SIGforum
What’s the sweet spot with spotting scopes?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9300082494

August 20, 2022, 09:50 PM
OttoSig
What’s the sweet spot with spotting scopes?
Based off my recent post I now know I need binos and a spotting scope. I think I can more easily research binos and decide on a make, model, magnification (Zeiss 10x for example), but I’m horribly ignorant on spotting scopes so what is that sweet spot comparable to a TR24 LPVO. Higher quality but still middle-road cost.

Please provide your recommendations so I can scout the best prices.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
August 20, 2022, 11:17 PM
old rugged cross
First thing you need to determine is Angle or straight.

Swarovski is going to be top tier.
I hear a Vortex Razor on the used market is good.
Price range is going to be $1000-$2500.
I would not go into compact units unless you are going to pack it. Which is whole nother topic. Many choose to go bino and tripod in that case.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
August 21, 2022, 04:46 AM
PHC
What distance do you plan to use the spotting scope? The greater the distance the more money you will spend.

Retired PHC USN
August 21, 2022, 07:25 AM
OttoSig
100 yards almost exclusively with the ranges I have access to

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
August 21, 2022, 07:54 AM
PHC
At a 100 yards you can get buy with a $250+/- spotting scope that you will have no problems seeing 22 cal holes. Look at Cabela’s type of store. Figure every time you double the distance of 100 yards you will double the money

Retired PHC USN
August 21, 2022, 08:29 AM
sigfreund
Since angled/straight has been mentioned, I highly recommend angled for ease of use in different positions and heights. Some scopes don’t come in angled versions, but unless I needed the scope’s other features for some reason, as with my Leupold Mark 4 with Horus reticle, the angled eyepiece would be a primary consideration.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 21, 2022, 08:43 AM
SIGfourme
A quick internet search was very disappointing .
Very little available and prices are not friendly.

SWFA is a really good site to see what is available. I have not been disappointed with their used section--Samplelist.
Link:

https://www.samplelist.com/bar...ng-scope-demo-a.html
August 21, 2022, 08:47 AM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
100 yards almost exclusively with the ranges I have access to

I've used loaner range scopes at 100 yards and $100.00 spotting scopes at that distance.

Almost anything will allow you to see .22 bullet holes at that distance.
August 21, 2022, 08:58 AM
powermad
This has worked for me for casual 100 yd range use.
The tripod is lame and got tossed but I have tripods.
The phone adapter is pretty handy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
August 21, 2022, 09:08 AM
old rugged cross
For a decent or better scope that you can use in the field for wildlife viewing or hunting and on a smaller budget around $400 give or take. A Nikon is your huckleberry. I would not bother to wast money on anything less in quality.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
August 21, 2022, 04:32 PM
Sig Marine
I would suggest looking at some “birding” sites; they usually are good at critiquing spotters at various price points while discussing the pros/cons of the different scopes

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know
August 31, 2022, 02:38 PM
tacfoley
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
I would suggest looking at some “birding” sites; they usually are good at critiquing spotters at various price points while discussing the pros/cons of the different scopes

Unless you need a scope with a graticule, there is no difference between a spotting scope for bullet holes and a spotting scope for birds.

I use mine for both.
August 31, 2022, 05:46 PM
lyman
angled, and LER if you want to look thru the scope while in position,

Kowa is the standard,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

September 06, 2022, 12:52 PM
Hamden106
I have used a Bushnell Sentry 20x for 50 some years. Used it for NRA prone matches 100yds and CF benchrest up to 200yd. For longer distance I have this with multiple power eye pieces.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished