SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg - Loop Lug Instead of Bolt Post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg - Loop Lug Instead of Bolt Post Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Howdy all,

My Mossberg 500A seems to be a bit of an odd duck. On most Mossberg 500 replacement barrels, you've got a captive bolt running through the barrel lug, which screws into a bolt hole on the front of the magazine tube.

On mine, the barrel lug is a loop, which slides over the front of the magazine tube and is held in place by a large, knurled bolt, which you hand tighten. Those of you who own Mossberg 590s or Winchester 1300 shotguns will be familiar with this setup.

Is there anywhere I can source a replacement barrel for hunting with this shotgun? It currently has a goofy fang-face flash hider breaching tool thingy to bring the barrel length to 18"...I'm looking for a 20-26" barrel with interchangeable choke tubes and/or a rifled slug barrel with irons or a rail.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's not someone's cobbled together 500 with an 835 barrel, or something?

I've never seen a 500 like what you're describing if I'm understanding correctly, but the 835 is that way, and I believe the Remington 870 is too.

All my 500 barrels are like this:
https://www.mossberg.com/store...-26-blued-90136.html

Is this 835 barrel like what you have?
https://www.mossberg.com/store...-28-matte-90831.html

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Yes! Can I put an 835 barrel on a 500?

This is definitely a factory configuration, I've seen them advertised and NIB in shops.

This is the shotgun:

Mossberg 500 breacher

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post