SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    *** Update with velocity data. A review: SIG MCX Virtus and 300 BLK magazines.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*** Update with velocity data. A review: SIG MCX Virtus and 300 BLK magazines. Login/Join 
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
What does a decent chronograph run? I need to get one for reloading anyway. I just picked up a 16" Q Honey Badger 300 barrel that I'll have built into a rifle by spring to compare with my 8.3" BA Hanson pistol.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
What does a decent chronograph run? I need to get one for reloading anyway. I just picked up a 16" Q Honey Badger 300 barrel that I'll have built into a rifle by spring to compare with my 8.3" BA Hanson pistol.

Two of the better ones on the market are Labradar at $560 and Magnetospeed V3 at $380. There are recent discussions of both models in both the rifle section and the reloading section of this site.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Until recently (still?) there were several advertisements for the Labradar at $500.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The main thing that I did not care for about my 9 inch MCX 300 Blackout Virtus pistol when I had it, was it's weight,it was much heavier than the 9 inch AR Blackout build that I have now.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The SIG MCX is no lightweight, and seems heavier (to me) because of its small size. With the SB brace, Aimpoint CompM5 sight, and plastic Magpul sights, mine weighs 7.3 pounds.

My primary serious purposes Colt LE6920 that is similarly equipped for the purpose (except plastic handguard) weighs only 1.1 pounds more.

Without trying to weigh the individual components, I suspect that much of the added weight of the MCX is due to its piston operating system and larger upper receiver to house it. The sturdy aluminum handguard and SB brace are no featherweights, either.

If I must hike across the Gobi and with any possibility of the need to shoot something, though, I’ll take the Colt and suffer with the extra weight. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the factory specs from both the manufacturers websites. The 9 inch MCX Virtus 300 blackout pistol weights 7lbs. A *16* inch barreled Colt model 6920 weights 6.95 lbs, with a 7 inch longer barrel.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post