SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How do you keep your go to semi auto shotgun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you keep your go to semi auto shotgun? Login/Join 
posted
I am new to semi-auto shotguns.

I just picked up my Beretta 1301 G3.

I normally would keep a gun fully loaded with one in the chamber.

I have been told this is not safe for a semi-auto shotgun as they are not drop-safe even with the safety one.

What does the hive say about how they store theirs?

Also, what have you added to yours to make it more useful and comfortable?

I am thinking of adding a sling, light, and maybe an optic.

Not sure the optic is useful in home defense but might be fun at the range and other places.

Posts: 4760 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All of my defensive shotguns are stored "cruiser ready". That is, full magazine, off safe, empty chamber.

With my sole semiauto defensive shotgun, a Beretta 1201FP (a clone of the Benelli M1), I do the same but also have it "ghost loaded" with an additional shell riding on the lifter under the bolt. However, I don't believe you can "ghost load" the lifter on a 1301 like you can with some of the older Benelli models.

A sling and a light are a must on any defensive long gun, in my opinion.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure the optic is useful in home defense but might be fun at the range and other places.
For home defense, I consider a sling to be essential and a light to be almost essential.

Optics? Why? If you want to obscure your target, just glue an empty soda can to the top of the receiver.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use a pump and like Rogue said, cruiser safe is the way to go. I can’t think of any shotguns that are drop safe pump or semi

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Cruiser ready. Empty chamber, full magazine, safety on.

Most shotguns I'm aware of have no firing pin block, so I wouldn't leave one unattended with a round in the chamber. I know a guy who just last week sent a round of 00 Buck through the ceiling attempting to unload an 1897 in his house. The gun was mechanically defective and the hammer slipped off the sear and fired the gun (this was repeatable after the fact...he never pulled the trigger).

Also, keeping the chamber loaded would deprive one of the opportunity to try out Airsoft Guy's chack-chack speech should one ever need to repel a home invader, which would be incredibly disappointing Big Grin!

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC the M1014 Benelli was drop tested during its trials. But, I haven't been able to find a copy of the acceptance testing.

I'd tell you to store your semi auto shot gun the same way you store your pump gun. Just practice getting it into operation. From what I've read, most folks store them with an empty chamber (cruiser ready).

Posts: 4750 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I need to check, when I get home, but I am pretty sure that my Beretta requires me to drop the hammer on the empty chamber before racking the bolt will feed one from the magazine tube. If that is the case, the procedure for that semi-auto would be:
1) load magazine tube full
2) take off safe
3) drop hammer on empty chamber

Then it would be "cruiser ready" so racking the bolt would feed a round. If you rack the bolt with out dropping the hammer, the magazine disconnect prevents feeding a round. This is useful for unloading the chamber when crossing a fence. It is also useful to do an ammo swap, ex. when you have a buck load in the chamber and want to rack it out and drop in a slug. Benellis and Berettas will let you do that, on the fly, with only 1 round getting dumped.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
However, I don't believe you can "ghost load" the lifter on a 1301 like you can with some of the older Benelli models.

1301 can be ghost loaded as well. As with all things shotguns limited capacity would drive me to store it with a loaded mag tube and a round ghost loaded on the lifter on an empty chamber.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
"I don't believe you can "ghost load" the lifter on a 1301 like you can with some of the older Benelli models."

Indeed you can....full magazine, none in chamber,one on the lifter!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Cruiser safe as well here. Tube fully loaded, empty chamber. I'm running an 870.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5498 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
1301 can be ghost loaded as well.

Cool. Interesting that Beretta/Benelli initially allowed that in early models, then moved away from it in later models, and now have come back to it in the newest model.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My m90a1 sbs runs cruiser safe as well, was just the way I was taught.

Posts: 1677 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Assuming no kids in household,

I'm not clear on why a ready-to-go home defense shotgun needs to be stored *drop safe*.

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Assuming no kids in household,

I'm not clear on why a ready-to-go home defense shotgun needs to be stored *drop safe*.

Shit happens!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
never heard the phrase cruiser ready,
but I am not a cop,

however, that is exactly how all the pumps I have stashed (2 at home, 3 at my shop) are stored,

full mag,
empty chamber
safety off

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10548 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Cruiser ready in the ol' casa de Migel.
1201 close and personal, Bellini ( Big Grin) not far away.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9744 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Stacked up like cord wood? Big Grin

No... unloaded, but accompanied by ammo. Because of where they are, even if they were fully loaded they'd still be the somewhat slower weapon to get in the room.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beretta 1301 G3

how do you know it's a gen 3 ? is it stamped in the gun? I'm getting ready to buy one is why I ask.

Posts: 5673 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gen 3 tactical has a seven-round magazine tube that is even with the end of the barrel.

Gen 1 & 2 have a five-round tube that you could buy a two-round extension tube to add to it.

Avoid the Gen 1s as they had several problems that were fixed with Gen 2.

There are several variations of Gen 3s

My LE has a fixed choke, I have been told the non LE has a removable choke, but I have not seen one.

You can get them with or without a pistol grip
Mine is a regular stock.

The LTT has a bunch of upgrades from Langdon Tactical for about $500 more.

Not sure how you would tell an LTT Gen as they put on the longer magazine tube.

You would have to do a serial number lookup on the Beretta website and go by date born as they call it. I would guess early 2022. Gen 3 was announced in September 2021

Posts: 4760 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
When I was working LE, kept shotgun loaded with buck, sidesaddle loaded with slug. Chamber clear. At home, tubes are clear, saddle loaded with buckshot. All but an 11-87 and one 870 have flashlights. The Bennelli you can leave a shell on the lifter but unless I was working I kept it empty. You can run the bolt all day long but until you drop a round on the lifter, it on’t chamber a round.

Posts: 838 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post