SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Henry SideGate Steel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry SideGate Steel Login/Join 
posted
Well I was walking through the lgs and lo and behold they had 2 rifles I wanted. One was the Henry All Weather Sidegate 30-30 and the other was the Henry Steel SG in 357.

I wanted them both but that is just silly so I picked one. I walked out with the 357 rifle.

Beautiful gun. Same very nice checkered wood as my 44 carbine. This one has the round barrel vice the octagon which I am glad for because of the longer barrel and weight.

Obviously I haven't shot it yet but I have to say Henry is making the best lever guns out there right now.

Looking forward to trying this one out next to its brothers the 22 Small Game Carbine and the 44 carbine.

Eventually on this one I will probably swap into the aperture sights.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pics or it didn’t happen Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know. I have to find a decent free hosting site. I really want to post a family picture now that I have the 3 of them. It did really happen though I swear. lol

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good call on picking the .357! .30-30 is great, but a .38/.357 levergun on steel is about the most fun you can have with the genre....and if you really need the ballistics for hunting hot .357 mag doesn't give up that much to .30-30.

And yeah, we need a family pic...if you want e-mail it to me and I'll host it through my flikr account.

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I figured it out. My favorite is the center carbine. I love the finish, the octagon barrel, and especially the carbine length. If I find a 357 carbine Henry I am doomed to buy it.

So, top to bottom, 357 Big Boy Steel side gate, BB 44 Magnum carbine, 22 Small Game Carbine.

I really want to add the Skinner peep to these two but I think you end up having to swap the front sight as well and I really like the brass bead front sight that comes standard.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That color-case hardening on the middle one is sweet looking. I have Skinner sights on a couple of my Marlin levers, and really like them. You do usually have to swap the front sight, but Skinner sells gold bead front sights made by Marbles. You have to check and make sure it fits your dovetail size, and getting the correct height is kind of tricky. I actually bought three and swapped them until I found the right one.

Here's my Marlin 1894P with Skinners installed:

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I figured it out. My favorite is the center carbine. I love the finish, the octagon barrel, and especially the carbine length. If I find a 357 carbine Henry I am doomed to buy it.

So, top to bottom, 357 Big Boy Steel side gate, BB 44 Magnum carbine, 22 Small Game Carbine.

I really want to add the Skinner peep to these two but I think you end up having to swap the front sight as well and I really like the brass bead front sight that comes standard.

Those are beautiful. Congrats on the new carbine.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I really like the looks of the color case hardened receiver. Side gate makes it much better.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True. I never even considered Henry until they added the side gate. I love having both, truly best of both worlds.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve recently gotten into Henry’s. I had the 22 but now I have the 357 and 44. Added the Ranger Prcision peep sight but haven’t shot it yet.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to get a set of Skinners but those Ranger sights seem intriguing. I like the protective ears. Does the cloverleaf aperture actually improve the sight? Did you have to replace the front sight to zero it?

Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
I have both a Henry Big Boy Steel (no side gate) and a Rossi. Was able to borrow a friends Case Hardened Henry with a side gate and compared it to the Rossi. Both are great little rifles!

Henry vs Rossi

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I finally found a henry stee;l sidegate carbine large loop with round barrel after looking for 2 years. And I havent fired it since buying it..maybe need to get out tommorow

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I shot one in 45/70 with a supressor at a local range last month. First time I had shot a lever action.

It was such a hoot, and so much softer than I thought 45/70 would be, I didn't even notice how loud/quiet it was with the suppressor.

And the Henry was really a quality rifle.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6053 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered the Ranger Precision peep sights for these. I am hoping that their ability to get the peep lower allows me to retain the factory front sight. We shall see.

I also ordered the big headed screw for the lever so that I can quickly remove the bolt. I am hoping it works well and is fairly unobtrusive.

Picture of rstaton
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a color case henry 357 carbine and rifle. Skinner actually makes some color case peeps that match the color case henry perfectly. I ordered a couple without the skinner engraving.... Looks and works awesome.... Have to change front sights though.

Posts: 163 | Registered: September 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have one in .17hmr and really want the case hardened carbine in .357.
Best quality lever gun out there.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post