition of being all target rifles, but I'm thinking it might make a good squirrel hunting rifle.

I have a dirt cheap 1.5-6x scope on there right now; anyone have a suggestion for a decent (affordable) scope to go out to 100 yards? I'm currently having a hard time deciding on a budget for both this and the AR. I don't think what I have is what I want, but I'm not convinced that either one needs the Strike Eagle 5-25x56 that's on my long range rifles.

What's worked for you?

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at the Vortex Crossfire II 3 - 9 x 40 Riflescope. Fairly light, affordable ($125-$150), good clarity, and a lifetime replacement warranty. I have one on 2 different rimfire rifles (22LR and 22Mag)and have been real happy with both.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire scope for an AR-7. I am quite happy with it. I bought it two years ago for about $200.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
On .22lr, I like a 4x fixed power … (Nikon)

I’ve tried 6+ and prefer 4x

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ruger 10/22 T/D Lite and one of my sons gave me a UTG 3-9X32 1" BugBuster Scope.
I didn't think it would hold up but it's been quite brilliant and held zero so far (3 years).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Here is my '76 10/22 with a Bushnell 3X-7X Custom .22 scope. Everything still works as it did 45+ years ago.

I still have the original paperwork and receipts for both the scope and 10/22. Check out those prices.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://thearmsguide.com/16689...ope-for-ruger-10-22/

Pretty good article to read and think about.
Talks about first v. second focal plane, magnifying power, magnifying range...

But pretty much to sum things up, take a good look at the Vortex Crossfire! And you're getting a pretty good scope for a decent price!

There's also Athlon. They have a Neos 3x9 with a bdc for just over $100. A friend has one on his 10/77 and loves the thing.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I just got home from Bass Pro - I ended up with a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X44 and a set of Leupold high 30mm rings. I'll see tomorrow about sighting it in, then tear everything down when my barrel and trigger arrive.

I ended up getting everything (plus a primer tray) for right around $450 otd. A wee bit more than I wanted to spend, but at least I know I'm getting what I paid for.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Vortex makes good glass.
Sits on my best rifles (HD glass).

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
You and I are in agreement there. I've got Strike Eagle 5-25x56's on both of my target rifles and I love them; I just didn't think my 10/22 was worth dropping $800 (realistically closer to $900-1000 after rings and whatnot) on a scope right now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Thanks guys. I just got home from Bass Pro - I ended up with a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X44 and a set of Leupold high 30mm rings. I'll see tomorrow about sighting it in, then tear everything down when my barrel and trigger arrive.

I ended up getting everything (plus a primer tray) for right around $450 otd. A wee bit more than I wanted to spend, but at least I know I'm getting what I paid for.

How's the vortex working out? That exact model is on my short list for a CA Ranger 22 that I just bought. My concern is the reticle is awfully busy for a plinker. Still need to look through 1.

Other short list:
Tract 4-12x40, not available yet.
VX-Freedom 4-12x40 - More $$$

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Bushnell Banner 1.5 to 5x scope (or thereabouts). It does the job just fine...but I almost wish I had gotten a fixed mag scope since I invariably dial it up to the max.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon Rimfire 4x on a Takedown 10/22 with the BX trigger and a Nikon Rimfire 3 x 9 on a wood stock 80s model 10/22 also with the BX trigger.

I know Nikon stopped making scopes, but their Rimfire scopes were a good deal.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
After having problems Burris, Bushnell and a few other well known names, I use Leupold exclusively. They’re clear, track well. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a few others I’ve bought in the past but if/when they have problems I’ll replace them with a Leupold … they have an economy line called the Rifleman. Last year or three I bought a couple of the 4-12x40 for $279, they also have a 3-9 which used to be $179 and like all Leupolds they are made in the USA and have their lifetime warranty. I’ve got a couple of the VX series for at least a couple decades with no problems. I’m not particularly hard on my scopes but I don’t baby them either.
I know most well known scopes have lifetime warranty, but that’s not really the point, when a scope goes down, it’s down until you get a replacement and if you’re at the range or planning on squirrel stew, it’s really aggravating when your scope goes down. This is just my experience, best of luck with whatever you go with.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I've got a Ruger 10/22 T/D Lite and one of my sons gave me a UTG 3-9X32 1" BugBuster Scope.
I didn't think it would hold up but it's been quite brilliant and held zero so far (3 years).

Mine's done well, also. I use the Warne QD rings to move this scope around on several rifles, a couple of which require high mounts.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post