SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    NRA Gun of the week - RPR .338 Lapua
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA Gun of the week - RPR .338 Lapua Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les007:
Most large purchases in my adult life, right or wrong, have been 'buy as much as you can once' vs having to upgrade over time.

Buying too much gun to start is a bad idea IMO. You are very likely to develop bad habits and / or technique with too much gun. Just because a rifle/ caliber is capable of shooting LD doesn't mean the shooter is. There is much more to shooting LD than putting the cross hairs on target and pulling the trigger.

I would start a good heavy barreled varmint or target rifle in .223 with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist. And once you get proficient at 600yds go with the 6.5CM. The savings in ammo alone depending on how much you shoot and how long it takes to get proficient could get you that 6.5CM. Or at least a good share of the way there.

On the scope I would use your philosophy to buy as much scope and rings as you can with the idea of moving it to your new rifle in the future. I have sold rifles in the past, but never a scope or rings.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les007:
I would be ok with buying a Remington latest generation 700, but I'm really in love with the Ruger Precision Rifle. The question is, which caliber? I think I'm still leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmore, unless for the distances I can shoot on a regular basis, make this an 'uninformed' or dare I say it, 'stupid' decision on my part?

Remington 700 is an option, so is Ruger Precision, so is Tikka, so is Bergara. So are other manufacturers. Stepping up a little, there are smaller companies beginning to make very nice rifles with the mid-priced custom actions that are hitting the market. Honestly, there are shooters better versed in the brands and options than I.

In the long run, purchasing a 6.5 Creedmoor should be a good choice. The caliber will be around for a long time, it now has a strong following of ammo manufacturers, hand loading ammo evidently is relatively straight forward, recoil is manageable by most shooters, accuracy & long distance ballistics are good, more & more rifle manufacturers are chambering for it. The 6.5CM is only a fad if one goes back in time -- and considers the introduction of 308 Win and 223 Remy as fads....

The accuracy of modern rifles can be quite amazing at 100 or 200 yards. It doesn't matter if the caliber is 6.5CM, 6CM, 6 Dasher, 243 Win, 308 Win, 223 Remy, 300 WM, 270 Win, 30-06, 25-06, 7-08, 260 Remy, or a solid list of others. Get a good barrel, chamber it correctly, add some quality ammo, put a decent trigger puller behind the buttstock -- voila, one gets purdy little groups. Well, at least much of the time. We humans are generally the weakest link in the accuracy chain.

To be honest, a caliber with the kinetic energy and muzzle velocity of a 6.5CM (or similar class of cartridge) isn't necessary to shoot at 100-200 yard targets. IIRC bench rest accuracy records at such distances are held by calibers based on the much smaller PPC cartridge. A quality 223 Remy rifle can be amazingly accurate at 100-200 yards. And beyond.

It all depends upon what you want to do. If you want the lowest recoil possible (say, for high volume shooting, or maybe sharing the rifle with a smaller/younger shooter), then 223 Remy is valid option. If you want to stretch out to long distance competition, then the flight ballistics of the 6.5CM is a valid option. If you want to compete in steel matches that emphasize a flat-shooting, long distance, low-recoiling round, then 6CM is a valid option. If you want the options of hunting with heavy bullets, and plinking with low-cost surplus ammo, 308 is a valid option.

There are advantages and trade-offs to each of the above calibers -- and this is by no means a complete list of caliber options. It depends on your goals. BTW, you also get to through a bunch of options when choosing an optic, too.

If it's an option, I suggest hanging out at a public range, making some friends, and trying to get a chance to put a handful of rounds down range with every possible gun. Most gun owners are pretty happy to show off their toys to others, even let them shoot a few (but not a boat load!) rounds. All it takes is a little charisma, an inquisitive approach, and a few thank yous.

Posts: 7879 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might laugh, but hear me out. If 200 yds is the effective limit of most the places you can shoot. Build a custom cz 22lr, or a good out of the box anni. I have an anni mpr, kimber 82 g, and am building a 22" lilja barrel based 10/22. Lobbing 40 grain bullets out 175 yds - 200yds and hitting a 2" group is very rewarding. The fundementals are the same. Just cheaper ammo 60-85 bux per 500 rounds of quality ammo.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes DSgrouse, it is great fun shooting a 22LR at 200yds. I do it frequently with my CZ PVT. It's also fun to watch the flight path the bullet takes to the target.