SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG M400 Tread vs Colt M4 Trooper
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG M400 Tread vs Colt M4 Trooper Login/Join 
posted
How does the SIG M400 Tread compare to the Colt M4 Trooper? I know the Colt is the same quality as the 6920 but I do not have much info on this SIG model. It sounds like an entry level AR?
Grab A Gun has the Colt for $868 vs Cheaper Than Dirt's $740 for the SIG. I am looking for a quality additional rifle espeically considering how things may change in the next election.

SIG Site https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sigm400-tread.html

The SIG M400 Tread MSRP is 900 vs 1300 for the M400 Elite.

Thanks and happy shooting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Whatever you choose, don't choose Cheaper Than Durt. Suck Ass business.

During the last "run on guns" CTD exponentially increased their prices, but only after a "bait and switch." I, for one, will always remember this and will never do business with them. Additionally, they simply didn't have in stock what they were offering and long waits for purchased products happened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: craigcpa,

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm biased as I just picked up my Trooper yesterday. It's sweet but cost a bit more than the Tread.

But between the two, I would choose the Trooper for the Centurion rail and barrel vs what the Tread offers.

I like a Pic top rail all the way to the front and while the Magpul stuff on the Tread is nice, I'm a BCM guy and put a stock & grip on my Trooper right after I got home.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

Any details on why to avoid them? Sounds like the warnings that I receive about Buds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'm biased as I just picked up my Trooper yesterday. It's sweet but cost a bit more than the Tread.

But between the two, I would choose the Trooper for the Centurion rail and barrel vs what the Tread offers.

I like a Pic top rail all the way to the front and while the Magpul stuff on the Tread is nice, I'm a BCM guy and put a stock & grip on my Trooper right after I got home.

Thanks for helping me form my ideas. Yes the Colt Trooper is the better deal. I am just hoping that the price will drop as we approach Xmas.

posted Hide Post
I don't think it will drop substantially - the time to pick up a Colt Trooper was last summer when they were getting blown out for $700-750. But even at $850, it's a great deal for a legit milspec AR with a legit free-float rail.

posted Hide Post
Ask yourself...

What is the track record of the Colt M4 carbine, specifically, the 6920?

(Note: The Colt Trooper is a Colt 6920.)

What is the track record of the SIG M400 Tread?

Then, make your decision.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
How does the SIG M400 Tread compare to the Colt M4 Trooper? I know the Colt is the same quality as the 6920 but I do not have much info on this SIG model. It sounds like an entry level AR?
Grab A Gun has the Colt for $868 vs Cheaper Than Dirt's $740 for the SIG. I am looking for a quality additional rifle espeically considering how things may change in the next election.

SIG Site https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sigm400-tread.html

The SIG M400 Tread MSRP is 900 vs 1300 for the M400 Elite.

Thanks and happy shooting.

SSAreGreat,

The Colt Trooper is a Colt 6920 OEM2 with a Centurion Arms MLOK rail made specifically for the Colt Trooper model.

The Colt 6920 OEM1 is a Colt 6920 minus the buttstock, handguard, trigger guard, rear sight and magazine.

The Colt 6920 OEM2 is a Colt 6920 (with a shaved Front Sight Post) minus the buttstock, handguard, trigger guard, rear sight and magazine.

A Colt 6920 is a Colt 6920 is a Colt 6920...

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the thing is a 6920 is a well known quantity and has been in production for quite awhile.

With only $100-150 difference, it's hard not to go with the Colt.

posted Hide Post
The Colt wins. Thanks for the great as advice

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

During the last "run on guns" CTD exponentially increased their prices, but only after a "bait and switch." I, for one, will always remember this and will never do business with them. Additionally, they simply didn't have in stock what they were offering and long waits for purchased products happened.

Don't forget about the $80 pmag. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Creepier Than Dirt? Yeah, those guys...F 'em.

The Tread is essentially a M400 with a different handguard and an reasonably aggressive price point. I've had several in and out of the shop already and I admit that I like 'em so far. Just ordered another batch from SIG.

Considering some of the inconsistent crap ARs Colt has been supplying us with over the past couple of years, I'd have no problem choosing AND recommending just about anyone else over them. Hell, they even had a problem getting the right serial numbered gun in a matching numbered box. Trying to get an early start to the weekend, eh Colt?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Creepier Than Dirt? Yeah, those guys...F 'em.

The Tread is essentially a M400 with a different handguard and an reasonably aggressive price point. I've had several in and out of the shop already and I admit that I like 'em so far. Just ordered another batch from SIG.

Soggy-Spinout, Is it the same quality as an M400? SIG's website has a video on it that states it is an entry level rifle. Any comments would be appreciated.

Considering some of the inconsistent crap ARs Colt has been supplying us with over the past couple of years, I'd have no problem choosing AND recommending just about anyone else over them. Hell, they even had a problem getting the right serial numbered gun in a matching numbered box. Trying to get an early start to the weekend, eh Colt?

posted Hide Post
I'm sure soggy_spinout has more experience in this at the retail level, but I'd never trust Sig about a rifle period. Learned that lesson along the whole history of buying things SIG. The history of non support in the area of rifles is very, very long. If there is a single proprietary piece on that SIG AR you can guarantee you won't get it fixed/replaced/updated after a very short period of time. Now I have not studied the Tread so if it has nothing that's not traditional AR with replacements in the open market carry on. If you don't like Colt and their support (which is pretty much the whole market supports colt parts) then get someone else reputable. And there are many.
But while I like the SIG AR's I have (M400) I'm not going to be sucked into the mess again. My safe is full of many unsupported SIG rifles.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my Colt 6920 Trooper is great.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm sure soggy_spinout has more experience in this at the retail level, but I'd never trust Sig about a rifle period. Learned that lesson along the whole history of buying things SIG. The history of non support in the area of rifles is very, very long. If there is a single proprietary piece on that SIG AR you can guarantee you won't get it fixed/replaced/updated after a very short period of time. Now I have not studied the Tread so if it has nothing that's not traditional AR with replacements in the open market carry on. If you don't like Colt and their support (which is pretty much the whole market supports colt parts) then get someone else reputable. And there are many.
But while I like the SIG AR's I have (M400) I'm not going to be sucked into the mess again. My safe is full of many unsupported SIG rifles.

That news about non support is quite distressing. I have a M400 Ehanced that is 2 years old and 4100 rounds. What will SIG do if a part breaks and they do not stock the part anymore?

When I bought the M 400 I thought I was getting lifetime warranty.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Get the Colt

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You did get a lifetime warranty. Lifetime of the corporation, or lifetime of corporation's decision to support the product. If and when these two are history, then you get support for the length of time that third party entities are willing to work on the product.

Such is the way of businesses for -- I don't know -- centuries?

As for the Colt, has Colt decided to join the 21st century on their ARs or do they still have carbine-length gas systems and non-free-floated handguards?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That news about non support is quite distressing. I have a M400 Ehanced that is 2 years old and 4100 rounds. What will SIG do if a part breaks and they do not stock the part anymore?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4740015054

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don't let a bunch of the forum nay-sayers get you down.

You bought an AR-15, regardless of whose brand is on it. It's supported by the largest firearms accessory market out there. You'll never be "without support" on a standard AR.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post